Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 08:58 PM

OT - Coupe or Sedan?

Mercedes has a commercial showing on the Oscars broadcast for their GLC Coupe. It clearly has four doors. Doesn't that make it a sedan?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Mercedes has a commercial showing on the Oscars broadcast for their GLC Coupe. It clearly has four doors. Doesn't that make it a sedan?
Are the Oscars the Academy Awards?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 PM

explanation

I know I have mentioned how negative this place can be so I won't say anything negative about the looks of this car:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...t-drive-review
Old 02-26-2017, 09:32 PM
v a n i l l a

What it makes is Bob Dylan clearly moving into the make a buck who cares twilight
Old 02-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Why does a chicken coop have two doors? Because if it had four doors, it would be a chicken sedan.

Four door cars with sloping rear rooflines (A7, CLS, 6-series sedans) are just sedans with crappy rear headroom. Four door SUVs with same - X6, GLC - are just ugly embarrassments all around.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
why does a chicken coop have two doors? Because if it had four doors, it would be a chicken sedan.

Four door cars with sloping rear rooflines (a7, cls, 6-series sedans) are just sedans with crappy rear headroom. Four door suvs with same - x6, glc - are just ugly embarrassments all around.

+1
Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 AM

If it has four doors it is not a coupe. No matter what the marketing department says. I have ridden in the backseat of an A7 and it was roomy and comfortable back there but I've also ridden in the back seat of a Mercedes CLA and at 5'8" I had to lean inward to keep my head off the roof.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Why does a chicken coop have two doors? Because if it had four doors, it would be a chicken sedan.

Four door cars with sloping rear rooflines (A7, CLS, 6-series sedans) are just sedans with crappy rear headroom. Four door SUVs with same - X6, GLC - are just ugly embarrassments all around.
Christian strikes again!
As I guy I knew used to say, "I hate to have to tell the truth, but..."
Old 02-27-2017, 10:31 AM

M-B, BMW, VW and maybe others have introduced "coupes" with 4 doors. The idea is to have 4 door convenience with the sporty appearance of a coupe. The result, as others have said, is compromised headroom that makes the back seat unusable for many "normal-sized" people.

I suppose a couple with one or two small kids might be able to use the back seat for the kids and enjoy the sporty looks.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I think you just got hired by Car and Driver.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:52 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I thought this was a sedan chair. Now I'm all confused.

Note: it has only one door.

Last edited by Louis; 02-27-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Very true, but fashion sells.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I thought this was a sedan chair. Now I'm all confused.

Note: it has only one door.

Monoporte??
Old 02-27-2017, 04:27 PM

From the Wikipedia article for Coupe:

Quote:
History

The term dates to the French language verb couper, translating as cut, referring to the fact that the body is separated by a cut-off wheel, or "cut in half".[6] The coupé was developed from the berline by removing the rear-facing front passenger seats and shortening the passenger enclosure by a corresponding amount.[4][7] The resulting shortened berline was called halbberline in Germany and berlingot or berline coupé in France. The term "berline coupé" was later shortened to "coupé".[7] Normally, a coupé had a fixed glass window in the front of the passenger compartment.[8] The coupé was considered to be an ideal vehicle for women to use to go shopping or to make social visits.[9]

The earliest coupé automobiles had the same form as the coupé carriage, with the driver in the open at the front and an enclosure behind him for two passengers on one bench seat.[10][11] By the 1910s the term had evolved to denote an owner-driven car with the driver and one or two passengers in an enclosure with a single bench seat.[12][13] The coupé de ville, or coupé chauffeur, was an exception, retaining the open driver's section at front.[14]
Quote:
Definitions and descriptions[edit]

The International Standard ISO 3833-1977 defines a coupé as having a closed body, usually with limited rear volume, a fixed roof of which a portion may be openable, at least two seats in at least one row, two side doors and possibly a rear opening, and at least two side windows.[18]

Quote:
Current usage

Today coupé has become more of a marketing term for automotive manufacturers, than a fact of the vehicle's design and technical makeup.[32] The term has been ascribed to vehicles with two, three, or four doors, for their perceived luxury or sporting appeal. This is because coupés in general are seen as more streamlined and sportier overall lines than those of comparable four-door sedans.[33] Hence a coupé would be marketed as a sportier vehicle than a two-door sedan.
Quote:
Although technically a sedan, the Mercedes-Benz CLS is marketed as a sportier "coupé" alternative to the Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan
Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Head to Ned

Doublespeak...