Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
That's funny your hunting for it. I have a brand new bottle they gave me ages ago and never tried it. Same with NFS and like 8 other types/brands. I have cases of Motorex lube, degreaser and polish. Never opened.
Sounds like your next giveaway!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Uff Da! It does to me. If I do a long ride & have to toss the bike in the car, have to have the windows open. No problem going to the ride, just after. Of course...it could be me.
It's you, (your bibshorts in the bag under the seat maybe?) or you're using too much. I have a nose like a truffle pig and frequently keep the bike in the hatchback closed up all day in the sun at work but I don't smell anything once I've wiped the chain after application. You could try version 2, the biodegradable version? I switched back to homebrew (chainsaw bar lube +OMS) after my experience with Chain-L, but NFS is good stuff makes life easier and so much cleaner.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 AM

Eh, well....a handful of years ago i needed some chain lube and had ran out, nothing available. Grabbed some Mobil 1 from my car stash, and presto. Been using ever since! I'm at least 5 years into the same 5w30 quart that I started with, and at the usage rate, it'll be a couple more presidential administrations or so by the time I need to refresh. It works wonderfully. I keep my drivetrain super clean as it is, and see zero noticeable difference between it and all the fancier bike-specific lubes I've used over the many years of riding. My drivetrains are nice & quiet.

I do, however, think that a bunch of marketing folks just rolled over in their graves and threw up a little.....since I'm not supporting their company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
A whole bunch of chemists and engineers just rolled over in their graves and threw up in their mouths.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Picshooter

Agreed. I have been using 1 part Mobil 1 diluted with 3 1/2 parts mineral spirits for years as well. Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Eh, well....a handful of years ago i needed some chain lube and had ran out, nothing available. Grabbed some Mobil 1 from my car stash, and presto. Been using ever since! I'm at least 5 years into the same 5w30 quart that I started with, and at the usage rate, it'll be a couple more presidential administrations or so by the time I need to refresh. It works wonderfully. I keep my drivetrain super clean as it is, and see zero noticeable difference between it and all the fancier bike-specific lubes I've used over the many years of riding. My drivetrains are nice & quiet.

I do, however, think that a bunch of marketing folks just rolled over in their graves and threw up a little.....since I'm not supporting their company.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post
Sounds like your next giveaway!

HA!!! That's funny.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:18 PM

I like Chain L but have always used it a nuclear option (I hate that term-sorry), typically in winter. It works great, but, compared to dry lubes, once it's on there your chain will never be clean again. Probably applying too much, but still.