Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
cnighbor2

If

If no down tube stop brazed to DT than shifter will slowly work it way down the DT and shifting will be touch and go
Old 04-27-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austex View Post
What diameter is Atlanta down-tube? Most "standard" band clamps were for 28.6mm/1-1/8inch diameter. If the Atlanta is 31.8/1-1/4, the Problem Solvers or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOSE-RACING...-/152500879533

Tom
Tom,

Just measured it, 31.8mm. The borrowed Problem Solver clamps seem to fit, although I haven't snugged them down.

- Dan
Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
If no down tube stop brazed to DT than shifter will slowly work it way down the DT and shifting will be touch and go
Any thoughts/ideas on remedying this? Maybe some double-sided or friction tape inbetween? Loctite (the weak breakable type)? I agree that running in the big-big would put a lot of strain on the clamp.

-- Dan
Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 PM

Someone has to say it: downtube shifters? Really? They didn't work well in the 80s (even the best of them) and they won't work well now. The boss-less frame is trying to tell you something, I can hear it now. "Please take me into the 21st century!"
Old 04-27-2017, 09:32 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel23 View Post
Someone has to say it: downtube shifters? Really? They didn't work well in the 80s (even the best of them) and they won't work well now. The boss-less frame is trying to tell you something, I can hear it now. "Please take me into the 21st century!"
I will totally disagee with you. In the last couple of years quite a few of my rides have been with DT shifters and I think that they work great. In fact, I enjoy them so much that I removed the 10sp Ergos from the bike I ride the most and replaced them with DT shifters. Oh, and they are all friction only.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel23 View Post
Look, I don't want to start a religious war -- I like 'em, and they actually do work better for me. Just my opinion, hence the question.

-- Dan
Old 04-28-2017, 09:39 PM

the bikes we ride and the kits that are on them are as individual and unique as we are as people. they ought to represent what the rider likes in a ride and technology.

I personally didn't grow up riding bikes with DT shifters, so they are odd for me to use and would prefer something more modern.

If I were to end up with a bike that begged for them, I would most certainly go for them rather than move to a more current setup.

IMO
Old 04-28-2017, 09:41 PM

I like'em. Short cables. Minimal housing. They just feel better to me and that's all that really matters.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 AM

I like them, short cables, easy to setup, but they're also annoying compared to bar end shifters (for me).

I don't feel too confident removing my hand to shift down on the tube..
Old 04-29-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
I like them, short cables, easy to setup, but they're also annoying compared to bar end shifters (for me).

I don't feel too confident removing my hand to shift down on the tube..
Oh I like bar ends as well. One or the other works fine for me.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchguy View Post
Look, I don't want to start a religious war -- I like 'em, and they actually do work better for me. Just my opinion, hence the question.

-- Dan
I agree. The combo of retro friction shifters(easy aft, harder forward), stiff rear der, flexible chain and good FW or index type cogset...work great. Shift fast, compatible with anything, never out of adjust.

Must add in 'some' cycling finesse, otherwise opt for that 'automatic transmission' of click, lever mounted shifting.

Imho and all that.