Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2017, 01:09 AM

^This. Going up Gtown from the 30 side is sketchy depending on the time of day. Better to descend that side on non-rush hour times. Typically you can descend faster than the cars can.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:22 AM

^^ be careful even when descending - I've had people come over halfway into my lane on the turns going uphill - this isn't one to bomb down..
Old 04-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Up past Forest Heights headed toward Cedar Hills - NW Thompson headed West downhill where there's that first right turn to Laidlaw, or you keep going down the hill on Thompson.

Riding in Portland 10-15 years ago was a LOT different than it is now. There's more infrastructure in the city these days, but the old routes for roadies have gotten horrible with the suburban sprawl and increased population. It's one of my main reasons for wanting to find another place to live - I've been in Portland off and on since the late 90s and it just isn't my jam anymore.
I remember that area well, even then when we moved from Portland that area was building up with developments and traffic was increasing. I miss riding the NW hills but I suspect it would be a lot different today then when we were living off Barnes Rd there.

William
Old 04-28-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
Make sure it's Old Germantown (on the west side of skyline). Narrow and shaded, but virtually traffic free (purely residential and not a through road).

Regular Germantown is a very busy and dangerous road going uphill. I only ever downhill it.

See ya out there!
Yes!! Old Germantown has a lot of fast impatient drivers, Old Germantown is pretty and chill. My personal favorite little road in that immediate area is Rock Creek. Very quiet, beautiful and stress free. It tends to be in poor repair, so you need to keep your eyes open.

Mix in Saltzman and Old Cornellius Pass with a bit of the calmer section of Skyline, and you have a really nice loop that's largely stress-free for that area.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
Make sure it's Old Germantown (on the west side of skyline). Narrow and shaded, but virtually traffic free (purely residential and not a through road).

Regular Germantown is a very busy and dangerous road going uphill. I only ever downhill it.

See ya out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do, thanks.