Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Have you tried 11 speed wheels from both Campy and Shimano

I would like to hear about experiences from people who have tried the shifting back or forth between 11 speed Campy and Shimano.
For instance, I have a bike that is using a Shimano wheel and the owner wants to swap to Campy. Well, that hub doesn't offer a Campy freehub body, so I want to know if anyone has really tried the 11 speed shifting of a Campy bike with Shimano cassette?
Does it work like the common opinion says it does?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 PM

Yes, I'm running Chorus 2015 with a 105 11 speed cassette. I can't tell the difference, but then I try to shift lightly.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Riding Along

100% interchangeable. I run a shimano 105 cassette on my 11 speed chorus and it is perfect.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:10 PM

Thanks guys.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:11 PM

Thinking of trying the reverse. Buying an 11-29 Chorus or Potenza (Campagnolo?) to use with an otherwise all 105 setup. My legs prefer 23-26-29 vs. 23-25-28 when it comes to long climbs. It's supposed to work with just a quick turn of the barrel adjuster right?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Thinking of trying the reverse. Buying an 11-29 Chorus or Potenza (Campagnolo?) to use with an otherwise all 105 setup. My legs prefer 23-26-29 vs. 23-25-28 when it comes to long climbs. It's supposed to work with just a quick turn of the barrel adjuster right?
I used a Chorus 12-29 cassette on an Easton hub with Ultegra 6800 group. It worked fine.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 PM

At my old shop, we had 10-14 demo bikes which were all 11spd. Mostly shimano with a similar amount of campy and sram kits too.

We never bothered setting up campy wheels, as we sold lots of Mavic sets so we just went with the cheaper and simpler shim cassettes for all bikes. As long as the brake tracks and pads meshed, and tire sizes were cool we were happy and all was well.

No real need to swap 11spd wheels for campy to shim or vice versa, as it works good enough either way in my experience
Old 04-29-2017, 04:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I would like to hear about experiences from people who have tried the shifting back or forth between 11 speed Campy and Shimano.
For instance, I have a bike that is using a Shimano wheel and the owner wants to swap to Campy. Well, that hub doesn't offer a Campy freehub body, so I want to know if anyone has really tried the 11 speed shifting of a Campy bike with Shimano cassette?
Does it work like the common opinion says it does?
Yes, I first heard how well it does from Wayne Stetina, at Interbike..when 9000 was being introduced. Wayne Stetina is the shimano tech guru in the US.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yes, I first heard how well it does from Wayne Stetina, at Interbike..when 9000 was being introduced. Wayne Stetina is the shimano tech guru in the US.
That must make neutral support workers very happy.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:31 AM

I have been running both campy and shimano 11spd drive trains and wheelsets interchangeably since last year. Haven't noticed any difference and even bought a set of neutron ultras with a shimano free hub so I could run different ratios for less expense. They all work great together
Old 04-29-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
That's what I've got. Works with just a quick turn of the barrel adjuster.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 AM

you don't get optimal shifting. but works better if the cassette is shimano (whether on campy or shimano drivetrain). extreme dish of campy and all that.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
you don't get optimal shifting. but works better if the cassette is shimano (whether on campy or shimano drivetrain). extreme dish of campy and all that.
'Dish', placement of RH flange on shimano 11s compatible wheels/hubs and Campagnolo w/i 1mm of each other. Only so much room for a 11s cogset and 130mm spacing. 9000 and Record, for instance, both 16.5mm. 1mm difference in flange diameter(Campag 46/44 and shimano 45/44).
Besides, where the RH flange is has no real effect on shifting.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-29-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:12 AM
ergottWheels

Campagnolo 11 is 0.6mm wider than Shimano 11 (measured it).

When swapping any wheels you should always check your limit screws as not all hub manufacturers have the cassette stop in the same exact position in relation to the dropout. After doing that you can adjust your barrel so the middle cog as the correct tension in the rear mech and shifting will be as close as you can get it. I've had good luck swapping wheels, but if I'm putting a Shimano wheel on a Campagnolo bike I will put two micro shims in there to make things more exact and the shifting does improve.

When I put a Campagnolo 11 wheel on my Etap bike I most certainly had to micro adjust a few gears to get things perfect. Otherwise you get a noiser drivetrain and accelerated wear even if it does shift good enough.