Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Bell Zephyr helmet - user comments please

As the title states, how do you like your Bell Zephyr helmet?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 PM

I have one on backorder. Looking forward to checking it out.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:30 AM

I didn't love the fit and ended up returning it. It was much rounder than I expected and I had a lot of space on the sides. And I couldn't get my sunglasses to stay in the helmet, which is a deal breaker for me since most of my rides start in the dark. It looks well built and I've loved Bell helmets in the past, but the Zephyr was a miss for me.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:40 AM

I've been using a zephyr since last October, and I would recommend it. Ventilation is very good, retention system works, compact look to it. But the real reason I got it was the double shell/MIPS safety aspect. My philosophy is that if you are going to wear a helmet, get the one that is more likely to help you if you need it. I am certainly not under the illusion that a helmet will save you no matter what. But should a crash happen, I would want to be wearing the zephyr. It has a much more dense and substantial construction. It is a few grams heavier, but you can't tell when it's on your head.
I have an oval shaped 59cm head. The Medium fits well, I am little clicks of the retention system from max. The fit is oval, but not as oval as a Specialized. I also have a medium Specy Evade, an that is slightly larger and a bit narrower.
Looks are up to the looker. To me, the zephyr is fairly conservative looking. Not really noticeable in a group.
The only fail, for me, is the Sweat Management System. This is an extention of the liner that comes down over the front lip of the helmet. It is said to prevent sweat from dripping into your eyes. I live in Florida and never noticed a problem with sweat dripping in my eyes. With the zephyr, I get sweat dripping onto the front of my sunglasses.
Overall, Zephyr gets a thumbs up.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:09 AM

I got the Zephyr in yesterday and fitted it up. Best fitting helmet I've ever had. First ride report coming soon.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Been riding with one for about a month now. The double shell construction plus MIPS (noted earlier) were part of the driver for the helmet. Great air flow, comfortable and easy to adjust. It does depart slightly from what I'd call the typical Bell shape. It's a bit wider side to side. Having tried a half dozen other helmets over the past three years it's still one of the better fitting helmets for me. Adding a cap does make it a touch snug front to rear.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
I got the Zephyr in yesterday and fitted it up. Best fitting helmet I've ever had. First ride report coming soon.
That's good news. Mine's still backordered for a long time now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
Having tried a half dozen other helmets over the past three years it's still one of the better fitting helmets for me. Adding a cap does make it a touch snug front to rear.
That's bad news. I was hoping to have enough wiggle room in my size to get away with a thermal cap over the winter....
Old 05-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Arts Cyclery has them instock but at full price. As for fit with a cap, mine will be big enough and I have a big noggin.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the tip. My existing source just pushed back the backorder delivery date to July 30!
Seems like Bell either has a production problem, or they did not expect the demand. Either way....not good....
Old 05-06-2017, 09:25 PM

Rode with the Bell Zephyr today and it's mighty fine. Very light and airy feeling. These are really nice helmets and the best fit I've ever had.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:08 PM

Great helmet! It was a little weird coming off years with a POC, the fit is different but I really enjoyed it.
And after my big wreck last year, I have to think it would have been much worse if not for the MIPS in there. I guess it's hard to tell either way, but I am a believer in the system.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:27 AM

Here's a photo of my issue with the "sweat management system". After about an hour, there is so much dried sweat of the lenses it is difficult to see. Poor design: once the small chiclet sized pad extension fills with sweat, it has nowhere to go but on your glasses. This feature looks to have been designed by the marketing dept and never actually tested on a real ride. I just cut the extension off, making it a "normal" helmet. will see how it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0593[1].jpg (39.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Looks like you may want to cut that little bit off the pad?

It works okay for me but my hair probably holds up some of the moisture. The fit and air flow of the helmet is outstanding.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Just FYI - I e-mailed Bell about the limited availability and 10+ week backorder on the Zephyr. Very nice woman responded and asked me which model/size was I looking for. Great! Now we're getting somewhere! I told her and received in response:
Quote:
"We currently do not have any available in stock no date at this date to when they will be available. Thank you."
Old 05-22-2017, 07:03 PM

Arts?
2 day free shipping from California.