Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2017, 11:15 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
My experience has been as soles in shoes wear out, I get hot spots under my cleats.

New, stiff-soled shoes solve this problem for a few years, then I need new shoes again.

Repeat as necessary

Real leather shoes will also break in to the shape of your foot. You may try some Lakes made with kangaroo leather if you have a somewhat wide, but not EE foot.

HTH

M
Hm, that's what I've been noticing as well. I only ride MTB shoes, even on my road bikes--spd's only. I didn't adapt to clipless until mid-2000's. All was fine until 5 years later. All of the sudden, hot spots and numbness right at the cleat interface. Switched shoes to carbon sole. All fine for a few more years.

Before buying new shoes, I did try different inserts and such, to no avail.

As for heat: I find wearing thin wool socks helps the most. But it still gets hot. I'm in Utah, albeit further north than Beaver. Still blistering hot on summer days. Only solution is acclimation.

Last edited by p nut; 04-28-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:22 PM

I'll throw another pitch in here for one solution that got mentioned only once above: move your foot forward some on the pedal to take some pressure off the ball. It doesn't have to be much, it can make a large difference.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:54 PM

I've not tried, but Lake CX300 have a reputation for cool, maybe someone who has them can comment.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/techns.../#.WQOrmme1thE
Old 04-28-2017, 05:54 PM

Inserts?

I used to experience hot spots (from pressure, not heat) once in a while until I got some Specialized shoe inserts.

My brother-in-law swears by cycling sandals when he's riding his SPDs. He says they don't make 'em any more. I've never looked because they're not Italian.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
I've done Crusher twice. Last year I went with road shoes and pedals. There is absolutely no need for MTB pedals and shoes. Road pedals have a much bigger platform and the shoes tend to breath easier. Was so glad I went with road setup. Something to think about.

Please shoot me!
We have a winner!

I will also be using road pedals/cleats/shoes for the Crusher this year, and next weekend at the Chino Grinder. I just hope I'm not in the same age category as ^ guy I switched out my Egg Beaters to my beloved Time RXS road pedals and I love the way it feels and rides.

What's your gear ratio? I can't say my feet have ever suffered from intense heat from mashing out long climbs with a low cadence, but I figure if you're climbing Col du Crush with a 34t chain ring and 28t cog (like I did, last year...don't do what I did), then it probably won't help matters. I'll be using 34/46 chainrings and an 11/32t cassette.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:03 AM

Crusher: road shoes

So I'm not sure why I didn't think of it, but the road shoe and pedal suggestion from Andy STI and others is great. I am doing a Grasshopper race in Sonoma next weekend and will give it a try on that mixed surface event. If I wear road shoes, etc., do I magically get as ripped as Andy is in those photos?!

p.s. If anybody from the Bay Area is planning to drive to UT for the Crusher and wants to carpool, let me know.

Thanks all,

Taylor
SF CA
Old 04-29-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
We have a winner!

I will also be using road pedals/cleats/shoes for the Crusher this year, and next weekend at the Chino Grinder. I just hope I'm not in the same age category as ^ guy I switched out my Egg Beaters to my beloved Time RXS road pedals and I love the way it feels and rides.

What's your gear ratio? I can't say my feet have ever suffered from intense heat from mashing out long climbs with a low cadence, but I figure if you're climbing Col du Crush with a 34t chain ring and 28t cog (like I did, last year...don't do what I did), then it probably won't help matters. I'll be using 34/46 chainrings and an 11/32t cassette.
Good call with the road setup, hope it works well for you. For these sort of events it makes sense.

Crusher is unique with the amount of climbing and the altitude. I used a 34/32 last year and it was still a hellacious grind up the Col. 28 seems brutal, ouch!

Last year I won the 45+ category but I can't make it this year. Have fun!
Old 04-29-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor_walker View Post
So I'm not sure why I didn't think of it, but the road shoe and pedal suggestion from Andy STI and others is great. I am doing a Grasshopper race in Sonoma next weekend and will give it a try on that mixed surface event. If I wear road shoes, etc., do I magically get as ripped as Andy is in those photos?!
Keep in mind you may have to adjust your seat height. Most road pedals have a lower stack height, so your seat may have to come down a notch. I've been putting in some big rides on my setup as it is, so it's dialed in.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Good call with the road setup, hope it works well for you. For these sort of events it makes sense.

Crusher is unique with the amount of climbing and the altitude. I used a 34/32 last year and it was still a hellacious grind up the Col. 28 seems brutal, ouch!

Last year I won the 45+ category but I can't make it this year. Have fun!
Yes, running the 28 was my first mistake. I crashed on the Col descent too. Took 5th for my age category. I'm pretty sure my friend/teammate was in that front group with you until he had a massive sidewall tear that took him out. Great job last year!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Bike Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I still don't get your issue with DeFeet. I love their stuff.

This, what's up with the mention of Defeet in the title? Did you wear socks that were uncomfortable? They make several models, some may not be ideal for a ride like CitT...
Old 04-30-2017, 08:46 AM

All,

Regarding the original name of this post, I was trying to make a pun on "Defeat" regarding my feet and general performance at the Crusher, and I failed to recall there is a brand of socks by the name DeFeet. I guess I thought I was clever, when in fact I was using a brand name -- big mistake. Now that it has been brought to my attention, I feel badly, and I have changed the title.

My apologies for casting aspersions upon any brand -- that was not my intention.

Sincerely,

Taylor
SF CA
Old 04-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
I'll throw another pitch in here for one solution that got mentioned only once above: move your foot forward some on the pedal to take some pressure off the ball. It doesn't have to be much, it can make a large difference.
This works. Push the cleats back.