Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannhauser View Post
Yes, but if she can find a profit-making product or service in that mess I'd be very surprised, is the point.

Even a genius has to start with something. Google is full of them.
Yahoo makes money 226m in the second quarter of 2012.

Once she defines what yahoo is she can then go about making more money.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Yahoo makes money 226m in the second quarter of 2012.

Once she defines what yahoo is she can then go about making more money.
Oh, pretty simple then!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Flickr is the one Yahoo product I think of in terms of success. Flickr is very popular and highly regarded for photo sharing, at least among serious photographers.

But they are #2 in web email as well, that is surely bringing in a lot of ad revenue.

I've never read any of the books on "inside google" but it is an interesting pick for sure.. certainly a surprise.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Oh, pretty simple then!
Did anyone say simple?

Yahoo is a business that try's to be everything to everybody, that doesn't work well on the internet.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Did anyone say simple?

Yahoo is a business that try's to be everything to everybody, that doesn't work well on the internet.
No kidding. Rather than be super general perhaps we can pick a YHOO strong suit and see who their competitors in the field might be and what it would take to win the market's lions share.

Otherwise this person's credentials or lack thereof don't mean anything.

Last edited by tannhauser; 07-19-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
No kidding. Rather than be super general perhaps we can pick a YHOO strong suit and see who their competitors in the field might be and what it would take to win the market's lions share.

Otherwise this person's credentials or lack thereof don't mean anything.
Gee what was the title of this thread?

"what's your bet on new yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer"

By stating that she was there to define Yahoo, I place my bet on her.

The question posed was not what do you (all of us) think Yahoo ought to do to stay relevant in 2012. i.e. My business strategy for Yahoo wasn't asked for.

Since the obvious wasn't taken I'll just say that I'd put my money on her.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Gee what was the title of this thread?

"what's your bet on new yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer"

By stating that she was there to define Yahoo, I place my bet on her.

The question posed was not what do you (all of us) think Yahoo ought to do to stay relevant in 2012. i.e. My business strategy for Yahoo wasn't asked for.

Since the obvious wasn't taken I'll just say that I'd put my money on her.

Good Lord. Here we go again.

Ok, then I assume you're going to go out right now and buy some Yahoo stock. I suppose it's a lot easier to say you have you money on her than actually do it.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Good Lord. Here we go again.

Ok, then I assume you're going to go out right now and buy some Yahoo stock. I suppose it's a lot easier to say you have you money on her than actually do it.
I don't buy tech, and it has cost me, over the last decade or so.

Tech is fickle, especially where Yahoo is sitting right now. Yahoo news integrates well into the social networks, but the social networks don't show signs of any strength. Now that Facebook is public they need to actually do something create a definable product. Add revenue is falling all over the net due mostly to Facebook. That same decline in add revenue is effecting Yahoo but Yahoo has actual and sellable product Yahoo news and Flickr. Monetizing flickr outside of adds is dicey because it's been a free service so long. Monetizing Yahoo news not so much, while free service there is precedent for moving to subscription.

If my name were Marissa I'd attempt to build an ecosystem out of Yahoo. custom home page for members that has news you care about, list of your IM friends with updates, a list of emails based on user set preference, new pictures your friends have uploaded to Flickr and updated forum posts for subscribed forums. Part google+, Tapatalk, Flipboard, and facebook. The first thing you check in the morning if you're under 40.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Tech is fickle, especially where Yahoo is sitting right now. Yahoo news integrates well into the social networks, but the social networks don't show signs of any strength. Now that Facebook is public they need to actually do something create a definable product. Add revenue is falling all over the net due mostly to Facebook. That same decline in add revenue is effecting Yahoo but Yahoo has actual and sellable product Yahoo news and Flickr. Monetizing flickr outside of adds is dicey because it's been a free service so long. Monetizing Yahoo news not so much, while free service there is precedent for moving to subscription.

If my name were Marissa I'd attempt to build an ecosystem out of Yahoo. custom home page for members that has news you care about, list of your IM friends with updates, a list of emails based on user set preference, new pictures your friends have uploaded to Flickr and updated forum posts for subscribed forums. Part google+, Tapatalk, Flipboard, and facebook. The first thing you check in the morning if you're under 40.

