Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM
all slow no go

Shoes: wide and low volume?

Always looking for a better fitting cycling shoe...
I have yet to find a make/model that has good length (usually ~46/47) and width (sometimes a wide model depending on brand), but is relatively low-volume. Maybe it's my pancake flat feet, but if I can get a shoe with the right sole dimensions, I always have to run the top buckle/strap cinched down as tight as possible to get a solid fit (less of an issue towards the forefoot).

Anyone know of any brands that have a mid-to-wide, lower-volume fit?
Currently using Giro Trans in 47 (decent fit, but cinched down as tight as possible), and waiting for a replacement part to try a set of Bont Riots (46) in the hope that heat molding may help.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Your feet are just wide not big all over the place eh???

What you can do is to use large size band aids, the ones that are water resistant, the other thing that Ive noticed id that eventhought are really sticky are easy to remove and gives you not glue residues at removal time, the other thing i noticed is that are sticky like fabric but arent made of fabric, that is a good thing IMO (band aid brand). U put then at the sides and at the tongue of the shoe and maybe one at the heel, that will give you a few mm of volume.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:21 PM

I have low volume feet as well, with tailor's bunions which give them some width. I used to wear giros that were sized up, with the ratchet straps as tight as they'd go (leaving me stuck in the shoes a few times) I finally settled on the s-works 6 (normal width) after trying a 3 or 4 different shoes. The tight heel cup keeps the foot secure while allowing the bottom boa and Velcro to be pretty loose, giving some width. The toe box is also pretty spacious, which helps. Might be worth a shot? As a fair warning, these don't feel like slippers (like giro empires) and arent that comfortable when they first go on, but feel great riding.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 12:43 PM

I have been using thick insoles to help fill the volume of my shoes.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Bont and Lake both have pretty wide fits with volume being manipulated with insoles. After months, yes months, of heat molding sessions the fit was perfect and required very thin insoles. Th shoes practically held on without tightening the shoe.
Lake also has the same heat moldable bathtub soles construction
Old 02-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Classics Fan

you could try getting some tongue pads on amazon to take up some volume on the instep. Won't be a ton of difference but it might be enough to fine tune a fit that is almost there.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:24 PM

I have similar feet and use Bontrager and Lake shoes in regular. I had used other brands in wide but don't need to with Bontrager & Lake.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
...decent fit, but cinched down as tight as possible...
I have been able to modify a number of shoes to refit and in effect shorten the ratchet strap. The strap mount can be removed, the leather/vinyl bit shortened, and the strap mount reattached. A shoe repair guy can be really helpful. I did this recently with a Terraduro pair.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:15 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
I have been able to modify a number of shoes to refit and in effect shorten the ratchet strap. The strap mount can be removed, the leather/vinyl bit shortened, and the strap mount reattached. A shoe repair guy can be really helpful. I did this recently with a Terraduro pair.
I have considered this! Maybe I'll have to pull apart an older pair as an experiment

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 06:50 AM

If you want wide AND low volume - that is Bont.

Wide with normal to high volume would be shimano.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:27 AM
kg

I have the same type of feet. Bont works (I have a brand new Vaypor S 46.5 for sale) and some models of Specialized.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:33 AM

I have flat, low volume feet - not too wide - but so far Giros have treated me well. My favorite is the prolight.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:12 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
you could try getting some tongue pads on amazon to take up some volume on the instep. Won't be a ton of difference but it might be enough to fine tune a fit that is almost there.
Yeah might work, especially since I just need to keep my foot from sliding forward a tiny bit. Going to try heat molding some shoes tonight and see how close I get.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk