Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
I drove it a few months ago. Nice enough and good looks though the interior is made for kids who like video games. Still I would have considered it but despite the fact that I only have a 34' inseam, the seat didn't go back far enough for comfort. I was really surprised they would build a car that way in this day and age. Forget about fitting in the fit.
interesting. I also have a 34” inseam and had no problem. In my Fit I am also fine but I put the seat all the way back. It may just be driver position. I drive a manual too.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

As an aside, and dove-tailing in this a bit. Oldest son got side-swipped(hit and run), he's fine but car totaled(2007 Ford Fusion)..so got the insurance payout and gonna go buy a car, today(rental has to be returned this thursday). Don't mind the whole process(Honda shopping, probably new or used Civic or Accord)
but salesman games..how much, how about, this website says, how about, do this or I'll go across the street to CarMax.....dance is a PITA.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:40 AM

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the 2017 Impreza is an all-new, upgraded model. You might look at it since you're happy with your older version.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:08 AM

Ford CMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Looking to the well respected well for help! I don't know/care much about cars, but circumstances now have me driving. A lot. For the first time in a VERY long time. It may be long term

I live in town, with very difficult parking and would like to keep it smallish. At the same time, I like stretch out room. My desired car traits, in something resembling priority order are (and I know some are mutually exclusive):

Safe, at least relative

Reliable/minimal maintenance

Affordable repair parts

Long lived

smallish for city - but leg room. Prefer space in back for bike, but can add hitch.

affordable/fuel efficient. low to insure

Enough pick up to do 75 up a hill

Can handle snow/rain (prefer FWD? is this on all cars now?)

Things that shouldn't be considered...

Looks, handling, status.

I'm leaning Honda Civic coupe...but would love to hear other opinions.

I LOVE our Subaru Impreza, but the leg room is cramped for me.
I have a Ford CMax, its great. I bought this after I purchased my wife a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Honestly, the Lincoln has only been to the dealer for oil changes. The CMax just the same. It has the same engine and Electric Drive as the Lincoln. Fold down the seats and there is plenty of room for the bike. Easily carrys 4 people with luggage and I am getting 40MPG.

I have over 70K on my 2013 CMax, if I were to replace it, I would go with the plug in, even better mileage.

Best

Ray
Old 02-18-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesau View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the 2017 Impreza is an all-new, upgraded model. You might look at it since you're happy with your older version.
This one does look good and I have had 3 Subarus in the house in the last 12 years.

They needed an update in the interior to stay relevant. After such a hard winter I may be back in one next year.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:13 AM

We got our new Civic sedan, actually sat in it for the first time just now (the Missus's car, and I've been working long shifts so no time to go out). The car is wider and longer than our Jetta Sportswagen. It feels bigger parking/driving it. Interior room is similar but bigger. Lower hood, everything around the driver feels flatter/lower, much more visibility outward.

I haven't used the shifter but it seems like it'll be awesome. Short lever, short throws, very nice.

Lots of leg room, relatively speaking.

May not be ideal for city parking but it's certainly a nice car.

We got a sedan because the 6 spd manual wasn't available with heated seats except in one trim level in the sedan. We'd have preferred the hatch. As I commented to the Missus this morning in mid-20s temps, "We paid $4k for these heated seats, I'm going to use them." $4k might not be accurate but in the ballpark.

Facebook picture that won't be visible after a while:
Old 02-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolwulf View Post
This is Correct.

If you're driving a lot you might as well enjoy it.
I'll echo this suggestion. Four of my employees and a bro-in-law have bought mazda's in the last three or four years and all have been great. Sporty/fun factor is just a tad bit better on a base Mazda, from what I have seen.

I would drive them all back to back to see which one fits, but can't go wrong with honda, subaru, or Mazda in the small car market.

FWIW, my high school Gym teacher still drives one of these little beauties. I see him tooling around from time to time (in his eighties now), and every time I think....damn, he bought the perfect car.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
As an aside, and dove-tailing in this a bit. Oldest son got side-swipped(hit and run), he's fine but car totaled(2007 Ford Fusion)..so got the insurance payout and gonna go buy a car, today(rental has to be returned this thursday). Don't mind the whole process(Honda shopping, probably new or used Civic or Accord)
but salesman games..how much, how about, this website says, how about, do this or I'll go across the street to CarMax.....dance is a PITA.
The worst, man. So bad. Perhaps this dealer model will mostly die out in a decade or so.

I said I would never buy a new car (or a used one from a dealer), but my wife's step-dad retired from Toyota and with the family plan it made sense for us when we bought a new car in late 2010. We did the research, knew what we wanted, walked-in to a dealer, they found the car and they said this is the price. But, if it weren't for that I would avoid a dealer, personally. I don't have time for games.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I don't know about Colorado but my local Honda dealer is giving discounts this weekend I've never seen before. All models too. Normally they don't negotiate well. Honda sales must be down.

My philosophy when buying a car is that I'm in charge of the negotiation. I have the money...they want it....
Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
The worst, man. So bad. Perhaps this dealer model will mostly die out in a decade or so.

I said I would never buy a new car (or a used one from a dealer), but my wife's step-dad retired from Toyota and with the family plan it made sense for us when we bought a new car in late 2010. We did the research, knew what we wanted, walked-in to a dealer, they found the car and they said this is the price. But, if it weren't for that I would avoid a dealer, personally. I don't have time for games.
I always buy used, but from a dealer (CPO?) so there's a good warranty.

