Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2017, 05:50 PM

$0.02

I lived in NH '76 - '10 and spent a lot of time in the White Mtns as well as the VT and ME mountains. I would suggest spending some time learning about lightweight hiking - things have changed so much since we traipsed around with big leather boots to support our bodies carrying 40 pound packs (and yes, I still own a pair of custom Limmers from '79, re-soled multiple times plus one major rebuild - but I haven't worn them in the mountains in years). These days I either use low hiking shoes (Merrell or Garmont) or some lightweight Timberland leather boots that weigh half what the Limmers weigh. Going light means less stress on the body and a more enjoyable experience.

You might find that poles help with footing in the more rugged areas.

I don't know what the current best info on lightweight hiking is, but 20 years ago it started with Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking.

Sounds like some great adventure in your future with your boy!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:07 PM

Backpackinglight.com is probably the best place to learn about lightweight hiking. Their articles and forums have a lot of useful info.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 PM

I live about 15 minutes from the AT in southern VA and this is my biased answer. Look into the area(s) around Damascus, VA, Mt. Rogers, Roan Highlands in TN and the Smokies. From Damascus across Whitetop through Grayson Highlands ending at Fox Creek is an awesome 40 mile hike. There are shuttles in Damascus for drop off or pick up. I run on the AT a lot and know the trail very well so let me know if you have any questions about the area. Oh, it will be nasty hot/humid in mid July.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM

TiminVA has offered you great advice. I live about 1 1/2 hours from there and have done many day hikes there. The beauty of the area keeps drawing me back. Damascus is a tiny outdoors town with services (the shuttles being one) for hikers. Grayson Highlands offers great sweeping views. It'll be hot but no where near as hot as Texas.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 AM

Curious what draws you to the AT, versus anything else? While iconic, and certainly beautiful in spots, it sees a lot of traffic.

When our girls were 11, and our son 15, we did the 33 mile Feldtmann Loop in Isle Royale NP, in 4 days/3 nights. While my son and I had a little backpacking experience, my girls and wife did not. Only saw a couple of other hikers, and a ranger, the whole time out. A very special place. Most hike the length of the Island on the Greenstone Ridge Trail, getting dropped off and one end and picked up at the other, but that is a bit longer, and a lot more traveled.

http://www.summitpost.org/feldtmann-loop/260525
Old 02-28-2017, 09:51 AM

Weisan, are you looking at other options, or do you specifically want to be on the AT? Let us know if you're willing to consider elsewhere; there are many recommendations I could make in the Western US.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:14 AM
ZhugeLiang

I am so SO thankful for all the suggestions, encouragement and support I been getting from my pals on this thread. My hope is, it will not only help me with my current planning but serves also as a valuable resource for others who might attempt to do the same in the near future. This is really special.

No, we are certainly not married to the idea of AT only. There are so many beautiful places yet to be explored. So, yeah, if you got other places you would like to recommend in lieu of AT, feel free, we would love to hear them!

Again, my heartfelt thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
we would love to hear them!
maybe an Outside article of interest:

Quote:
TEN THRU-HIKES THAT AREN’T THE PACIFIC CREST TRAIL OR APPALACHIAN TRAIL
http://blog.rei.com/hike/ten-thru-hi...lachian-trail/
Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM

My brother in law did the entire pacific crest trail and has done lots of the AT (I've done much of the Maine/nh sections myself). He likes the john Muir trail section most of all. He also like goat rocks wilderness. You can't go wrong with any, and the ones out west don't get the rain you get on the AT.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

No, we are certainly not married to the idea of AT only. There are so many beautiful places yet to be explored. So, yeah, if you got other places you would like to recommend in lieu of AT, feel free, we would love to hear them!

Again, my heartfelt thanks.
Okay, so: what's your experience level with backpacking?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 AM

The Colorado Trail has spectacular views, is close by, less crowded, has very few bugs, and given your starting date could be thru hiked before the weather turns cold.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:20 PM

great thread. Now i want to go hiking. I have run the Grand Canyon two years in a row. Rim to Rim to Rim. Not going this year. Injured. I would recommend that hike. Its really amazing.
Gregg
Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregblow View Post
great thread. Now i want to go hiking. I have run the Grand Canyon two years in a row. Rim to Rim to Rim. Not going this year. Injured. I would recommend that hike. Its really amazing.
Gregg
You, sir, are an animal.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:53 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Okay, so: what's your experience level with backpacking?
This was asked a couple of times...ok, I will give a straightforward and literal answer. I have done very little leisure-type backpacking (2-3 times week-long backpacking trips. that's all). Most of my "backpacking" experience comes from the army, week-long field expeditions, survival training and such...BUT that was loooooong time ago, back when dinosaurs walked the earth. I have already said this, we are going to take a very conservative approach here towards our abilities. This is not an ego-driven or make-you-into-a-man kinda trip. In fact, I want to treat our hiking distance the same way I ride my bike, I like to end my ride with plenty of reserves in the tank and before...I mean, WAY before my butt starts to hurt - in other words, no centuries for me.

Last edited by weisan; 02-28-2017 at 07:12 PM.