Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Everything else aside, that name is unspeakably terrible. It's the "actually, it's pronounced PRO-SHOOT" of the bicycle world.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Everything else aside, that name is unspeakably terrible. It's the "actually, it's pronounced PRO-SHOOT" of the bicycle world.
I love ham.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
i thought we had that already with
thule (thool, tool-ee)
miche (meesh, mee-kay)
cervelo (sare-velo, sir-velo, chair-velo)
sram (sram, schram)
willier (will-year, villeyah)
sufjan stevens
oh, and the italians: How to Pronounce Italian Cycling Brands
Old 03-10-2017, 01:05 PM

Ben Serotta's new Modomio

I can see Ben's point of offering the bike with a certain component set. Each frame can be configured just one way. If he offered the frame as a Di2, Etap, and cable operated frame, each frame would be configured with entirely different fittings. That is just not very practical for such limited prediction. BTW- anybody that complains about Etap probably hasn't used it. I have the group on my current road bike and it is fantastic- light, positive shifting, easy as could be to install, and not terribly expensive. Now that Etap is available in a WiFli group, it now is useful for people who like to climb but may not be Tour professionals. That's something you still can't get with Di2 or Campy's groups.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
And that italian name?It is just plain ridiculous. Yo Ben... you are not italian.

Better than the french names I couldn't pronounce. What was it the Core Dicer? Very infomercial-ish.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Senior Shmoozer

If you know Ben...

I'm not passing judgement, but
this new enterprise is CLASSIC Ben Serotta in every way.

I still ride mine too

VF
Old 03-12-2017, 04:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdye View Post
I can see Ben's point of offering the bike with a certain component set. Each frame can be configured just one way. If he offered the frame as a Di2, Etap, and cable operated frame, each frame would be configured with entirely different fittings. That is just not very practical for such limited prediction. BTW- anybody that complains about Etap probably hasn't used it. I have the group on my current road bike and it is fantastic- light, positive shifting, easy as could be to install, and not terribly expensive. Now that Etap is available in a WiFli group, it now is useful for people who like to climb but may not be Tour professionals. That's something you still can't get with Di2 or Campy's groups.
Not necessarily. Many, mostly carbon, frame makers have figured out how to make a frame that can be plumbed for mechanical or electronic. Making it etap ONLY makes it cheaper to make, no doubt about it.

And in the future, have this frame and gee, want to go 'back to the future' and put a say, vintage shimano group on it, cuz, ya know, just cuz and good frames last forever but...........cannot.

Want giganto cogs in the back with EPS, Di2? Swap the cage.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:22 PM

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...s#.WPwN29QrK9K

Quote:
...Serotta is not a huge fan of the gravel bike trend. He said he's always felt comfortable riding any of his road bikes on dirt or gravel roads, and prefers the handling of a traditional road racing bike with a relatively low bottom bracket, rather than a high-bottom bracket, upright position gravel bike...

Still Serotta has responded to some trends. His new frames and forks have clearance for a 32mm tire, although he designs the bikes around a 25-28mm tire. The unnamed semi-production frame line will be available for disc brakes only.

"I feel the disc brakes are inevitable. At this point I'm agreeing they are good for many applications and they are what bikes are going to use in the future," he said, sounding a bit weary of the debate over road discs.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not necessarily. Many, mostly carbon, frame makers have figured out how to make a frame that can be plumbed for mechanical or electronic. Making it etap ONLY makes it cheaper to make, no doubt about it.

And in the future, have this frame and gee, want to go 'back to the future' and put a say, vintage shimano group on it, cuz, ya know, just cuz and good frames last forever but...........cannot.

Want giganto cogs in the back with EPS, Di2? Swap the cage.
I totally want to agree with you as I always liked your belief that the frame makes the bike as the rest of it wears and tears and as such are consumables. However to a fault the opposite maybe true or as they also say horses for courses. We live in a day of age where people ride bikes the way they wear outfits or suits.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Yeah, but they tired to a run of CSI's a few years ago. Needed something like 10 orders to make is feasible.
It was talked up on this site but it never happened. I think only one person signed up.

Paceliners like their CSI's- but only when they get them on Ebay for pennies on the dollar.
Not completely correct.......the fine folks at Serotta built me two incredibly nice CSi's before the company folded😉. I still have them both too.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:59 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
All those quotes "Those tubes are not good enough for xxx.. so he had to have his own tubeset especially made". It´s a freaking tig welded steel road bike. Btw.. i find it insulting to builders that have to do w/ "not good enough tubing".
Why not come out w/ a line of affordable steel bikes made in batches in the US, under his name which is well respected? Maybe that´s not a good business plan but at least it is less pretentious. And that italian name?It is just plain ridiculous. Yo Ben... you are not italian.
I'm pretty sure he cannot use his name. He sold it when he "sold" his brand.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:42 PM

https://dailygazette.com/node/259813

Quote:
One immediately noticeable difference is the brand name on the custom bikes. It’s not “Serotta,” but “A Modo Mio,” which in Italian means “In My Way” or "My Way" ... as in Ben Serotta building the bikes exactly the way he wants, and the buyer specifying its fit and dimensions exactly the way he or she wants.

Asked if he has a legal right to use his own name on his bikes after selling his old company, Serotta said: “That’s probably debatable, but I'm not going to have the debate. Truth is, I'm proud of that company, but I'm not trying to relaunch that company under a different name.”