Now we're talking.

Agree monetizing flickr will be difficult, news would be even more so I think due to its lack of sound editorial direction, i.e. much of its "content" is crowd-sourced from lit majors, or so it seems. NY Times it is not.

Building a Yahoo as a Facebook equivalent may have been a theoretically good move a few years ago, but with so many people quitting social media altogether (not that anyone ever used google+) perhaps the move is away from one-stop-shopping home pages. Come to think of it kids are moving to twitter for more privacy, altogether bypassing fb, though instagram is a big part of that.

Buying or shorting Yahoo now is only for those who didn't purchased tech stocks 10 yrs. ago. There's absolutely no way to have confidence in any company due to a lack of transparency and clairvoyance.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:32 PM

i own some of the stock

and that is why i have interest and posed the original question. hoping that Loeb, new board, and new CEO might be smart enough, brutal enough to turn it around. it is like an aircraft carrier and those big things can't turn on a dime.

just in case you've never seen the woman in action, she is on stage here for over an hour and running full bore the entire time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyvd9fyXpDM

Last edited by eddief; 07-19-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Law Bomb

Subtle genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGadois View Post
I believe this guy is a Yahoo, Seriously.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 PM

my best stock buy ever was apple at 68. sure there has been a few stocks that have not done so well but there has been more winners than losers at least for me. and it just takes a handful of winners to offset the losers and a few big winners to put me a head. looking at yahoo's numbers growth is slow for a tech company but their p/e is low and they're reporting their numbers tomorrow. their stock price is low for the revenue they generate, lets see where they are in year.

remember she was employee number 20 at google and she was responsible for a lot of where google is now. and now all the money is mobile. the internet is nothing if you're not in the cloud.

Quote:

Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Now we're talking.

Agree monetizing flickr will be difficult, news would be even more so I think due to its lack of sound editorial direction, i.e. much of its "content" is crowd-sourced from lit majors, or so it seems. NY Times it is not.

Building a Yahoo as a Facebook equivalent may have been a theoretically good move a few years ago, but with so many people quitting social media altogether (not that anyone ever used google+) perhaps the move is away from one-stop-shopping home pages. Come to think of it kids are moving to twitter for more privacy, altogether bypassing fb, though instagram is a big part of that.

Buying or shorting Yahoo now is only for those who didn't purchased tech stocks 10 yrs. ago. There's absolutely no way to have confidence in any company due to a lack of transparency and clairvoyance.
I don't necessarily want Yahoo to become a facebook equivalent, it business is not sustainable. The one of the thing I like about yahoo news is it's lack of editorial direction there are "serious" news sources for that sort of thing.

Social media is on the wain right now because of the privacy concerns Facebook and Google just know far too much information about everyone. When the front page of tech review is "What Facebook Knows" tere is a problem.

Yahoo messenger could be used as twitter equivalent, you could even incorporate groupon into the home page.

Monetizing Flickr is as easy as making a 2.99 app that automatically loads photos taken on the phone to Flickr.

There is many directions for Yahoo to, its just locked in indecision right now.

The future is sandboxed browsers and mobile both of those things make collecting information the way Facebook does more difficult. Google is successful because Google has a product in search, Yahoo also has a product in flickr. The internet is full of free things that use the user as product, I think we're ready for a fee based service thats the product.

Last edited by Germany_chris; 07-20-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:

There is many direction for Yahoo to, its just locked in indecision right now.
And with good reason -- potential focus means it could lose everything very quickly, versus dying a slow death.

We'll see -- it's products and services don't appear to be strong enough to stand on their own next to the leaders.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 AM

yahoo was THE go-to place for a handful of years, esp. the late 90's/early 00's.

i think i stopped using it around 2003.

is it still around?

kidding, but at one point the home page became pure chaos. full of crap in every visible pixel. that was the end of using it for me.

google's #1 best feature is the simple home search page. so elegantly simple interface.