Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2017, 08:13 PM

Allied Alpha?

Has anyone ridden one of these yet? https://alliedcycleworks.com/allied-alfa/ I'm looking for a new bike, probably built with eTap. I'm currently on a custom Lynskey R460 frame I've had for ten seasons. I'm intrigued by the Allied Alpha, and like the fact that it has a slightly longish effective toptube from what I can tell. I'm big, at 6'3 200+ lbs, and wonder if the frame would be suitable. I'm going to try to see if there is one I can ride somewhere. I'm curious if anyone has had the opportunity yet?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Vendor

this is based on the Guru Photon RX that was starting to be made right when they filed bankruptcy.

It's an excellent frame. It's nicely made, great finish work and made in the states. I'm 6'3 and 200+ and was on a Guru and didn't have any issues with mine. You'll be fine with this. But it's gonna be super different than your Lynskey.

The Echo IS the RX. The Alfa has a slightly different seat cluster but the main tubes are the same as the RX

Last edited by sales guy; 04-09-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 PM

I built up a photon v.4 for my winter bike and rode it a few hundred miles at over 200lbs with no issues at all. It's got similar geometry to what this does. It performs well and held up fine through some bad weather with me on it. I don't think you'll have any issue with this one. It's a nice looking bike and should build up pretty light.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
this is based on the Guru Photon RX that was starting to be made right when they filed bankruptcy.

It's an excellent frame. It's nicely made, great finish work and made in the states. I'm 6'3 and 200+ and was on a Guru and didn't have any issues with mine. You'll be fine with this. But it's gonna be super different than your Lynskey.

The Echo IS the RX. The Alfa has a slightly different seat cluster but the main tubes are the same as the RX
I love my Lynskey. It is super stiff in the BB shell, and is far stiffer than the Litespeed Vortex it replaced. It really is a great bike and I'm considering just getting another. I've always loved the feel of Ti, and preferred the 6-4 Ti of the Vortex and Lynskey to 3-2.5 frames like Merlins and older Litespeeds I've ridden over the years.

I've never ridden a carbon bike of any kind. Hopefully, I can get on an allied bike to see what it feels like.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:35 AM

I have a Serotta Legend and am about your weight. Why would either of us consider anything else but our titanium frames? Yet I am interested in this frame also and I only have 2 bikes, the other is a used Waterford steel.