Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 AM
n - 1

OT: Electric shaver

After many years of sporting a beard, I recently started shaving again. I've bought a razor kit from Harry's and been shaving for about a month.
And it's not fairing well. Razor burns, cuts. Not a pretty sight. Never had this problem in the past. Not sure if my skin's gone through some change over the last 10 years.

I'm thinking of switching to an electric shaver. Any suggestions? I was looking at this Braun at Costco.

https://m.costco.com/Braun-Series-7-...100334962.html

They've got some Philips there that look good as well.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Classics Fan

Interesting.

I don't want to suggest your technique is bad, but before you buy the electric, I'd just make sure you're doing everything you're supposed to as far as optimal shaving with a regular razor.

Try to keep growth to just a couple days so the whiskers are not too long, doing it after a long hot shower so the whiskers are softened, ample shaving cream, light pressure, slow strokes.

the worst shaves, for me, are when the whiskers are a tad long, and I wait too long after the shower and they've dried out.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
After many years of sporting a beard, I recently started shaving again. I've bought a razor kit from Harry's and been shaving for about a month.
And it's not fairing well. Razor burns, cuts. Not a pretty sight. Never had this problem in the past. Not sure if my skin's gone through some change over the last 10 years.

I'm thinking of switching to an electric shaver. Any suggestions? I was looking at this Braun at Costco.

https://m.costco.com/Braun-Series-7-...100334962.html

They've got some Philips there that look good as well.
I can't use an electric. I also use Harry's blades and they are great, but this is my secret:

Old 04-08-2017, 10:54 AM

I used Norelco now but I have also used Braun foil head shavers in the past. The Braun shaved a little closer but the Norelco is more comfortable.

I have found that a pre-shave lotion like Williams 'Lectric shave makes a big difference in comfort/closeness but I'm satisfied with shaves without any lotion.

If you buy at COSTCO you can always return anything you aren't happy with. I think Norelco often has offered 30 day free trials wherever you buy theirs. The thing that surprised me about their offer is that you can"t return a Norelco before 30 days because they think it takes that long for you and your beard to become accustomed to the shaver.

I think Norelco is the same as Phillips.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:23 AM

I shave with a straight which - to me - is just superior in providing the best shave with negligible razor burn or ingrown hair, but I will not prostletize beyond that.....

What I will suggest is that you look into getting a good quality shaving brush and some high quality shaving soap, and learn how to make a proper lather. Lots out there to choose from, but I like soaps with tallow. I like and use Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, Valobra stick, etc.

Whatever you do, prepping your face will go a long way to help. Think 'cushion and glide'....

GL

Last edited by OtayBW; 04-08-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Interesting.

I don't want to suggest your technique is bad, but before you buy the electric, I'd just make sure you're doing everything you're supposed to as far as optimal shaving with a regular razor.

Try to keep growth to just a couple days so the whiskers are not too long, doing it after a long hot shower so the whiskers are softened, ample shaving cream, light pressure, slow strokes.

the worst shaves, for me, are when the whiskers are a tad long, and I wait too long after the shower and they've dried out.
This... if you stay with a regular razor. If you go electric the Braun is a great choice. It takes a week or two to "train" your face for an electric razor so expect a little discomfort at first. Shave everyday, it's just easier on your skin because the razor will pull longer hairs or they won't easily go through the mesh. Also, softening your beard before you shave helps... I like using "Williams 'Lectric Shave" to prep my beard and face. Shave with the grain, then make a second pass against the grain to get a closer shave.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Imshi Cycles

i have a 7 series braun, bought it like 4 months ago, its been great, shaves very close (for an electric razor) and is very well made (in germany).

that said, the little flip out trimmer is a little awkward to use for anything other than sideburns, which is only an issue if you are not shaving everyday (which i don't).

overall, I'm very happy with it and would not hesitate to recommend.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:50 PM

I like Norelco the best, as it's the most comfortable and, using the Williams pre shave it's about as effortless as it can be. The Brauns and other foil heads just never were as effortless imho, and always took longer. You don't even have to watch yourself in the mirror with the Nerelco, shaving with it is just second nature...and effortless.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:08 PM

Usually default to a blade, but with electric I'm a fan of Panasonic.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:31 PM
50 bpm

My face looks like a character in The Walking Dead if I try to use a blade, so I've been a Norelco user for going on 40 years. I think I've had five of them. The current one is four years old with new blades.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:08 PM

I have the 9 series. I've owned the 7 and 5 series for decades. The 9 is much quieter than the other models, and the head/cutter is comfortable. The 7 shaves well and the heads are relatively inexpensive. The downsides are noise, and my trimmer broke easily.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:11 PM

I have that razor. I've shaved with a Braun for almost 15 years. I go back to a blade every now and then, and am reminded about how much I prefer the Braun. I also use the Electra or whatever preshave that you can get at the grocery store. I'm totally satisfied. I've done the math compared to the Gillette Mach 4 which I use on my legs and over time the Braun is also less expensive.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I like Norelco the best, as it's the most comfortable and, using the Williams pre shave it's about as effortless as it can be. The Brauns and other foil heads just never were as effortless imho, and always took longer. You don't even have to watch yourself in the mirror with the Nerelco, shaving with it is just second nature...and effortless.
This ...Norelco for 10 years...tried others came back...I like a blade shave but no comparison considering time & cost of electric...
Old 04-08-2017, 08:34 PM

Before you abandon the razor, check your method.

Hot water on the face; doesn't need to be super hot.

Apply whatever lather you're using.

I find this is the key: Wait one to two minutes with a lathered face before shaving.

Shaving cream, aided by the warm water, softens the whiskers, making for a smoother shave.

Almost forgot: I wet and lather my face, then head back into the bedroom and put on my pants and shoes, then head back to the bathroom to shave. No sense standing idle in front of the mirror waiting for my whiskers to soften! It's a time saver.

Last edited by Peter P.; 04-09-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-08-2017, 09:20 PM

I had to switch to electric after I got hit by a car and got left with scarring on my face. I always had had bad luck with relatively inexpensive rotary shavers and much preferred safety razors. After my accident, I started using a higher end Panasonic foil razor (https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ES-...=shaverguru-20). I would never ever go back to blades even if I could. The electric is much faster and more convenient, and gives me a shave that is almost as close without razor bumps, ingrown hairs or nicks and cuts.