Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2016, 10:52 AM

First Ti bike - What should I know?

I'm excited about the new frame/fork (Kona Esatto Ti) that should arrive at my doorstep next week. I'm planning on moving the components over from my Salsa Colossal to the new frame. This will be my first Ti bike. What should I know before I start building it up?

I understand I should use anti-seize instead of regular grease for the BB and seat post. Any brand recommendations?

And I know I should be able to buff out any scratches with a Scotch brite pad. But I'm looking forward to not worrying about my bike's paint!

(I'm also looking for recommendations on fenders that will match the frame and will fit a 28c tire!)

TIA
Old 11-10-2016, 11:02 AM
That guy..

Goto your automotive store and get some copper anti seize .

As for fenders. Feel like it's a personal thing. Simple full long fenders like...planet bike.. are great.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2016, 11:07 AM

Lynskey does good work. Congrats on your new bike.

I cannot imagine that the brand of anti-seize really matters. I've had the same tube of Park ASC-1 for years. Never had a problem.

All sorts of folks will recommend all sort of fenders. But, aluminum fenders offer the best fit, coverage and durability. If the bike is going to wear fenders I like to do it once and do it right. I would look to Honjo, Berthoud or VO. The latter offers the best value IMO. They're quality fenders. I'd recommend a fender that is 40-45mm wide. These would look nice on a Ti frame as would the smooth version.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 11-10-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:15 AM

if your bike lacks a drain hole under the BB - and I know this may be difficult to stomach doing - DRILL ONE. seriously. this should be part of all bikes but very seldom is. I had to drill two Moots and an Indy Fab Ti, out of my fleet. they're cx bikes and I ride them in crap conditions and through the winter, having water sit in the BB area with an aluminum BB in a Ti shell is asking for galvanic corrosion and a trashed BB.

but yes, you're bang-on about the anti-seize. I have a tin of Finish Line. cost $10 or so, comes with a brush integrated into the lid. it's lasted years and will last several more. pull the seat post and BB every now and then, wipe everything down and re-apply anti-seize.

otherwise, enjoy it! Ti bikes are incredible rides and in general very low maintenance related to keeping the frame happy and looking terrific. you just have these few gotchas you gotta watch out for. but hey, better than applying frame saver or having to pull your seat post and turn the bike upside-down every time you get caught in the rain!
Old 11-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
if your bike lacks a drain hole under the BB - and I know this may be difficult to stomach doing - DRILL ONE.
You get used to drilling them after a while. I do it all the time
Old 11-10-2016, 11:25 AM
That guy..

Holy smokes. I need to do that this year. Moots has been fine. Lost a King bb (they actually warrantied for me) and a shimano bb to my Indy with no drain hole. Time to get the drill out.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2016, 12:01 PM

Copper based anti-seize is only necessary to prevent galling on titanium-to-titanium contact. So definitely use it on any titanium screws that are screwed directly into the titanium frame. Otherwise, grease or nickel based anti-seize should be fine.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I'm excited about the new frame/fork (Kona Esatto Ti) that should arrive at my doorstep next week. I'm planning on moving the components over from my Salsa Colossal to the new frame. This will be my first Ti bike. What should I know before I start building it up?

I understand I should use anti-seize instead of regular grease for the BB and seat post. Any brand recommendations?

And I know I should be able to buff out any scratches with a Scotch brite pad. But I'm looking forward to not worrying about my bike's paint!

(I'm also looking for recommendations on fenders that will match the frame and will fit a 28c tire!)

TIA
Be careful about anti seize in the BB. Slather too much and it may migrate to bearings.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zank View Post
in fact, the bike I bought from you (which was your Zanconato) is the first custom bike I've purchased that actually had one. nice job!
Old 11-10-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zank View Post
Out of curiosity what's a builder's reasoning for not adding one initially?

I didn't originally have one in my Potts and during a stop in the middle of a 6 hr. rain ride noticed water streaming out of a rear chainstay vent hole. Removed the screw holding the under BB derailleur cable guide and had to wait quite a while for the stream to stop. Pulled the BB when I got home.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Vendor

I really don't know. Maybe one theory is it could result in water getting in through the hole. But that's all I can come up with.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:31 PM

First thing you'll need to do is post pictures. That is a neat looking frame, but I have yet to see one built up yet.

Congrats!
Old 11-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post

TIA
Only if the seat post is metal. If it is carbon no grease or antiseize. Just some carbon prep paste if you desire.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:19 PM

Good call on the hole drilling. I do it slow and steady and keep dipping the drill bit in water or cutting oil and it works great.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
if your bike lacks a drain hole under the BB - and I know this may be difficult to stomach doing - DRILL ONE. seriously. this should be part of all bikes but very seldom is. I had to drill two Moots and an Indy Fab Ti, out of my fleet. they're cx bikes and I ride them in crap conditions and through the winter, having water sit in the BB area with an aluminum BB in a Ti shell is asking for galvanic corrosion and a trashed BB.
Thank you! This is exactly the kind of advice I am looking for. I'm checking with my local shop to see if they have the tools/knowledge to do it.