This is a bit of a thread drift, but one of my big factors with a purchase is service. Cars these days are so much more reliable than they used to be, but service can be such a pain. I want a loaner car and service to be included, and the dealer has to be conveniently close enough that I don't have to take off work to get there.

When I bought BMW, besides the car, part of the charm was my service advisor, Mike. Sounds silly, I know, but I knew that if there was ever a problem, he would take care of me. He gave me loaners way past the you get a free loaner car date. He bent over backwards to enforce warranty repairs, and just became a friend of sorts. I ended my love affair with BMW and had a side affair with Land Rover (what a mistake that was). The service was meh.

Then I bought a used Mercedes. Great car, great service, convenient location. I'm probably due for something else, but the car is still great. When I traded the land Rover in for the Mercedes, they offered me $5k over trade in for the Land Rover. I was flabbergasted. Haggled a few more thousand off the Mercedes, got way more out of the Land Rover than it was worth, and another dealer with good service to boot.

Fast forward two years past purchase and I have to take the Mercedes in for routine oil and filters, and lo and behold, Mike is my service advisor! He left BMW after twenty years and switched over.

Recently I noticed my wood interior was faded and brought it up to him when i needed a tire replaced. He said he would warranty it that it shouldn't fade like that. It costs $7k to replace the wood in my car. That is ridiculous, imo. He ordered it, took about a month to get here from Germany, and took them just a few hours to install. The interior looks brand new now. Man, I love Mike.

Ok, back to your car, which one are you gonna choose?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I always buy used, but from a dealer (CPO?) so there's a good warranty.

This is a bit of a thread drift, but one of my big factors with a purchase is service. Cars these days are so much more reliable than they used to be, but service can be such a pain. I want a loaner car and service to be included, and the dealer has to be conveniently close enough that I don't have to take off work to get there.

When I bought BMW, besides the car, part of the charm was my service advisor, Mike. Sounds silly, I know, but I knew that if there was ever a problem, he would take care of me. He gave me loaners way past the you get a free loaner car date. He bent over backwards to enforce warranty repairs, and just became a friend of sorts. I ended my love affair with BMW and had a side affair with Land Rover (what a mistake that was). The service was meh.

Then I bought a used Mercedes. Great car, great service, convenient location. I'm probably due for something else, but the car is still great. When I traded the land Rover in for the Mercedes, they offered me $5k over trade in for the Land Rover. I was flabbergasted. Haggled a few more thousand off the Mercedes, got way more out of the Land Rover than it was worth, and another dealer with good service to boot.

Fast forward two years past purchase and I have to take the Mercedes in for routine oil and filters, and lo and behold, Mike is my service advisor! He left BMW after twenty years and switched over.

Recently I noticed my wood interior was faded and brought it up to him when i needed a tire replaced. He said he would warranty it that it shouldn't fade like that. It costs $7k to replace the wood in my car. That is ridiculous, imo. He ordered it, took about a month to get here from Germany, and took them just a few hours to install. The interior looks brand new now. Man, I love Mike.

Ok, back to your car, which one are you gonna choose?
Learning this one the hard way with the Subaru...our dealer is in the burbs, about 15 miles away. Great dealership - like them very much...but we always end up paying a local shop for service because of the distance/hassle. That's nothing they did wrong.

I'm leaning on trying to get through this season in my beater car and changing afterwards. I don't even have the time to shop/test them right now.

I bought a 2006 Ford Focus hatchback with 120,000 miles on it about 7 years ago. Since then we added another 40,000 miles and it's needed almost no work. It's been dependable. The problem is, it's under powered and handles "funny" at speed. I don't feel safe with it on the highway.

Last edited by Aaron O; 02-18-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:45 AM

are you looking to sell the aforementioned 06 focus? i'm actually in the market for one..
Old 02-18-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
are you looking to sell the aforementioned 06 focus? i'm actually in the market for one..
Sheesh...I will be when I get another car. Has some bumper damage. Lots o' miles.

The car is a bit under powered...I mean to the point where you don't want to run the AC past two when it's idling.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:43 AM

Last summer I purchased a 2016 Chevy Sonic LT sedan with the 1.8 NA engine and 6 spd auto trans. Looked at the Festiva, Fit, and Versa before buying. Peppy, handles great, plenty of front leg room and room for bikes with the seats folded. Parks anywhere. Getting 32-36 mpg in mixed driving. Before sales tax: 14,300. Rated just behind the Fit for subcompacts, and higher in safety. 50% made in the U.S. Since purchase, I've been behind the wheels of a Prius and an Elantra, and prefer the Sonic to both.

Last edited by pbarry; 02-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Last summer I purchased a 2016 Chevy Sonic LT sedan with the 1.8 NA engine and 6 spd auto trans. Looked at the Festiva, Fit, and Versa before buying. Peppy, handles great, plenty of front leg room and room for bikes with the seats folded. Parks anywhere. Getting 32-36 mpg in mixed driving. Before sales tax: 14,300. Rated just behind the Fit for subcompacts, and higher in safety. 50% made in the U.S. Since purchase, I've been behind the wheels of a Prius and an Elantra, and prefer the Sonic to both.
Will check one out...thanks for input.