Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the many positive responses! The fork I had my eye on got away from me...but I'll keep looking.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitonpat View Post
Thanks for the many positive responses! The fork I had my eye on got away from me...but I'll keep looking.
What are you looking for?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 AM

HI, I just got a bike with a UL fork. It looks brand new, but I heard about this recall. Should I not ride it. How can I tell if this is a pre or post recall UL.
I fit the new vittoria corsa G+ 28c with room to spare. Looks like a nice fork. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
The original offerings of the Ouzo Pro were constructed from 150 GSM unidirectional prepreg with an outer layer of 3k twill. Bullet proof safety.

The "Lite" was lighter because it used 120 GSM uni and eliminated the outer layer of twill. As a result it was not quite as stiff or strong. These forks were typically painted matte black as opposed to the original high gloss clear finish.

Both of these forks used the same construction method with a pre made steerer tube assy with an aluminum or Ti crown race seat. These steerers were then co-molded into the fork body.

The final offering in the line was the UL. It used 80 GSM high modulus prepreg and the steerer & fork body were all molded in one operation. It was considerably lighter than the other forks in the line but it had durability issues. The original OP forks passed all the mechanical tests with a generous safety factor. The UL passed but I would not include the word generously in my description of the qualification process. Many folks liked them and thought they rode quite well. Others had issues but no serious catastrophic failures in use that I'm aware of. Cracked steerers etc and there was a recall due to poor bond prep on the dropouts. (Glad to say after I left the company...)

Regarding weigh limits...There were no rider weight limits on any of these products while I was with the company. After that I can't say. I do know that plenty of folks ran them on tandems with no issues. Even the UL....That's a bit scary to me and the couple who showed up at my shop with one on their tandem rode away on a different fork!

Hard to go wrong with an Ouzo Pro as long as you don't want to run fat tires. I remember my partner say that "no self respecting racer would ride anything larger than 23s". Lot's of things have changed since '98 eh?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitonpat View Post
What model and length steerer tube are you looking for?