Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 AM

POV Racing on the Steepest Velodrome in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEy9wP-NK9o

This looks like so much fun

I love how you look UP to see the guys in front of you.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 AM

It does look pretty cool, though I'm no track dude.

How wide was his bar? I know if was distorted from the camera angle, but it looked like it was 30cm wide!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Cool track. Just don't understand it,those guys who were dropped were out of it from the get go. Pointless. This one I could understand but loved it when Bob Lea dropped them. http://video.silverlineathletics.com...=3624187018001

Last edited by bobswire; 03-01-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 PM

I paid a visit to that velodrome years ago, actually was the 1st velodrome I rode in this sie of the continent after like after 20 years. Steep? I dont know what to tell you because I been in 45 degrees tracks before and this one was ok. What makes it look steeper IMO is that the curves are stupidly short because that building was a building to play hockey and they built the track on top, so as makes sense you can't have long curves and that kind'a play tricks on you...

Velodromes look steep but once you are in the track after a few minutes you dont see them like super steep, in my country we had one that was 250 meters (the one in the video is like 120 meters long) made of concrete and with 45 or 47 degrees banks.

At the one in the video if you go you will see a lot of old european riders, actually english and scotish ones using road bikes as fix gear with 170 mm cranks. As long as you are like 20 or 25 km/h you can ride there w/o any problem.

That track is a blast, super nice people is in charge of the place aswell
Old 03-01-2017, 12:51 PM
The B!

Holy **** that's a short/steep track! intense!

What is that, like 150m? Tops?

Looks like the bank is radiused to the water line... that's a nice feature. Our track is also very steep, but just angles from the infield track. You can still ride the crook, but it's kind of intimidating, because if you veer below the water line you'll suddenly find yourself at a 45 degree incline to the deck.

Man I wish Alpenrose was indoors. Or at least had a roof... I wonder what it would take to put one on it
Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 PM

Hometown proud!

Awesome, this is from my hometown...

Previous posters are right--this was built as the London Gardens in the early 60s then was renamed the "Ice House". It was built originally for our local OHL (Ontario Hockey League) team, the London Knights. The building is super small for velodrome application, and I remember when it was being built, everyone knew it would be short and steep.

My brother in law is still in town and races there, he says it is a blast! They are pretty careful there--in order to ride / race there you have to take like 5 or 6 safety courses over a period of time to ensure you know what you're doing!