Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Lanterne rouge

OT, whats with all these mattress stores?

I can occupy my kids time in the car counting them along the road. One on every corner. How do they stay in business?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 PM

Combination of high margins, low operating costs, and lucrative financing schemes.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 PM

yep
Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 PM
coffee consumer

my brother is a huge costco guy....he was talking about buying a mattress from one of those shops....i asked him why not costco? he just didn't know they sold mattresses.....

i'm with you though...no idea how many mattresses it takes to keep a mattress shop open....also, the number of sub sandwich shops is unsettling.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:29 PM

A long time ago when I had a shop there was a mattress store nearby. I think they paid $9k in rent monthly, in the late 80s to late 90s. My understanding was that the margins on a mattress was in the 70-80% range, meaning when you bought a $1000 mattress the store was making something like $700-800. That might have been an exaggeration but a car dealer colleague used to sell mattresses and said it was much more lucrative than selling cars (he quit selling cars).
Old 04-04-2017, 09:47 PM

yeah and folks seem to dislike used mattresses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
A long time ago when I had a shop there was a mattress store nearby. I think they paid $9k in rent monthly, in the late 80s to late 90s. My understanding was that the margins on a mattress was in the 70-80% range, meaning when you bought a $1000 mattress the store was making something like $700-800. That might have been an exaggeration but a car dealer colleague used to sell mattresses and said it was much more lucrative than selling cars (he quit selling cars).
nm
Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 AM

...and the bedbug epidemic....
Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 AM

When they take away your old mattress, don't they just recycle them? New covers?

Charles Rogers mattresses. Direct from the factory. Made the old fashioned way and in the USA. The Best.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
That's just the markup % not gross margin. I think that's closer to 30-40% which is okay but what others have mentioned it's the financing that makes them the loot.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
That's just the markup % not gross margin. I think that's closer to 30-40% which is okay but what others have mentioned it's the financing that makes them the loot.
They say that the next financial crisis always begins somewhere that people are not looking. Even money bet that the mattress backed subprime loans are the next tipping point.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
They say that the next financial crisis always begins somewhere that people are not looking. Even money bet that the mattress backed subprime loans are the next tipping point.
Mattress bubble. Weird
Old 04-05-2017, 09:22 AM

I managed a number of apartments for about 14 years. People commonly discarded what seemed to be perfectly good (if cheapish) mattresses all the time. They seem to be consumables at this point.

I'm 53 years old and have only had 3 mattresses (at least in a primary home) in my adult life.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
...and the bedbug epidemic....

This. The average mattress is 15 years old. At that point, it consists of about 80% bedbug/dead skin/sweat/bacteria combo. You can finance a new one over 4 years like a new car. No Brainer
Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 AM

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/mattress-store-bubble/
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 AM

online vs brick and mortar

A comparison of online mattress prices (bed in a box, saatva, eluxury, and so on) and brick and morter mattress prices makes it pretty obvious how they stay in business. I bought a king size mattress online through bed in a box, paid slightly more than $1000. Incidentally, the best mattress I have ever purchased. Similar mattress at mattress firm was thousands of dollars more.