Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalker View Post
Ya- he has no quantifiable evidence of any sort so he uses romantic language to sell products that can't even be backed up by any sort of psuedoscience, ethos, or data of any sort. Local bros who want to support the scene and/or feel better about their purchase praise it, of course, and it creates a cycle of approval that interweaves social approval and nothingness with actual outputs. In most industries people wouldn't buy into it at full force as they do with cycling and since the Team Dream/Radavist hype machine helps propagate this kind of product marketing it just inflates from there.

I mean, living here in LA I agree that the Prolly/Radavist/TeamDream/GSC fans sort of live in a weird echo chamber, but what's John done wrong? People seem to like his wheels. He's been working in cycling for something like 35 years, and he's a really, really nice guy. Sometimes cycling can use a little more narrative and a little less tech specs.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:52 PM

Yeah, John's not a bandwagon jumper-- he was building hundreds of wheels for DHers in the 1990s. Not everybody needs to trot out some (scientifically dubious, marketing driven) faux materials science to be credible. I'd buy a set of wheels from him if I needed a set of custom wheels I couldn't build myself. The affiliation w/Stinner is not a plus to me but it sells his product, so more power to him.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:45 PM

Why does building with old technology matter? Those wheels were really easy to build.

I was mainly curious when he had strong opinions on well-regarded products. He would say I9 hubs don't work well, but liked Kings. King's have more seal drag, ****tier hub geo, and the flange spoke angle ain't any better. So, he couldn't answer. He hasn't built with the majority of currently available brands and nothing out of the normal DT/King/generic/WI fold, which probably works OK for generic builds, but not someone I would go to for anything that needed to be beyond generic in any regard.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:30 PM
aka RAEKWON

any news on these? have some hubs ready to be laced to these
Old 06-04-2017, 03:06 PM

HED Belgium Plus...hard to beat.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
any news on these? have some hubs ready to be laced to these
I've had some on order but don't remember the ETA. Will check with my rep on Tuesday.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
HED Belgium Plus...hard to beat.
I agree but these will be similar priced and why not give them a try

@elliott - Let me know what the rep says, articles were saying June/July, I am getting antsy.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:08 PM

Anyone know if these are available yet? I can't seem to find any details except one note that they got pushed back to Christmas-ish...
Old 12-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Anyone know if these are available yet? I can't seem to find any details except one note that they got pushed back to Christmas-ish...
According to the website(internal ordering one), they have the standard rim brake version in 24, 28, 32 in stock now- 30+ of each.

The disc brake version, they have none of any size. It says they will 30+ of the 32 hole tomorrow. But their system sucks. I've ordered stuff even when it says it's in stock and it's not. Or the system says it'll be in on a day, day comes and goes and they don't have it.

If you want something let me know.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:26 PM

Pardon me if this has been covered, but has Mavic stated officially that the OP Exalith will NOT be produced? (I read something about this on WeightWeenies/ Grain o salt) Either way, the time elapsed since the initial 'tease' suggests this product isn't happening.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:43 PM
aka RAEKWON

just get the boyds altamont lite ceramics
Old 06-25-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
just get the boyds altamont lite ceramics
Oh wow, this is a pretty bold claim:

I don't have good experience with these coated alloy rims so I've been leery, but if Boyd stands by its claim I'd be tempted to give those a whirl.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post

I don't have good experience with these coated alloy rims so I've been leery, but if Boyd stands by its claim I'd be tempted to give those a whirl.
The coated Boyds are the real deal. My customers that have them continue to wander by telling me how great the braking performance is.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:06 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post

I have 2 sets of boys, altamonts to their boyd 85 and a set of altamont lite laced by my builder to a tune front and powertap rear. The coating is very strong. I love the rims but... the coat does wear off. However if you use the rims for road ridding, no rain, I can see them lasting forever.... However the second you ride during rain and the roads are grimmey or if you do a lot of gravel, then you going to get wear in the coat. I can post pictures. Mine only has happened in the rear rim for some reason. I have 1000 miles on the lites and 500 on the altamonts. The altamonts look almost brand new but I rode in the rain once and there is a line scratch all around the rim. The altamont lites have a lot more wear and its all over the brake track.

I still recommend them. Great braking, really nice construction
Old 06-25-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I have 2 sets of boys, altamonts to their boyd 85 and a set of altamont lite laced by my builder to a tune front and powertap rear. The coating is very strong. I love the rims but... the coat does wear off. However if you use the rims for road ridding, no rain, I can see them lasting forever.... However the second you ride during rain and the roads are grimmey or if you do a lot of gravel, then you going to get wear in the coat. I can post pictures. Mine only has happened in the rear rim for some reason. I have 1000 miles on the lites and 500 on the altamonts. The altamonts look almost brand new but I rode in the rain once and there is a line scratch all around the rim. The altamont lites have a lot more wear and its all over the brake track.

I still recommend them. Great braking, really nice construction

Do you know which version of the coating you have? They made a change; gen2 much much better than Gen1
Here's their page with info about it.