Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 09:44 PM

Adding a speedy bike to the stable

I haven't owned anything considered a race bike and my clear trend has been to wider tires, but having a hankering to try a bike built for speed. Noticed REI has women-specific (shorter reach, better fit for me) CAAD10 Ultegra for $1250. Good idea?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I haven't owned anything considered a race bike and my clear trend has been to wider tires, but having a hankering to try a bike built for speed. Noticed REI has women-specific (shorter reach, better fit for me) CAAD10 Ultegra for $1250. Good idea?
They are stiff and will "feel" fast, but if you're looking for a "fast" bike, I think the experts would say go with an aero setup, which the CAAD10 is not meant to be. I've owned a couple and enjoyed them at the time. Not my jam anymore though.

Check your local Cannondale dealer and the "big dealers" in your state too - they often run crazy discounts at random times and you could get lucky with a CAAD12 or similar at a really good price. For example: http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com...5-237283-1.htm

Another bike to check out that would be considered on the faster side and "aero", would be the Specialized Allez Sprint DSW. You'll pay a few hundred more to get one even with 105, but it's a frameset you could hang nice parts on over time for sure.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:40 AM

I disagree. The CAAD10 is an entry level race bike that deserves whatever you want to hang off of it. Aero frames offer marginal gains, gains that are negated by sitting up a centimeter higher or lifting your chin up. For the advanced racer that is dialed in, they help a little. For everyone else, they're marketing.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:30 AM

I certainly don't have the flat back aero position :-)
Thanks for people's opinions, helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I disagree. The CAAD10 is an entry level race bike that deserves whatever you want to hang off of it. Aero frames offer marginal gains, gains that are negated by sitting up a centimeter higher or lifting your chin up. For the advanced racer that is dialed in, they help a little. For everyone else, they're marketing.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Neat bike for the price point.

https://www.rei.com/product/892492/c...mens-bike-2016

Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 AM

I say Test Ride it, you might like it.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:

True. I just thought OP was bit by the "latest tech aero bug".

I had a CAAD10 Black Inc w SRAM Red - great bike, super fast and efficient, just not as bling as a Venge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 AM
aka RAEKWON

can't go wrong with a caad. Pretty much what I recommend to anyone I know that comes to me with a $1000 budget, they are fantastic frames. Yes aluminum can be jarring but with the right tires and right frame size its a good ride. Also you can't be the weight/price.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 AM
kg

I don't get it. The aero benefits accrue no matter how you sit. I suppose one could argue that a lower position on a less aero bike is better than a less aero position on a more aero bike. But constant position (whatever it is) yields the same aero benefits of the frame. One could also argue that the benefits of an aero frame are too small to be worthwhile. I might agree but I'm not sure yet.

Quote:
Old 03-23-2017, 07:46 AM

CAAD10 offers the best performance to price ratio on the market. No contest. You can spend a lot more without getting a lot more for it.

Buy it.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 AM

I have been in a similar boat to you, my bikes always cleared 28s or fatter. Many had racks, ways to carry gear, and a fe extra things.

I recently picked up a "race bike" in all its simplicity because of that desire for speed. it as not a mistake, ive been having a blast riding this go fast bike. it makes me ride faster because i feel like i have to
Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
I don't get it. The aero benefits accrue no matter how you sit. I suppose one could argue that a lower position on a less aero bike is better than a less aero position on a more aero bike. But constant position (whatever it is) yields the same aero benefits of the frame. One could also argue that the benefits of an aero frame are too small to be worthwhile. I might agree but I'm not sure yet.
I think the issue is whether aero gains should be a valid consideration for someone whose riding style is already not very aero. It's like removing the carpets and putting a carbon fiber hood on an F150... you might save a few lbs, which would theoretically help with performance, but it's sort of a weird area to focus on for an already massive truck.

Also, not comparing the OP to a massive truck.

Last edited by tumbler; 03-23-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
The bold is my point.

For a racer that's dialed in and is due for a frame upgrade, an aero frame is a consideration. They also tend to be heavier, which is another consideration. However, replacing the frame solely for gaining a few watts doesn't make sense to me, but that's just me.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
can't go wrong with a caad. Pretty much what I recommend to anyone I know that comes to me with a $1000 budget, they are fantastic frames. Yes aluminum can be jarring but with the right tires and right frame size its a good ride. Also you can't be the weight/price.

What tires/wheels do you recommend for a better caad10 ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Comfy Wheels:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=164445
plus:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html
or:
https://www.merlincycles.com/vittori...yre-93479.html

you can also improve the sound the frame makes by spraying a bit of plasti-dip or zip-tieing a thin rubber sheet on the underside of the downtube. (Which is essentially what the engineers do with the aluminum-bodied Ford F150 to reduce the noise from the lighter panels.)