Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Brown Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
CAAD10 offers the best performance to price ratio on the market. No contest. You can spend a lot more without getting a lot more for it.

Buy it.

Yes, nice looking bike. But I prefer to color-coordinate my rides ...

A nice smooth Brown Ale (one of the finest recovery drinks ever invented) and some tan leather bar wrap with a couple of coats of amber shellac would work quite nicely IMHO.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:17 PM

Preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Thanks very much.
I don't race, in fact, I'm slow. This is a non-necessary purchase being contemplate, driven by never having owned a really light bike designed to go fast. The CAAD10 women-specific design is surprisingly close in terms of reach and stack to the Roubaix, and the Ruby Comp is also a WSD so similar. I'm definitely the guy with the 17 degree stem flipped up on the CAAD10.

Thanks for indulging my questions. Any thoughts about the year of manufacture, and 105 vs. Ultegra?
So I think Ultegra is worth the additional cost over 105. I think you get most of Dura Ace for a much lower price. I think the first year of Caad 10 may have been made in the US, but I'm probably wrong. I think the Specialized Allez E5 is a good pick and you can get a 105 equipped Colnago Strada for a good price. I think the Colnago US site still has Strada's on Closeout.

Ray
Old 04-01-2017, 08:20 PM

Craigslist buy

I may have gotten lucky - randomly looked on Boston Craigslist this afternoon and a 2011 CAAD10 54 had just been posted, and the seller is about 4 miles from my sister's house. Talked to him, sent him the $ via Paypal, and he's going to drop it off at my sister's place.

It's a mix of components - 6700 shifters, derailleurs, and brakes, SRAM carbon crankset, rear wheel is a Powertap and front is an Easton. Photos looked great and he says it's mint. For $600 I thought it worth a gamble, and by the time he called me back he had others in line. Decent guy, I think he called me back because I was first, even though I wasn't at his door with cash.

I really appreciate the input from folks here. Looking forward to riding this one!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:30 PM

You found a great deal! It was posted as a PSA here and by the time I hit the link it was gone. Congrats and enjoy. Lots of fans of the caad 10 and it's supposed to be a great go fast bike
Old 04-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Sounds like a fine deal ! If you like the feel of the bike, it'll be easy to upgrade to some of the components you were considering. The only input I could offer is that Ultegra 6800 is a very smooth group, and as people say, you get most of Dura Ace for way less money. If I make it down your way this summer, I'll look forward to seeing it.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:04 PM

Riding the CAAD10

Swapped to a zero setback post and a shorter stem, +6, with 25mm of spacer. Yields about 3 cm drop saddle to bar, whereas my other road bikes are even. Changed the 53 to a 48 and the 11-28 to a 12-30. Some lighter wheels coming (no need for the Powertap that's on there.) May get it just under 17 pounds.

Beautiful mid-50Fs day here, and got in 61 miles on the CAAD. Comfort was fine - I think the cause of it being less smooth than my Anderson comes from 25mm tires at 90 - 95 psi vs. 37mm tires at 60 psi, and about 3 cm less chainstay length, which puts my butt more directly over the rear wheel, rather than it being aluminum.

It's a keeper, and I really appreciate the encouragement from folks in this thread that helped me make the leap!
Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Thanks! Already rocking some H+ son alchemys from OP and do agree that this helps. I was previously riding some cheaper vredestein 25s on these rims and didn't find them to be great. I currently have a pair of campy shamals on the bike w veloflex tires and while I like how they roll can't imagine a more punishing ride unless I get rid of the tires altogether.

I had some tubulars in the past and the ride was ok but I'm too lazy to be glueing tires. If that's what it takes to make my caad10 tolerable I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a big guy? I'm about 160 ride Veloflex master and corsa with latex tubes. A very comfy ride for me. I've ridden many different tires. I suspect you are riding with too much tire pressure. Don't go anywhere near the pressure recommended by the manufacturer. Experiment based on your weight. I think you'll find some of the cushion you desire.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Swapped to a zero setback post and a shorter stem, +6, with 25mm of spacer. Yields about 3 cm drop saddle to bar, whereas my other road bikes are even. Changed the 53 to a 48 and the 11-28 to a 12-30. Some lighter wheels coming (no need for the Powertap that's on there.) May get it just under 17 pounds.

Beautiful mid-50Fs day here, and got in 61 miles on the CAAD. Comfort was fine - I think the cause of it being less smooth than my Anderson comes from 25mm tires at 90 - 95 psi vs. 37mm tires at 60 psi, and about 3 cm less chainstay length, which puts my butt more directly over the rear wheel, rather than it being aluminum.

It's a keeper, and I really appreciate the encouragement from folks in this thread that helped me make the leap!
Again, unless your weight demands that tire pressure. Try less. Just give it a try. I think you'll be glad you did. You'll still have your fast bike.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:50 PM
aka RAEKWON

aluminum can be comfortable if the bike fits good. I loved my spooky but after 40-50 miles it would become uncomfortable to me... not because it was aluminum but because of the geometry, head tube was too short (race bike).

also, that bike was a rocket and build up real light. Aluminum is great but I always had a steel bike to go with it.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:58 PM

Marketing is so weird.

but

CAADs are berry, berry nice.

Have had this one for 6 years (fits 32s!):

Just got this one (more comfy!)
bikez, on Flickr
Old 04-23-2017, 07:36 PM

you made a great choice. I don't think there's any better value out there, and it's a worthy platform for whatever you want to hang on it.

Beeatnik, 32's?? No way! I've got ultegra brakes, most clearance I could find, and can only go 28's and that's if they're not fat 28's (vittorias, for example). My CAAD is probably a 2012 or 2013. Think they dropped the brake height later?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:34 PM

I would say test ride it. If you like it and feel its a good deal, buy it.