Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which rack?
full 0 0%
canti 5 31.25%
mid-fork 10 62.50%
porteur 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2014, 05:24 PM

What bag do you plan to use? I'm thinking a Decaleur won't be needed. Like Grady said, keep it light and keep it simple. I think you may find yourself riding this bike a lot. You don't want a lot of "extras" on a normal ride.

I think the light mount would work with the mid fork boss, but you can also hand it off the rack if it comes with a set of bosses.

Soma makes some very nice bike, but you would have had a hard time finding one in this shape for the price. I wouldn't second guess that at all. If you upgrade down the road, you won't loose much at all on the experience.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM
aka RAEKWON

that more modern rack is really ugly. If you get a rando rack it will disappear under the rando bag.

If you want to mount the rack on the middle fork bosses then get a marks rack from riv and get the extra long nito poles. Works great, super secure.

You could also get a mini porteur rack like this:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...eur-front-rack

I have one, not currently on the bike that would sell for cheap but its pretty cheap from specialized too. It also mounts on the mid fork bosses and its sized btw a porteur rack and a rando rack, its quite nice actually.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 07-08-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
Palincss is correct in that the bikes geo would not allow you to use the platform as a true porter. BUT, and this is a big but. Using the top platform for a small bag/light type load. Maybe a bit more than a normal rando box type bag, should be fine. That and being able to use it for front panniers is a plus to me.

Loading it up with boxes and heavy type loads like a true porter is without question not what that bike was meant to do.
Agreed. I run a (Soma) porteur on my commuter (IRO Rob Roy) that was obviously not designed for it, and I love it. With light loads (light backpack, normal commuting gear) it definitely negatively affects the handling, but not too badly and you quickly get used to it. Plus you have the option of cramming it full of groceries when you need to, without needing to worry about remembering your panniers, and you just be a bit more careful on the rest of the ride home to compensate for how badly the heavy weight ruins the handling.

That being said, I have a good friend who is 3/4 across the US on a coast-to-coast tour using an All City Space Horse and a Soma Porteur with a super heavy Freight bag, and he is doing just fine. Is it the way it is supposed to be? no. Could it be better? yes. Does he mind? Not at all. You get used to it and your body compensates when it is all you know. (I bet it would be hilarious to see him try to ride a unloaded road bike right now though... swerving all over the place). My point is only that it is possible!

I love porters, but they certainly come with trade-offs on most modern bikes. On your Space Horse, I would only recommend one for commuting with light loads and the occasional heavy load. Not for road rides, tours, or anything in between.

On my road bike, I personally prefer to go with no rack up front, and instead a handlebar bag (Ortlieb 5 or 6, or Swift Paloma) for long day rides and centuries. It's the lightest option, doesn't get in the way, is easily accessed, and it keeps the weight nice and balanced over your front hub's centerline. If it's a longer ride, I load up my tent and gear on a rear rack with panniers and bungie cords. For a really long tour, you can get a mid-fork rack and throw another set of panniers on it up front while keeping the handlebar bag up top.

Last edited by johngmartin; 07-08-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=Netdewt;1579923]This Racktime Topit apparently mounts to the mid fork bosses and fork crown. Doesn't look so bad... a little more modern than the Nitto and VO racks.

I wouldn't worry about looks so much for racks.

Stick with names like Nitto and Tubus. They cost a few more $$$ on the front end, but they are very well built. While you might not do long distance touring anytime soon, a Nitto Campee rack will last forever and a day at that rate.

I have some extra racks/panniers here if you want to try a front end load on the SH before you buy anything.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM

1. That rack is much too high.
2. Why do you think it more "modern" than a Nitto?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
1. That rack is much too high.
2. Why do you think it more "modern" than a Nitto?
Yeah, I just saw it in the article and thought it looked "less traditional". Not getting that one.

The M18 becomes expensive once I have to buy longer support arms.

I think Nitto M12 (canti mount) is ideal here and I'll look into decaleurs when I get a bag.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:48 PM

Are you planning to get a bag that large? A smaller one wouldn't need a Decaleur.

