Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryscientist View Post
the doors are longer and sometimes harder to open fully in tight spots. You get no more interior room and a bigger hassle to get rear passengers in.
yep!
Old 02-18-2017, 11:34 AM

The Honda HRV is slightly larger than a Fit....but has the same magic seats. More interior room for bikes, people, and stuff than a Civic hatch Coupe (2 or 4 door). Some mags claim the 1.8 L engine is weak.....probably OK for me....but some of you may want more. Rumor is the Civic 1.5 turbo engine coming for this car. Newer Honda 4's have timing chains, not belts....less maintenance. I like this car for what you describe you want. Cheap...easy to park, good economy, super reliable....standard parts bin Honda parts.....maybe not fancy or expensive enough for thieves to strip or steal.

Not my ideal vehicle for my use (I have a 3 car garage which I use for 3 cars), but were I you, would not spend much for a car to park on the street where there is street crime. Based on what you say....you want a basic transportation piece with some hauling room. Whichever vehicle you choose....would get the base cheapest model. And don't overlook the lower level hatch Mazda's.

Last edited by Ralph; 02-18-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:40 AM

I have a stupid question...and remember I'm NOT a car guy. I -think- turbo is a different fuel injection system? It adds power? Does it add maintenance costs, or give less life?

I do want a nice stereo system and MP3 capability...but I gather that's better to buy 3rd party. I don't really want the fancy cameras and such...I know how to park.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:40 AM

We really like our 2014 Mazda 3 sedan w/2.5L engine and auto trans. 30,000+ miles, no problems, cheap routine service, nice dealer (John Hine).

My MINI got sideswiped so it's in the shop and I have 2016 Chevy Cruze LT rental. I am pleasantly surprised. It isn't as peppy as our Mazda but it's no dog. It rides softer and quieter but the handling isn't as sporty. I see lots of them for sale with low miles because they seem to be popular with rental companies.

I saw some nice-looking used cars at Enterprise when I got this rental this week. They offer several days to love a car or return it and extended warrantys I think. I still prefer Mazda 3 but I could live with a Cruze for a cheap-running commuter.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:51 AM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
I have a stupid question...and remember I'm NOT a car guy. I -think- turbo is a different fuel injection system? It adds power? Does it add maintenance costs, or give less life?

I do want a nice stereo system and MP3 capability...but I gather that's better to buy 3rd party. I don't really want the fancy cameras and such...I know how to park.
Turbo is basically an air compressor driven by a turbine placed in the exhaust (hence "turbo"). When the engine is under load, more exhaust flows out, the turbo spins up and pushes more air into the engine, more air and fuel = bigger bang = more power. The principle is when you're just cruising along on the highway or steady speeds you get the economy of a small engine, but when you need the power of a big engine you step on it and it's there.

Downsides are quite a bit more complexity and potentially more (expensive) maintenance.

They used to be used only on performance cars, and they're a lot of fun when tuned that way, but now manufacturers have figured out that you can basically game the EPA fuel economy test by tuning a turbo engine so that it's off boost most of the time during the test. That's why you get odd things going on now like a big heavy Ford Fusion coming with a 1.6 litre engine. So it does wonders for the CAFE ratings for the manufacturer but may or may not give you quite as good fuel economy in the real world. Most of them are quite good though.

Mazda's approach to getting great fuel economy without a turbo seems to be more sensible long term though. Turbo engines have to be heavier built, which costs a little efficiency. Mazda make theirs lightweight, and use a very high compression ratio and a bit bigger displacement to get more torque at low RPMs, which the turbo engines rely on boost for. So it's simpler, lighter, and more responsive, although giving up some overall power.

edit: about the aftermarket audio - most audio systems are so integrated now that installing aftermarket audio is a lot more trouble that it's worth. Just get it up front.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:57 AM
n - 1

Modern turbo's being liquid/oil cooled are much more reliable than the old air cooled units. But if you're looking for better longevity, I would steer away from them. Stick with a simple N/A engine.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:58 AM

Don't most turbos require premium fuel too?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj View Post
Some but not all. 2016 Chevy Cruze rental I have uses regular gas. BTW, Cruze was totally redone for 2016 model year and it is WAY better than the older model.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:46 PM

I'm now @ information overload...thanks all

What I'm really taking away from this is that all of the modern cars are pretty good...try a few, see which you like. I think I'd prefer steering away from turbo if I can get a decent amount of power for highway driving.

The Mazda 3 was a fun, peppy car to drive...but we went Impreza head to head. The 3 might be good for my application though. If I recall, our mechanic steered us away from Mazda and towards Subaru.

Last edited by Aaron O; 02-18-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:41 PM

They are both about the same mechanically in my experience. Both pretty reliable for Japanese cars; the Subies tended to be slightly more expensive because of AWD and slightly more complicated engines. The difference I think was the Mazda 3 (the newer ones) are more nimble, lighter and have better gas mileage, the Subies are more of a go-everywhere car because of AWD.

The older Mazdas had issues w/ rust proofing but I now thankfully live in LA instead of the east coast...the newer ones are supposed to be better.

The Track rats go for the MX-5 Miata or the Subie BRZ!

Hondas are getting better - they had issues w/ quality for the last generation; started building the cars in Mexico and Ohio instead of Japan and had to work out the kinks in suppliers or whatnot but the newer generation civic is much better, supposedly. Always relatively solid engineering, Big H.

Ford, actually, is hitting it out of the park supposedly w/ their smaller "hot hatches" in terms of the Focus and Fiesta..

Me, I hit a midlife crisis and went with a BMW 228i. great little car...I'm sure I'm going to be paying out the nose on service, though...

(sorry, I get nerdy on anything with wheels on them.....)

Last edited by tylercheung; 02-18-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
We got a sedan because the 6 spd manual wasn't available with heated seats except in one trim level in the sedan. We'd have preferred the hatch. As I commented to the Missus this morning in mid-20s temps, "We paid $4k for these heated seats, I'm going to use them." $4k might not be accurate but in the ballpark.
It's interested to see what's important to whom.

It gets just as cold, and even colder, here in MO, but the switch for the heated seats in my '14 Impreza has never, ever been flipped. Not even once. Now if it had a heated steering wheel, I'm certain I would have used that, and often, but for the seats, I've never felt the need.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:34 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I'll echo this suggestion. Four of my employees and a bro-in-law have bought mazda's in the last three or four years and all have been great. Sporty/fun factor is just a tad bit better on a base Mazda, from what I have seen.

I would drive them all back to back to see which one fits, but can't go wrong with honda, subaru, or Mazda in the small car market.

FWIW, my high school Gym teacher still drives one of these little beauties. I see him tooling around from time to time (in his eighties now), and every time I think....damn, he bought the perfect car.

I was hoping for this when Honda announced the new hatchback...the new hatchback looks boy-racer stupid designevd by some kid who's visits the SEMA shows too often. Not just Honda, but the Toyota Matrix re-boot is one the same level. I suggest these reasons are why the new CUVs are popular.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj View Post
My GTI (normal compression turbocharged motor) will run on regular, with reduced power and economy. Premium is recommended. The fuel door is marked "91 octane minimum".
Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
I was hoping for this when Honda announced the new hatchback...the new hatchback looks boy-racer stupid designevd by some kid who's visits the SEMA shows too often. Not just Honda, but the Toyota Matrix re-boot is one the same level. I suggest these reasons are why the new CUVs are popular.
That's what the Fit was for me. A throwback to the glory days. I miss that car.

I agree about the new hatchbacks. Disappointment. Ford Fiesta may be a good alternative for that type of car.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Nothing looks more bizarre than the new Prius.