Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
So ... what is your objection to discs on the peloton? MIne is about to be clear on the following weeks, on the classics where flats happen, wheels are changed and of course: crashes all over the place.
Mainly no improvement over current rim brake tech. Pros mostly ride in great weather and have their bikes meticulously maintained. A rim brake bike (even with carbon rims) brakes every bit as good in fair weather. You're adding weight and complexity to a system that doesn't need it.

In the wet, I could see them preferring discs especially on hilly or mountainous terrain. However, the percentage of road races that are in dry conditions is much higher.

Advantages of disc are:
Using carbon rims (especially clinchers) on more varied terrain on public roads where you might end up needing to constantly scrub speed.

Wet conditions as disc keep the rims cleaner (nice when changing flats) and work better.

Lower maintenance. Sorry if people disagree, but I use an maintain my stuff a lot. The bike I've done the least amount of work on is my Endpoint with Di2 and hydraulic brakes. The only maintenance I've done since I purchased the bike was I replaced the pads. That's it. Bleeding brakes isn't a regular requirement at all if you set them up right for the get go. Same bike has carbon rims and I don't have to touch the wheels. I even took them on D2R2 with 0 concern for braking on some hairy descents.

It's possible to run more than one wheel diameter. I have a 700X25mm when I'm only riding roads around me and I have 650X40ish for heading off the asphalt.

Discs are also an advantage over long reach calipers or similar brakes that try to gain clearance over large tires. The discs don't care how wide your tires are.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Mainly no improvement over current rim brake tech. Pros mostly ride in great weather and have their bikes meticulously maintained. A rim brake bike (even with carbon rims) brakes every bit as good in fair weather. You're adding weight and complexity to a system that doesn't need it.

In the wet, I could see them preferring discs especially on hilly or mountainous terrain. However, the percentage of road races that are in dry conditions is much higher.

Advantages of disc are:
Using carbon rims (especially clinchers) on more varied terrain on public roads where you might end up needing to constantly scrub speed.

Wet conditions as disc keep the rims cleaner (nice when changing flats) and work better.

Lower maintenance. Sorry if people disagree, but I use an maintain my stuff a lot. The bike I've done the least amount of work on is my Endpoint with Di2 and hydraulic brakes. The only maintenance I've done since I purchased the bike was I replaced the pads. That's it. Bleeding brakes isn't a regular requirement at all if you set them up right for the get go. Same bike has carbon rims and I don't have to touch the wheels. I even took them on D2R2 with 0 concern for braking on some hairy descents.

It's possible to run more than one wheel diameter. I have a 700X25mm when I'm only riding roads around me and I have 650X40ish for heading off the asphalt.

Discs are also an advantage over long reach calipers or similar brakes that try to gain clearance over large tires. The discs don't care how wide your tires are.
MOstly agree except for 2 cases: 1- some races can happen under a blizzard and those races can involve long descents. Discs could work there.
2_ Even on public roads where you have to break often, rim brakes are effective. Even when it is raining and raining hard, i donĀ“t feel i need more brakes unless i had to ride down a mountain and in that case, discs or not, it would be dangerous.

I checked the endpoint on line.. how did you put Di2 to work on that frame?

Last edited by colker; 02-24-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:48 AM
ergottWheels

The Di2 is externally wired and the battery is under the down tube by the BB.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

More today-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/disc...en-says-hansen
Old 02-25-2017, 06:44 AM

I really don't understand all the consternation over disk brakes. I am satisfied with rim brakes but can see the benefit in adverse conditions. But, considering all the potential risks in racing, disk rotors would be FAR down the list I would think. However, logic rarely seems to be applied. In this recent case, there clearly appear to be rust marks on either side of the shoe cut. Pretty sure new disk rotors would not do that. My guess is some roadside barrier caused the cut.

As for the argument that mixing rim and disk brakes in the peloton would have too much variation in braking ability, I beg to differ. What about when aluminum and carbon rims are mixed? They don't exhibit the same braking performance, especially in the wet.

Maybe old spud is correct and this is just a proxy for riders feeling ignored on many issues.

Tim
Old 02-25-2017, 07:23 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I really don't understand all the consternation over disk brakes. I am satisfied with rim brakes but can see the benefit in adverse conditions. But, considering all the potential risks in racing, disk rotors would be FAR down the list I would think. However, logic rarely seems to be applied. In this recent case, there clearly appear to be rust marks on either side of the shoe cut. Pretty sure new disk rotors would not do that. My guess is some roadside barrier caused the cut.

As for the argument that mixing rim and disk brakes in the peloton would have too much variation in braking ability, I beg to differ. What about when aluminum and carbon rims are mixed? They don't exhibit the same braking performance, especially in the wet.

Maybe old spud is correct and this is just a proxy for riders feeling ignored on many issues.

Tim
I agree that it may not have been caused by the rotor but the rust colour is likely dried blood from the cut in his foot.

Last edited by Black Dog; 02-25-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I agree that it may not have been caused by the rotor but the rust colour is likely dried blood from the cut in his foot.
He bled through the shoe? Ye Gods man, he should be posting photos of that wound instead.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Looked like rust to me.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:29 PM

I'm not a fan of discs on road bikes but......

Skip to 5:00
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...93601667403827
Old 02-25-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
No, not blood.

Tim
Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post

You just got yourself kicked out of the gaggle, buddy.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
No, not blood.

Tim
I agree, looking at the pic of the cuts on his makes it seem unlikely that it is dried blood on the shoe. I did not see the pic of his foot. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post

The guy ought to be fired for clamping that frame on a top tube.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The guy ought to be fired for clamping that frame on a top tube.
Yep,
I dont understand why people do that.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Yep,
I dont understand why people do that.
1. Weight distribution.
2. Not enough seat post.
3. Fragile stickers/decals on the seat tube.
4. Steel frame doesn't GAF aka because you can.

Sure, there is potential for damage. There's also the very real possibility that no kittens will die and the world will not end.