Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
How do these fixed vehicles perform? Any detrimental effects on performance, reliability, mileage, drivability?
Time will tell.

The car drives great and the engine is smoother and quieter than my 2013 ever was. The paperwork says the reliability should not be effected. I think the main thing with the 2015's was that the ECU didn't use enough AdBlue stuff and the reflash means it will use more....it will also throw more fuel at it at times to make it run hotter and have more complete combustion. The cars have been fitted with new window stickers with lower MPG ratings I'm told.

I've only driven about 100 miles or less so far and the engine is far from being fully broken in and loosened up but even at that the car so far seems to be running at about 40 mpg. My 2013 gets about 41 or so on the same roads and routes. I expect the mileage won't be quite as good but it's still better than almost everything else.....and it's the only wagon that gets the mileage that's for sure.

To get the best deal we leased it with the intention to buy after 6 months. If after 6 or more months we don't like it we'll turn it in and walk away without having spent too much money. I doubt we'll turn it in as I'm really liking it so far.

We'll see.

dave

I've not put my foot into it too much yet (minding the break-in) but it feels like it's got plenty of go. The HP and torque ratings are unchanged I think.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I was in the area today, hard to get a perspective from the images but here are shots of three different lots...and they are more. I had to get back a ways to get them all in the shot.

C'mon down and git yerself a lightly used VW. Driven only on weekends...

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VW1.jpg (36.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg VW2.jpg (64.4 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg VW3.jpg (65.1 KB, 186 views)
Old 05-01-2017, 11:20 AM

I had stopped paying attention to the TDI news after my buyback in early December, but I got cold called by the dealer I purchased my TDI from late last week informing me they had 2015 TDIs to sell. My TSI is fine, but I do miss the mileage of the old TDI and sort of wish I'd waited for this deal. But what can you do....? $8,500 off sounds nice.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:22 AM

I'm really surprised that your dealer is searching for buyers. My local dealer has about 15 and they are all spoken for.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
My TSI is fine, but I do miss the mileage of the old TDI...
I thought there was noise in the motoring press that the "fixed" cars lost ground in the fuel efficiency arena.

We got a TSi Sportwagen. I've only driven in a couple times, and only around town (just got well enough after my crash surgery to drive again), but it does seem to get 8-10mpg worse mileage than our TDi did around town. Our TDi was a 2014 hatchback, so part of the decrease is likely the increased weight of the new car.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
I thought there was noise in the motoring press that the "fixed" cars lost ground in the fuel efficiency arena.

We got a TSi Sportwagen. I've only driven in a couple times, and only around town (just got well enough after my crash surgery to drive again), but it does seem to get 8-10mpg worse mileage than our TDi did around town. Our TDi was a 2014 hatchback, so part of the decrease is likely the increased weight of the new car.
That 8-10MPG less seems to hold true for me, and I didn't have one of the super bang up 45mpg TDI's either. Mine got 35ish around town and up to about 40 on long highway drives.

The TSI gets 27ish in mixed driving, and up to maybe 31 or 32 in the best of cases highway road trips, usually closer to 30.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:49 PM

My wife just got 40mpg on a tank in her 2016 Jetta Hybrid.

Great car if you are OK with a sedan, and can find one (since 2016 was last year they were sold).
Old 05-02-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I spoke with a dealer in Salt Lake and they had 40 of them on the lot and they were being prepped for sale.

The demand will be silly high and my dealer has a bit of a waiting list and I just got lucky.

dave
Lucky here as well.

Never heard from the the salesman I had been talking with. When I stopped by to check this afternoon I happened to bump into the sales manager. TDIs went on sale Saturday, and all of the Golfs went the first day. A few sportswagens remain.

However, fifteen minutes prior to my arrival the dealership had discovered a Golf TDI that had been lost in the shuffle and never made it onto the inventory list. Manual transmission with every option. 0% financing - will put the buy-back money in an account and make payments from there while collecting some interest at the same time.

While backing the car out for a test drive two Hell's Angels types were on the walkway giving me the evil eye. Obviously I had beat them by "that much". After completing all the paperwork I was called into the sales manager's office. Was informed that these two raised quite a ruckus. They had spent the entire day going to dealerships all over southern California.

One of the dealers gave them a line on this particular vehicle and they had driven a considerable distance to purchase it. People at the dealership were in fear of violence. Said one of them followed after me as I pulled out on the test drive with the intent of knocking on the window and pulling me out of the car.

An unexpected afternoon! In the end, I spent 3K to drive a very enjoyable car for six years, and then handed an even nicer vehicle.

Last edited by parallelfish; 05-02-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
That 8-10MPG less seems to hold true for me, and I didn't have one of the super bang up 45mpg TDI's either. Mine got 35ish around town and up to about 40 on long highway drives.

The TSI gets 27ish in mixed driving, and up to maybe 31 or 32 in the best of cases highway road trips, usually closer to 30.
My experience is different; maybe it's the way we drive... ?

The pic below was taken on a road trip to visit the wife's parents in Georgia, when the car had only 1500 miles on it, and was all highway miles averaging 70-75 mph. Now, with about 3500 miles on it, in mixed driving, it's 31-32 mpg. Mileage is impressive enough that I kidded one of my neighbors that VW may have 'cooked' the electronics on this one as well...

BTW, the car is a 4-motion, 6 spd MT.

So far, I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mpg.jpg (145.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
My experience is different; maybe it's the way we drive... ?

The pic below was taken on a road trip to visit the wife's parents in Georgia, when the car had only 1500 miles on it, and was all highway miles averaging 70-75 mph. Now, with about 3500 miles on it, in mixed driving, it's 31-32 mpg. Mileage is impressive enough that I kidded one of my neighbors that VW may have 'cooked' the electronics on this one as well...

BTW, the car is a 4-motion, 6 spd MT.

So far, I love it.
I missed part of this story. What engine is in this car?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I missed part of this story. What engine is in this car?
EA888 TSI, 2.0l turbo.

thwart, check your MFI mileage readings against your tank-to-tank calculated mileage. I think you'll find it 1-2mpg optimistic.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
EA888 TSI, 2.0l turbo.

thwart, check your MFI mileage readings against your tank-to-tank calculated mileage. I think you'll find it 1-2mpg optimistic.
What is "TSI"?
Old 05-03-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
EA888 TSI, 2.0l turbo.

True enough on the MFI... that tank actually worked out to be 37 mpg from fill calculations. Still impressive for a '4-motion' car not yet broken in, IMO.

The 31-32 mpg mentioned in mixed driving is calculated, not from MFI.

Quote:
What is "TSI"?
VW's name for their standard gasoline turbo 4-banger.

Last edited by thwart; 05-03-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
What is "TSI"?

Turbo charged gas engine.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Turbo charged gas engine.
Turbocharged direct injection gas engine.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads