Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 PM

Completely non-scientific but demonstrates the point well enough for me: yes, if you take your bare skin and hold it against a spinning metal rotor it will cut you. If you do the same with your shoe (like is being alleged from the crash) you'd have to force it against a spinning rotor for some period of time before it cut the leather....something that is virtually impossible to do unless you're doing it on purpose.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/vide...episode_431228
Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I just had this image in my head of the old world war 2 era bombers that had a little bomb painted on the nose for each mission they returned from. You should do the same for rides that don't end in a severed digit.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:49 PM

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bike...n-doull-crash/

"After the first material and image investigations, we can say that a disk brake accident can, most likely, be excluded."
Old 02-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post

"After the first material and image investigations, we can say that a disk brake accident can, most likely, be excluded."
Talk about conflicted! World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry.... Mind as well be a report by the disc brake manufacturer's association.

Still, in this case, I don't think it was a disc.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 PM

http://www.wfsgi.org/system/files/20...UZollinger.pdf

Here's the report commissioned by the industry to evaluate the Ventoso injury. It has a couple photos I hadn't seen before. The analysis is a bit naive, not coming from a cyclist, but it does seem to cover all the points. In particular the injury with the tooth marks on the perimeter is pretty telling.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post

Ignore this report. It is a hack job, whose analysis is based soley on pictures found on the internet, and bought a paid for by an organization with a vested interested in promoting disc brake usage by the pro peloton.

It may well be that Ventoso's injury was not caused by a disc rotor. I'm having a bit of trouble believing that it was, based on the scant evidence I've seen. But one shouldn't put any weight behind this report, which is really no better than the pontification already found on the internet.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:05 PM

I'd suggest that everyone just read the report on Ventoso cited above. Sure, the photos have been widely circulated. And sure, it was paid for by the equipment industry. I didn't suggest that you take his words as gospel. Just look at the photos and once again, explain how a left leg can get cut on a rotor that's on the other side of the bike. I see a lot of superficial injuries and what we see here isn't consistent with a rotor. Draw your own conclusion. I don't have a dog in this fight but I'd rather be shown a clear case of a rotor cut. So far, I haven't seen it.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:33 AM

I couldn’t make it thru the whole thread but it reminds me of the saying:

"It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end."

These guys are JRA at 30+ MPH with no real protection and there is a 5 page thread on the dangers of being cut by disc brakes?