Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Dream interpretation

So I have this recurring dream where I head out on my bike but soon realize, painfully, that my crankset has such tiny crank arms that I'm only flipping my feet up and down as if I had flippers on under water, and I can't ride fast at all. I feel like a circus bear on a tricycle.

Even worse, when I get out of the saddle intending to get some power going I discover that my bar is set at chest height, so instead of sprinting like Cavendish I'm basically standing straight up on the bike. Like a...circus bear pushing a walker.

The dream takes place in the bike lane on Maisonneuve in Montreal (here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.49779...7i13312!8i6656) I don't live in Montreal, but I love to visit and ride through the city to get to La Route Verte. But in the dream the regular commuters and hipsters are flying by me, the schlub in the racing kit on the racing bike toodling along at 10 km/h.

I never make it to Pont Jacques-Cartier in the dream. I think sometimes even dreams realize when you're defeated by frustration, and give you a break. Otherwise they'd be nightmares, I guess.

So does this dream mean that I need more fibre in my diet? Or is it just an indication that it's early March, aka late winter, i.e. I'm itching to get back into a regular riding routine after a couple months of fitful rides here and there in between snow and cold?

Are you allowed to have tools in your dreams? What are the rules? Maybe I could stop, conjure up an impromptu workstand from behind the piano-playing Michelin Man, and replace the crankset with time to spare to get some quality riding in before the scene shifts to Mrs. Mathers' math class where I try to hide my boner while at the chalkboard.

So many questions...
Old 02-28-2017, 06:25 PM

It means you need to get a Bixi when they come back and ride one up Mont Royal.
And then go cycle to Marinoni in Terrebonne.
And then have a pint at Dieu du Ciel
Old 02-28-2017, 07:27 PM

I'm no psychiatrist, but the Freudian meaning behind the "tiny crank arms" and the connection to the chalkboard incident seems obvious while the bar at "chest height" and mother figure fixation allegorically personified by Mrs. Mathers suggest strong Oedipal implications. Either get on your trainer and chant "serenity now" or seek intense therapy utilizing a healthy inventory of re-enactment dolls.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:35 PM

I have the weirdest, most bizarre dreams you can imagine, never cycling-related though. Luckily, I can't remember most of them when waking up but I remember enough, sometimes, to make me think, "What the hell was THAT all about?".
Old 02-28-2017, 08:33 PM
aka mbrt

I have very strange, frightening dreams right before the alarm goes off; so for me it's time to get up; brush my teeth, wash my face, make coffee and get on with my day.

Ray
Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 PM

It means that cross is coming...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj View Post
I'm no psychiatrist, but the Freudian meaning behind the "tiny crank arms" and the connection to the chalkboard incident seems obvious while the bar at "chest height" and mother figure fixation allegorically personified by Mrs. Mathers suggest strong Oedipal implications. Either get on your trainer and chant "serenity now" or seek intense therapy utilizing a healthy inventory of re-enactment dolls.
Crikey, I never realized I was this messed up. Where do you get the dolls?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Randomhead

I used to have dreams where I was running but not getting anywhere. One night I had a dream that I was running free. Then my wife woke me up and said I was moving my legs like I was running. I think that might have been the last running dream I have had.

I suspect the tiny crank arm dream is similar to the ones where I'm running and not getting anywhere.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:01 AM

For many, many years in my dreams I could never run. In my dreams if I tried to run, there would be no friction between my feet and the ground -- I just slipped in one place.

This happened, as I said, maybe for a decade. Then suddenly, I could run again!

Funny...these dreams of ours...
Old 03-01-2017, 12:25 AM

I wish that my dog would post something in this thread. I'd love to know what he's dreaming about.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
For many, many years in my dreams I could never run. In my dreams if I tried to run, there would be no friction between my feet and the ground -- I just slipped in one place.

This happened, as I said, maybe for a decade. Then suddenly, I could run again!

Funny...these dreams of ours...
+1, like running under water for me. Then those futile running dreams went away and were replaced by light-legged cycling dreams in which climbing and sprinting is painless.

The worst are the few dreams I've had in which all of my bikes have been stolen from my garage. I've literally gotten out of bed and walked downstairs in a cold sweat to make sure it was just a dream/nightmare.