Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 AM

Grinduro USA registration is open...

....and its $200.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/grindur...S-Registration

You get a night's camping (maybe two? Not sure, only found confirmation for one night) and three meals, on race day. For most folks, its a drive (its kind of in the middle of nowhere), and some time off work, driving up the cost pretty significantly.

Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM

2 nights camping. I thought about it but its way far from me and there will likely be other great rides/ races that weekend closer to home.

I just ran the NYC half marathon (not a runner) and it occurred to me in the first few miles that anyone anywhere can run 13.1 miles whenever they want. The lure of organized events like this is that you get to do it with others in a unique (raceday) environment. That's fun and all but really not appealing to me. When I was a newcomer to the sport/ hobby, events like Grinduro sounded cool and I wanted to be a part of them. Now that I'm not a newcomer, I'd rather save my ~$300 (plus travel$$) and go ride cool roads with my friends.

I guess my point is, unless you want to win or get in a photo gallery on The Radavist, why not just go ride these roads any of the other 364 days?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 AM

+1

Also, all of these events start SO early!

Saving money is important but a good night's rest is even more so.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
2 nights camping. I thought about it but its way far from me and there will likely be other great rides/ races that weekend closer to home.

I just ran the NYC half marathon (not a runner) and it occurred to me in the first few miles that anyone anywhere can run 13.1 miles whenever they want. The lure of organized events like this is that you get to do it with others in a unique (raceday) environment. That's fun and all but really not appealing to me. When I was a newcomer to the sport/ hobby, events like Grinduro sounded cool and I wanted to be a part of them. Now that I'm not a newcomer, I'd rather save my ~$300 (plus travel$$) and go ride cool roads with my friends.

I guess my point is, unless you want to win or get in a photo gallery on The Radavist, why not just go ride these roads any of the other 364 days?
Nope, still a newb. How else do you get the necessary, if unspoken, feedback and validation for all the critical decisions- bike choice & build, kit, etc? And if you're not flagged on Facebook or Instagram (ideally both) it's not worth the effort, you're better off staying home to polish your vintage cranks