Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
Wow-we have good friends who probably live within blocks of that seller. Tempting! I will talk to the boss!
Old 04-28-2017, 02:39 PM

I have owned a CSi with an F1 fork and a steel fork. f1 is a good fork, but the steel fork is better imho. Clearance as noted above is one. But I also think I notice a bit of a difference in handling, but not much. Mostly for me it is aesthetics.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:27 PM

Looks like this yellow CSi is mine!

Thanks Jet Sanchez for bird-dogging it--and my friends did indeed live right around the corner!

I pick it up next weekend in DC!

(Mercian is sold, Concorde EL-OS is on the 'bay, sold probably two things a day for the past two weeks...getting leaner and faster.)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Older CSi

I have an older CSi with the original steel fork. The bottom bracket does not have a plastic cable guide, just two loops through which the derailleur cables pass, rubbing on the underside of the bottom bracket. Any suggestions to minimize friction/ improve shifting would be appreciated
Old 06-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
I have an older CSi with the original steel fork. The bottom bracket does not have a plastic cable guide, just two loops through which the derailleur cables pass, rubbing on the underside of the bottom bracket. Any suggestions to minimize friction/ improve shifting would be appreciated
Take a scrap piece of STi type gear cable housing and use a razor blade to carefully shave a section of the outer plastic off. This will allow the whole mess to come apart setting free the plastic liner.

Now cut the plastic liner to the proper length and slide it over the cable on the underside of the BB shell and all will be slippery and smooth.

dave
Old 06-12-2017, 11:02 AM

I screwed up about a month ago at a local bike shop swap meet. There was a 56-57 cm CSI for sale for $1500. It had an F1 fork and bi-lam lugs. The frame was either new old stock or had been repainted it was that nice. Unfortunately I ride a 61-62cm so it was way too small for me.

I talked someone else into buying it, telling them all about how great Serottas are and how the CSI is considered one of the more desirable ones to get. Only after convincing him to buy it did I really start to look it over. It had a new Chorus 11 speed group, and new Bora One 35 clinchers. I should have told him he doesn't really want a crappy old steel bike and that he should look for something like a Specialized Tarmac. I could have stripped the components and made someone here a good deal on a nice frame.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Everything is connected

Just like Dave Kirk said...from the pages of Mr. Sachs as an example.

Last edited by rwsaunders; 12-30-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Paredown, How does the CSi ride? I finished building my early CSi with a steel fork, and really like it. Amazed at how it climbs and handles. When I decide to take a ride, it's hard not to grab it over my other rides. Perhaps it is the newness factor. I'm riding Continental 4000's, 25's. I have plenty of room for them, and they are more like 28's. Dave, thanks for the idea for the BB guides. I'll have to make that modification in the near future.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
Paredown, How does the CSi ride? I finished building my early CSi with a steel fork, and really like it. Amazed at how it climbs and handles. When I decide to take a ride, it's hard not to grab it over my other rides. Perhaps it is the newness factor. I'm riding Continental 4000's, 25's. I have plenty of room for them, and they are more like 28's. Dave, thanks for the idea for the BB guides. I'll have to make that modification in the near future.
I'm over the moon with that yellow CSi. Just short rides so far because I'm still very unfit after the winter/surgeries-- but it is lively and planted--tracks perfectly. I think I said in another thread that the closest thing to it that I have ridden was a custom Peter Moooney that I sold in the recession. I'm running 25s as well (mismatched at present because I have the "new" wheel on the front and the original on the rear.)

All I've done so far is raise the seat, replace one spoke and true the rear, adjust the brakes a a little--although I'm now running a new front wheel. I think I have all the bits collected up, so soon I will take it apart, Framesaver it, and build back up with Campy 10.