If you are planning to get a rear rack anyway, this may suit you fine. Front rack only would be a different story.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 PM

I like the design, but the plan is to fit shoes and work clothes, lunch, possibly a small laptop or camera gear. A rando bag looks awesome and seems like close to the right size. Not planning to think about rear racks until the build is complete. The front rack is too important for the rest of the build for me to put it off. I've seen way too many awesome rando bag clad bikes not to go for a rando bag. Maybe silly, but it's why I started this build!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Are you planning to get a bag that large? A smaller one wouldn't need a Decaleur.

If you are planning to get a rear rack anyway, this may suit you fine. Front rack only would be a different story.
I like that set up's size.

My Swift Ozette isn't much larger, but it is plenty big to carry everything you might need for a long day trip.

Heck, I used that and my smaller Madden panniers for our 290 mile jaunt on my trip to our cabin two weeks ago.

Plenty of capacity. Just remember to keep the center of gravity low on the front end with panniers. Low riders are the ticket.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 PM

what bag is that? ^
Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 PM

It is an acorn. That's all I picked up.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
However the canti rack keeps options open for this bike, to use low-riders.
Rivendell has released a new low rider option for it's marks rack.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/rmf2.htm

very awesome design. I would get it if my frame was designed for a front load but i've decided all surly frames are rear load biased. I might even put my marks rack up on the chopping block if you're interested, i just rarely put anything up front anymore.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Stick with names like Nitto and Tubus.
Racktime is a subsidiary of Tubus. It's aluminum and not as durable as steel, but for a front rack it should be fine. My girlfriend has a Racktime rear rack and it's great quality for the price.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
It is an acorn. That's all I picked up.
I have one of those Acorn Mini-Rando bags also and love it. Unfortunately they are discontinued. A Nitto Mark's Rack supports the bag.

I use this paired with a Nitto Big Back Rack and Ortleib Front Roller panniers for a lightweight touring setup. This contains everything I need to camp: tent, sleeping bag, inflatable mattress, titanium cookset, stove, fuel, fleece jacket, rain jacket, thermal base layer, gloves, fleece hat, tools, headlamp and more.

The bike now sports a Gemini Duo headlight mounted to the front fender with the battery pack stowed in the front bag side pocket.

If I was to set this up for credit card touring, I'd ditch the rear rack and panniers, and use an Acorn Medium Saddle Bag in place of the Tool Roll.

Last edited by Saguaro; 07-09-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngmartin View Post
Agreed. I run a (Soma) porteur on my commuter (IRO Rob Roy) that was obviously not designed for it, and I love it. With light loads (light backpack, normal commuting gear) it definitely negatively affects the handling, but not too badly and you quickly get used to it. Plus you have the option of cramming it full of groceries when you need to, without needing to worry about remembering your panniers, and you just be a bit more careful on the rest of the ride home to compensate for how badly the heavy weight ruins the handling.

That being said, I have a good friend who is 3/4 across the US on a coast-to-coast tour using an All City Space Horse and a Soma Porteur with a super heavy Freight bag, and he is doing just fine. Is it the way it is supposed to be? no. Could it be better? yes. Does he mind? Not at all. You get used to it and your body compensates when it is all you know. (I bet it would be hilarious to see him try to ride a unloaded road bike right now though... swerving all over the place). My point is only that it is possible!

I love porters, but they certainly come with trade-offs on most modern bikes. On your Space Horse, I would only recommend one for commuting with light loads and the occasional heavy load. Not for road rides, tours, or anything in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
Rivendell has released a new low rider option for it's marks rack.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/rmf2.htm

very awesome design. I would get it if my frame was designed for a front load but i've decided all surly frames are rear load biased. I might even put my marks rack up on the chopping block if you're interested, i just rarely put anything up front anymore.
Reviving this old informative thread because after a year with my [now not-so] new surly troll, I'm thinking of heading into front-carrying options. For the last 20 years of serious biking its always been rear panniers. I'm thinking with the Jones bar a front rack would slay. So I've also been considering stuff like the soma porteur (plus ILE Porteur bag) but wondering if a Mark's rack might be better.

A few years later.. anybody have more thoughts or opinions to share?