Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2017, 09:01 PM

OT truck tonneau covers

Anyone out there have a bed cover that allows bed access for taller items when needed (like the roll back or tri-fold)--water tight would be nice, and lockable
thanks
jim
Old 04-08-2017, 09:27 PM

If security is a serious matter for you, most tonneau covers aren't good for much. I wouldn't want to leave a truck parked overnight in a motel parking lot with a tonneau cover with a pro bike underneath.

I have a Diamondback cover. It's actually made of diamond plate aluminum, either aluminum or sprayed with something like Linex. You can get it configured many different ways with a tool box underneath, two doors, three doors, side doors, whatever. You can fold a door over and have something tall inside. The whole thing pops off in about a minute. There's a version with thicker diamond plate and with braces underneath so you can put an ATV or whatever on top.

www.diamondbackcovers.com

The fiberglass lids would be my next consideration. At least they can't get sliced open. There are a number of good brands; mostly you want to pick one that fits particularly well on your particular truck. Some get it right on one vehicle and don't on the next. I'd see what you can actually find on the same vehicle you have, and see how you like them. The fit is pretty atrocious on some, especially where they can use one mold for two or three truck models. I think it's Fords that have a slight taper to the box and don't look as well if a lid isn't made specifically for them. And note that most fiberglass lids have really poor locks that you can pop in seconds. Again, if there's a bike underneath ...
Old 04-08-2017, 09:45 PM

thanks!

Well security wise I wasn't thinking of absolute security just general deterrent to easy theft. I may need up with a heel (what sort of autocorrect was that--I may end up with a shell), just starting to research and appreciate your advice and the link to diamondback. most trucks in my neighborhood have solid, painted to match covers, but i wanted something that could allow upright transport if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
If security is a serious matter for you, most tonneau covers aren't good for much. I wouldn't want to leave a truck parked overnight in a motel parking lot with a tonneau cover with a pro bike underneath.

I have a Diamondback cover. It's actually made of diamond plate aluminum, either aluminum or sprayed with something like Linex. You can get it configured many different ways with a tool box underneath, two doors, three doors, side doors, whatever. You can fold a door over and have something tall inside. The whole thing pops off in about a minute. There's a version with thicker diamond plate and with braces underneath so you can put an ATV or whatever on top.

www.diamondbackcovers.com

The fiberglass lids would be my next consideration. At least they can't get sliced open. There are a number of good brands; mostly you want to pick one that fits particularly well on your particular truck. Some get it right on one vehicle and don't on the next. I'd see what you can actually find on the same vehicle you have, and see how you like them. The fit is pretty atrocious on some, especially where they can use one mold for two or three truck models. I think it's Fords that have a slight taper to the box and don't look as well if a lid isn't made specifically for them. And note that most fiberglass lids have really poor locks that you can pop in seconds. Again, if there's a bike underneath ...

Last edited by jimcav; 04-09-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:57 PM

I've got one of these on my F150.

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/shop-...FZ24wAodAFwM5A

I've done a bunch of road trips including some in serious downpours and everything stayed dry. Stays dry in a carwash. It does let dust in which is kind of a mystery. Someone can always slash it I guess, but they can't steal it if the tailgate is locked.

Edit, I've got a weathertech rubber bed mat.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:26 PM

I have been pretty happy with the Extang Trifecta tonneau cover on my F150.

It installs in minutes without tools, and when your tailgate is locked there is no bed access.
You can fold it open in seconds and have the back 2/3rds of your bed for big/tall items or take it completely off and have the full bed.
It is pretty water tight also.

I think it is the best option for someone who wants a bedcover that can be quickly removed to haul larger items.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:32 PM

I used an Access cover back when I had a truck. It's soft roll up, so it could be cut, but you can't unlatch/roll it up with out first lowering the gate. They are crazy durable. Someone jumped up and sat on mine thinking it was a hard cover. She was only 140lbs or so, but it held her up without any issue. I sold it to a guy at work and he is still using it. I guess that's got to be 11+ years in Iowa with most of it parked outside.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

I've had the BAKFlip G2 folding tonneau cover for close to 8 years on my 2009 F-150. http://bakindustries.com/p-8147-bakf...-overview.html

It sees a lot of use and has been very durable over the 130,000 miles on my truck. I really like the folding function, as I don't have to take the cover completely off if I want to carry my motorcycles in back. It also works great for when I'm transporting multiple mountain bikes by having the front wheels hang over the tailgate. You can see here how I just fold a few of the panels back, and they kind of just rest on the wheels of the bikes.

