Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 PM

My question wasn't too clear I think

I've ridden and raced on both pedal systems in their respective habitats. I've simply never done a 100mi road ride with SPDs and although I've done some gravel races and fondos, it's different than what could be done sometimes on the Open. I would say that lots of my riding will be roads, fire roads, mild double/single track. I just do not know the tipping point where it makes sense to run SPD or MTB pedals all the time, and, for those who do it, if it's noticeable vs a SPD-SL
Old 04-10-2017, 03:14 PM

It's really a question of how comfortable/stiff your SPD shoes are vs your SPD-SL shoes.

My SPD setup (nylon soles) is much flexier than my SPD-SL setup (carbon soles). They are both Bontrager shoes so they fit identically so that really isn't a factor, and I even wear the exact same pair of orthotics in both shoes.

I can really feel the extra flex in the SPD setup at say 300+ watts, I can feel the cleat pushing into my foot on the downstroke and the whole sole of the shoe flexing away from my foot on the upstroke. I don't really feel that at all on the SPD-SL setup. But I don't necessarily think it actually makes any difference in foot comfort at the end of 100 miles, and my general feeling is the SPD setup is actually more comfortable a lot of the time, that the flex perhaps helps blood flow or something. I haven't done so but they make the MTB shoes I have in a carbon sole too, I've contemplated getting that and then the stiffness difference would largely go away.

The only other real variable is the SPD-SL shoes mount the cleats in a different position, but I have tried really hard to get the exact same relationship of foot to pedal spindle on both shoes.

Last edited by benb; 04-10-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
It's really a question of how comfortable/stiff your SPD shoes are vs your SPD-SL shoes.
This is what I was trying to express - stiff soled shoes with 2 bolt cleats are very similar to road pedal systems unless you're doing some major sprinting, even after 100 miles (but make sure those cleats are positioned correctly). More walkable shoes will flex more and you'll feel it when you climb or sprint, but are fine for more casual rides. The tipping point is really how often you need to walk. If you're walking with any regularity while outdoors on a ride with soft surfaces, two bolt shoes seem like the only choice.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalker View Post

I've ridden and raced on both pedal systems in their respective habitats. I've simply never done a 100mi road ride with SPDs and although I've done some gravel races and fondos, it's different than what could be done sometimes on the Open. I would say that lots of my riding will be roads, fire roads, mild double/single track. I just do not know the tipping point where it makes sense to run SPD or MTB pedals all the time, and, for those who do it, if it's noticeable vs a SPD-SL
Can only speak for myself. I started out with SPD-SL on my gravel bike and swapped over to SPDs after about a week. I've done two 200+ mile gravel rides and several 100+ rides on SPDs and never felt like my shoes/pedals limited me.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:42 PM

I did my first super randonneur series on a road bike with the one sided roadish SPDs and would never again. Even with the bigger platform the two bolt cleats gave me hot spots and foot pain that I don't experience with SLs. I can walk around stores and such just fine in road cleats.

I use SPDs on my fast gravel bike. I guess if I knew that a long ride (200k plus but no overnight) would be clean enough, I'd consider SLs but would probably stick with two bolt. It sucks to worry about whether you're going to get back in after a dab.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalker View Post

I've done lots of 100+ and 200+ mile rides with SPDs. I feel the pedal system doesn't really matter, it's just dependent on how comfortable the shoe is.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

My SPD setup (nylon soles) is much flexier than my SPD-SL setup (carbon soles). They are both Bontrager shoes so they fit identically so that really isn't a factor, and I even wear the exact same pair of orthotics in both shoes.

I can really feel the extra flex in the SPD setup at say 300+ watts, I can feel the cleat pushing into my foot on the downstroke and the whole sole of the shoe flexing away from my foot on the upstroke. I don't really feel that at all on the SPD-SL setup. But I don't necessarily think it actually makes any difference in foot comfort at the end of 100 miles, and my general feeling is the SPD setup is actually more comfortable a lot of the time, that the flex perhaps helps blood flow or something. I haven't done so but they make the MTB shoes I have in a carbon sole too, I've contemplated getting that and then the stiffness difference would largely go away.

The only other real variable is the SPD-SL shoes mount the cleats in a different position, but I have tried really hard to get the exact same relationship of foot to pedal spindle on both shoes.
I only run top-of-the-line shoes regardless. Right now I have S-Works 6 XC and the shoes in question are the new Shimano S-Phyre RC9
Old 04-10-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngroup View Post
I just bought a pair of Speedplay SYZR for this exact purpose
I really like the Syzr for gravel. I do not like them for pure MTB though. I've raced them up to 120 miles on gravel and found them more comfortable than SPDs and ATACs. They have a very direct feel, and more platform than the other MTB pedals.