Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 AM

OT: German Shepherd DM

Anyone have any experience with German Shepherds and Degenerative Myelopathy? Our German Shepherd has lost use of 1 hind leg. Other than his current condition all else seems to be good.

Thinking about getting a Walking Wheels wheelchair to get him back out for walks.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 PM

If your dog is relatively old you have to think well what do you want to do, GS is a super nice dog but they dont last too long due to neurological problems you know, thats just how it goes. IMO that you can get a wheelchair for the animal doesnt mean is the right thing to do, but thats just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:20 PM

Go for it. Do what you want and what you can to keep her by your side.
I had 2 GS, both female. Mom and daughter who was born in my house. I lost the oldest last year. I won´t say anything else.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:00 PM
v a n i l l a

With pets, we all do what we can in the context of our budget. Get the walking wheechair if you can

Here is our GS - my daughter named her Luna, after the women's mountain biking team.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:04 PM

As a GS owner(actually She owns me) I would do anything that makes you and your pup happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1304.jpg (90.4 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Dale Alan; 03-01-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:08 PM

Long time GSD owner myself. I'd say that the only alternatives are 1) the unthinkable, and 2) the walker. To me, Option #1 is never an option unless you just wake up one day and realize - without intellectualizing it - that that must be done - and immediately - for some very serious condition. No decision needed; you just know that it's time. Everything short of that is Option #2, to keep your pal around as long as possible.

I'd suggest trying not to anthropomorphize the dog, although it's easy. He'll adapt and will not be 'thinking about it' in the sense that you might.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Long time GSD owner myself. I'd say that the only alternatives are 1) the unthinkable, and 2) the walker. To me, Option #1 is never an option unless you just wake up one day and realize - without intellectualizing it - that that must be done - and immediately - for some very serious condition. No decision needed; you just know that it's time. Everything short of that is Option #2, to keep your pal around as long as possible.

I'd suggest trying not to anthropomorphize the dog, although it's easy. He'll adapt and will not be 'thinking about it' in the sense that you might.

Good luck!
To add bike content this, when I rode home on Monday, there was an owner taking his dogs for a walk at a traffic light. There was a smaller terrier but the larger dog (maybe even a GS) had a walker. The dog in the walker looked back at its owner like it was clearly happy to be getting a walk. The park was across the street.

I was raised in a house that had hounds. The limit on the unthinkable is when the dog can't control it's facilities and is not enjoying life. Until that time, it's a balance of quality of life. Only you can decide what makes that balance for you.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
To add bike content this, when I rode home on Monday, there was an owner taking his dogs for a walk at a traffic light. There was a smaller terrier but the larger dog (maybe even a GS) had a walker. The dog in the walker looked back at its owner like it was clearly happy to be getting a walk. The park was across the street.

I was raised in a house that had hounds. The limit on the unthinkable is when the dog can't control it's facilities and is not enjoying life. Until that time, it's a balance of quality of life. Only you can decide what makes that balance for you.
Agreed. Of the three times that I have had to make that decision in my life, no matter how long in the process, there was really 'no decision' necessary - only clear thinking/correct action presents itself at the moment it it needed.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:49 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Agreed. Of the three times that I have had to make that decision in my life, no matter how long in the process, there was really 'no decision' necessary - only clear thinking/correct action presents itself at the moment it it needed.
I'm glad folks have shared this thought, since I had to make that call with our malamute a long time ago without prior experience. that dog was simply awesome - but she had GI issues (prescription food), and towards the end saw a canine ophthalmologist, and had radiation treatment for a snout tumor. I never understood people spending money on their pets until this dog. Of course we did a calculus...quality and duration of life against our budget. we did all we could and when the time came, it was obvious. I was glad it was obvious.

With our GS I will probably have to tell my daughter over the phone while she is away at college. that will be tough, since she is just crazy about the Luna dog.
Not many people have seen a white one, hence the pictures.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Freda at the park 2010 by Geoffrey Morgan, on Flickr

This is Freda. She was a girl we got when she was abandoned at age 13. (Yes, there are people who do that.) We had her for 18 months, and she was awesome. She and our four year old shepherd had a great time together. About six months in, Freda's DM had got to the point that she couldn’t really walk any longer. We measured her up and put in a call to Eddie’s Wheels.

We got the wheels, and wrestled her in – she wasn’t happy about it…but after about 30 seconds, she figured out that she was FULL ON F-ING BACK IN CHARGE. Holy F did she tear up the local park! She chased every dog around! She chased everyone! She ran over people’s feet with those wheels! She had the best time!

We had several months of awesomeness, followed by further decline and eventually Freda left us. She had a short, but good run with us. She now resides in a box on our shelf, in our hearts, and the wheels were donated to another worthy pup. There is nothing but goodness in this story.

TLDR: Call Eddie. Get the wheels. Your pup will be so happy. You will be happy. Who cares what they cost.

Message me if you have questions.
-Geoff