Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2016, 07:03 AM

some good suggestions regarding taking small cuts, a bar through it and twisting, using bolt cutters correctly, etc. I follow them on IG and know they worked with the Portland PD's bike theft investigators to see if they could break it. but the fact is, if they're touting it as being super secure, they should show more proof of that. have the PD put you in touch with a legit bike thief and give him five minutes alone with it. see how easy it is to break.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:45 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
some good suggestions regarding taking small cuts, a bar through it and twisting, using bolt cutters correctly, etc. I follow them on IG and know they worked with the Portland PD's bike theft investigators to see if they could break it. but the fact is, if they're touting it as being super secure, they should show more proof of that. have the PD put you in touch with a legit bike thief and give him five minutes alone with it. see how easy it is to break.
The video was so bad it's possible they didn't convey their message well. I didn't come away from the vid thinking this lock is supposed to be superior, just superior to cable locks.

I doubt they'd claim it's as secure as a $10 Walmart U-lock. But it's 1/5th the weight, and gives way better odds of the bike still being out front when come up out the store/Starbucks/bathroom than with a cable lock. Cable locks can be defeated with wire nips.. I don't think people realiZe that
Old 09-13-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I'm thinking I'd mainly use it for situations where I just want a bit more security than a helmet strap around the wheel/frame and a small prayer.
Next step up from that is actually winding up your barrel adjusters so the brakes are applied without engaging the levers.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:13 PM

I got a reply back.
They plan to post some vids of attempted pulls.

"It takes apprx. 500 to 800lb pull force right now (some variance in plastic) to yank pawls out and defeat. No human can do this. A prybar maybe, but cinch tight."
Old 09-13-2016, 12:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

This would be awesome for $15, maybe $20. At $44 no thanks
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Next step up from that is actually winding up your barrel adjusters so the brakes are applied without engaging the levers.
Thanks! Never thought of that one.

Yet another way in which a Campy-equipped bike is superior...
Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 PM
ZhugeLiang

Just got their latest email update:

As we move closer to the end of our campaign, we remain thrilled with the continued growth of OTTOLOCK backers! Now over 3,300 and counting.
Questions of Security
The product's lightweight form factor and function is simple and obvious. We also think our story has done a good job showcasing the lock band's difficulty to cut, but maybe left some open questions on the lock head's security level. We've had many questions about potential failure modes of the locking head - as well as why we chose a 3-digit combination vs. 4-digit combination head (answer: size/weight/design intent). We've addressed much of this in our Project FAQs, but thought an update would be good for all.
Design Intent
OTTOLOCK is not designed for overnight or long duration security in high-crime metropolitan areas. OTTOLOCK is designed for short stay security and protecting against theft opportunists, while simultaneously meeting desired low weight and compact size requirements. It is important to note that all locks can be defeated with proper tools, technique and time.
OTTOLOCK Test Notes on Specific Theft Attack Methods
Smash/Impact – The lock head will eventually become damaged with sharp hammer blows to the top surface, but the integrity of lock will remain. If the proper angle strike is made to either the combination wheels or the button, the locking internals may become damaged and cease functioning; however, the integrity of the lock will remain largely intact.
Shim/Pick – The lock head design and tolerances are such that a very thin shim (such as cut from a Coke can) cannot be inserted into the mechanism to defeat the interface when cinch locked.
Flame/Heat – The melting point of our outer Santoprene band layer is above 330 degrees Fahrenheit. The pull force to fail exceeds 500 lbf when new, but may be compromised with extended duration direct flame.
Reminder - For maximum security, we strongly recommend you cinch OTTOLOCK as tight as possible when in use. This will reduce the leverage and access space the majority of tools require, making theft attempts much more difficult.
In addition to our ramp-up and specification refinement in the coming months, we will be assessing Sold Secure and/or other third party testing laboratory ratings after our entry into full-scale production in 2017. Expect more product/production updates as OTTOLOCK comes to market.
Thank you again!
- The OTTO Team
Old 10-07-2016, 03:49 AM

The word "gimmick" comes to mind. Plenty of similar options at $10 at Walmart, $5 or less if you can shop in Chinatown, a buck at Dollartree.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:54 AM
it's all nuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homagesilkhope View Post
The word "gimmick" comes to mind. Plenty of similar options at $10 at Walmart, $5 or less if you can shop in Chinatown, a buck at Dollartree.
dear mr. homagesilkhopeh,

this sciuridae shall gladly support homegrown entrepreneurs, even at a premium. acquiring chinese junk is nuts. nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel
Old 10-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Administrator

<choke...cough...gasp...ack!>

Finally, common ground. I can't believe I'm agreeing with the Rodent.

At first glance the premium appear to be a little high for what it appears to be...but I will reserve judgment until I can hold and examine one up close. And like the rodent, I have no issue paying a little premium to support homegrown goods.

William
Old 10-07-2016, 07:33 AM

This looks fine for those super quick "I'm running into the gas station on a ride to get a water" type of situations, but I don't really see the advantage over a little retractable cable lock for the same situation.

I use the TiGr lock on two bikes and it's the best actual solution I've used. One bike I keep outside and has never been targeted by thieves. And the TiGr gets the front and back wheels and frame in there. Expensive, but easy to carry as it just goes around the top tube, and lighter than those huge NYC locks that require carrying an extra cable to get the front wheel.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:54 AM

I understand that all you are trying to do is to stop the opportunistic thief while you are off the bike for a few minutes. I use a gun cable padlock, which is adequate to do the job. These are usually included with new gun purchases and often given away for free at gun shops. I've even seen them given away for free at gun range offices.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:14 PM

I like the idea of the ottolock more than the tigr mostly because of the size and portability. I want something to fit into my jersey pocket and I can take out when I'm taking a lunch break or running into the store for a snack. If there's another option, let me know. I currently use a Knog Milkman but the cable is wire thin so I always lock it up within viewing distance. This sounds like a great solution for me
Old 10-07-2016, 07:04 PM

I like it for locking the bike to your rack.

Side note, in the video, a woman locks a baby carriage to a bench and goes running. What happened to the baby!? Weird.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:06 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I understand that all you are trying to do is to stop the opportunistic thief while you are off the bike for a few minutes. I use a gun cable padlock, which is adequate to do the job. These are usually included with new gun purchases and often given away for free at gun shops. I've even seen them given away for free at gun range offices.
Woah... That's a really good idea

Usually have a little armor on them, so better than just a bare cable, but still lightweight and compact