Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 PM

I'm a loner. I like my Blackberry Passport. I like phones not many people have. My big fingers need buttons. I have big hands, so a wide phone doesn't bother me. I like how the phone works. I used my wife's iPhone (when she had one) and found it horrible. I used a Galaxy and the battery really sucked unless everything was turned off. I charge my Passport about every third day and use it heavily for email etc. It's a work phone and I like the way contacts, calendar and the "hub" works. It has good sound and I don't have to pay anyone to use any song (or sound) I have on it for my ring tones.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:08 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post

Addendum:
*battery life got much better once I got rid of the Facebook app. That thing was/is a piece of crap. Seriously, went from having to recharge at 4 PM to a charge lasting 2.5 days....anecdotally, this is also true for some of my Android-using friends...
Facebook is draining in so many more ways than just phone battery..life so much happier w/out FB drama.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 AM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
Facebook is draining in so many more ways than just phone battery..life so much happier w/out FB drama.
this times 1000

#deathbeforefacebook
Old 04-28-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Youngest son finally came over to Android from the dark side about 6 months ago. Loves Android, said he will never go back to Apple & wished he made the switch sooner.
We are now an Android family.
I understand if you're locked in to the Apple/Mac thing with work, home computer, etc. But if you can reasonably make the jump - do it.
which phone is he using? I'm shopping now and don't what to pay for the flagship models but want the waterproof feature!
Old 04-28-2017, 04:14 PM

Motorola g4 is waterproof and definitely mid-range.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
[*]I am shocked that Apple has as much market share as it does[/LIST]
Yes....my thoughts exactly.

I've always been on Android and was never interested in an iPhone. But, to be honest, I was a little worried that if I did ever try one extensively that I might like it.

Wrong.

I have one now for work (iPhone 6) and a Note 4 personally. Our work app is very much optimized for iOS instead of Android, so I use iPhone for that, but otherwise, it's always my second choice.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frikki View Post
I moved over to google's Fi service a few months back with a Nexus 5x and am never looking back.

I average ~$35/mo for service. The android OS, after the two week learning curve, is much more intuitive than ios ever was to me and the phone is perfectly adequate, for $300 retail.
The rest of my devices are all apple, but I really I use airdroid if I ever need to actually interface with my phone, not using the phone.
Use VLC as the music/media player of choice.
The camera is a little slow but takes lovely pictures, if that's something that matters
I'm really considering making the same move. I've been with Sprint since the beginning but it's obscenely expensive now. What area of the country are you in and how's the wifi coverage work for you?
Old 04-28-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
I'm really considering making the same move. I've been with Sprint since the beginning but it's obscenely expensive now. What area of the country are you in and how's the wifi coverage work for you?
NYC, works like a charm.
No connectivity loss ever, my only semi gripe is that it doesn't always grab a network instantly after coming up from underground (but i'm really grasping at straws here).
Have travelled up to Finger Lakes and back, lost reception a couple of times in the sticks, but that doesn't justify paying twice as much a month.

I've taken it to Europe, connected instantly, cost next to nothing.

Honestly though, what I realized I'm most pleased with is that they just leave me the f alone.
I never ever get emails about some sort of promotion, or some totally draconic change in their rate structure or new phones/peripherals/anything.
I get my bill once a month, and then they sent something little for xmas, a pdf of a little snowman you can cut out and tape together for your desk.

That is consumer heaven
Old 04-29-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
same reasons i jumped from the apple ship. too many updates (and their seemingly endless patches to updates) that bricked phones or slowed them down.
Helpful tip: over-the-air iOS updates only happen over wifi. If you only connect to wifi at home, just block the following sites on your home router:

mesu.apple.com
appldnld.apple.com

This will not affect your iPhone app updates or any of your MacOS updates. Everything in your mac/iphone world will work as normal, but over-the-air iOS updates will not happen.

Android is a great alternative, but if you just make Apple devices do what you want, you don't necessarily need to change. I've kept an iPhone 4S on iOS 7 this way for years.

Last edited by dgauthier; 04-29-2017 at 02:32 AM.