Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which rack?
full 0 0%
canti 5 31.25%
mid-fork 10 62.50%
porteur 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2017, 06:45 PM

I love the look of boxy handlebar bags, and porteur rack bags, but there is no way that they would be practical for me, except maybe on a tour or on a long recreational ride. I need to be able to carry things around on foot in a comfortable way. I can't be carrying around a rack-bag with tote straps like a briefcase, or a boxy bag with a shoulder strap, bouncing around clumsily. Lots of bags look great on the bike, but I can't understand how people use them off of the bike, unless they don't really walk anywhere after they lock up -- this is basically what I do all the time.

The best solution I've had, to date, was an 80s Trek with low-ish trail, and a Pass and Stow porteur rack. The trail on that bike was ~44m and I strapped my bag to the rack. The handling was neutral enough that it never bothered me. P&S rack is heavy though. My next thing is a custom porteur rack on a bike whose rake has been adjusted for slightly lower trail, and a rack bag that I'm going to sew backpack straps onto. The custom rack is about the same price as the P&S, and much lighter. This is the best system I can think of for what I need, and I bet it would work for others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnses_suit View Post
Wow old thread but thanks! I never got one yet.. There's always a different shiny new toy that I want, but hold back. I'm worried about the steering as well...
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbs View Post
I love the look of boxy handlebar bags, and porteur rack bags, but there is no way that they would be practical for me, except maybe on a tour or on a long recreational ride. I need to be able to carry things around on foot in a comfortable way. I can't be carrying around a rack-bag with tote straps like a briefcase, or a boxy bag with a shoulder strap, bouncing around clumsily. Lots of bags look great on the bike, but I can't understand how people use them off of the bike, unless they don't really walk anywhere after they lock up -- this is basically what I do all the time.

The best solution I've had, to date, was an 80s Trek with low-ish trail, and a Pass and Stow porteur rack. The trail on that bike was ~44m and I strapped my bag to the rack. The handling was neutral enough that it never bothered me. P&S rack is heavy though. My next thing is a custom porteur rack on a bike whose rake has been adjusted for slightly lower trail, and a rack bag that I'm going to sew backpack straps onto. The custom rack is about the same price as the P&S, and much lighter. This is the best system I can think of for what I need, and I bet it would work for others as well.
Cool! u should totally post pics. I know Paceline is anti-porteur but i'd dig it
Old 04-30-2017, 11:07 PM

honestly it's porteur or bust for me. I like having something up front that distributes weight across both wheels more evenly, while also being able to handle a **** ton of weight on the rack itself. It can get a little squirrelly at times if you pack on too much, but besides that there is no other way for me. Rear racks make frame flex over exaggerated, mid fork racks are only good for bags and I never really use bags, and a fork crown rack can only be a support for a handlebar bag.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnses_suit View Post
Cool! u should totally post pics. I know Paceline is anti-porteur but i'd dig it
I will post pics
It won't be a porteur really, though. More like a fat tire road bike with a platform rack and big bag.