Also works really well during christmas time to fold back the cover in order to bring home the christmas tree. And also works well to simply fold it back if you're hauling refrigerators, couches and washers/driers. Super easy to use.

Not sure if it's 100% "water tight" but I've never had an issue with water intrusion into the bed, and I leave my truck parked outside. Water's never an issue. As far as security goes, it's pretty solid with aluminum outer and inner panels, with a foam core. If you lock the tailgate, you can't open it unless you're sawing into it. So it effectively keeps random people from getting to your stuff. But of course, if someone really wants to get in and has some saws/crowbars, they'll get in.

They're not cheap.... Probably one of the more expensive options out there. But totally worth it. If I bought another new truck, I'd buy another one of these.

Last edited by ofcounsel; 04-09-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:02 AM
n - 1

I've had a Bakflip g2 a bit over a year now. It is a nice cover, and I've noticed hardly any water intrusion. There are a few gripes though:

- With the cover closed and tailgate open, you must lift the cover before shutting the tailgate.
- Accordingly, with the tailgate shut, you can't access the bed without dropping the tailgate and opening the cover. I understand this may be considered good from a security standpoint, but I wish there were a locking mechanism that gives option to do both.
- Rails that's mounted to the bed seems it would easily be damaged by heavy cargo (when hauling with the cover open and cargo leaning against the side of the bed). Fortunately, I don't haul heavy stuff, but still bugs me.

If I were to do it again, I'd go for the Extang Solid Fold. It's not as sleek, but addresses all points above. And complete removal is a cinch. And it's much cheaper!

https://www.extang.com/p-36824-solid-fold-2-0.html
Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I've got one of these on my F150.

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/shop-...FZ24wAodAFwM5A

I've done a bunch of road trips including some in serious downpours and everything stayed dry. Stays dry in a carwash. It does let dust in which is kind of a mystery. Someone can always slash it I guess, but they can't steal it if the tailgate is locked.

Edit, I've got a weathertech rubber bed mat.
I've had the same one on my truck for 7 years and love it.Have had zero problems with it.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:41 AM
bourbon!

I just installed a Gator SR1 on my 05 Silverado. It has been through plenty of rain and a car wash with no issues. Everything totally dry underneath. It took about 20 minutes to install. I bought a used one from Amazon and it's indistinguishable from new. $175 was well spent.

I have a toolbox and fork mounts in the side of the bedrails, so the SR1 was the best option for mounting to the top rails. The trifold options wouldn't work with the toolbox, so the rollup option was the only way to go. I haven't traveled with a bike yet, but I have run it with the cover rolled up and secured with zero issues.

I am not too concerned with security as I keep my truck in sight at all times when I'm traveling. I like that the bed is covered to discourage a quick peek-and-grab of whatever might be in the bed.

https://www.realtruck.com/gator-sr1-...bZIaAlr28P8HAQ
Old 04-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Re:

I have a Gaylords fiberglass tonneau cover I bought for a multi-day trip where stuff would be stored in the bed. It's painted to match my truck. It looks great, it's very secure, is reasonably water tight, and is strong enough to put fork mounts and carry bikes on top. The draw-back is it is very heavy and requires three men to lift it off the truck or re-install.

Last edited by bart998; 04-09-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I used an Access cover back when I had a truck. It's soft roll up, so it could be cut, but you can't unlatch/roll it up with out first lowering the gate. They are crazy durable. Someone jumped up and sat on mine thinking it was a hard cover. She was only 140lbs or so, but it held her up without any issue. I sold it to a guy at work and he is still using it. I guess that's got to be 11+ years in Iowa with most of it parked outside.
I'll second this. I have one on my 11 year old Chevy Silverado also always parked outside. And in Quebec we get a LOT of snow and then ice on snow. Had a "Pop Lock" lock put in the tailgate and it can't be gotten into. Which was an expensive-ish problem when the Pop Lock died.

Plus their customer service is great. On my recommendation a friend bought one for his Dodge. When he had some peeling on it 4 years after he bought it, they replaced it without a fuss.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:01 PM

I've had a soft cover Truxedo for a number of years. Maybe not really so secure, but covers well and works as well as it did when installed.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:43 PM

Thanks all, got a Bak Flip Fibermax

that popped up on CL. great shape, i like the function, it seems solid and secure and leaves the stake holes open so i can put a rack on if needed. I have this dream of finding a rack and roof top tent--just think my boys would love that. also makes me wish i had done machine shop versus wood shop in high school--seems a perfect DIY weld project

jim
Old 04-11-2017, 12:43 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

Nice! Congrats!