Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2015, 03:20 PM

OT: VW cheating emissions on TDI vehicles

It appears that the official vehicle of Paceliners everywhere is about to see a big fat recall. Allegedly, '09-15 TDI's have software that detects emissions testing and appears to make the cars seem to be cleaner than they actually run in the real world.

Autonews story here

(We own a 2010 TDI and I don't care if the EPA says there's demons in my engine they can't have my Sportwagen)
Old 09-18-2015, 03:41 PM

Saw that in the NYT today. What will the fix be? How will it affect our mileage?
Old 09-18-2015, 04:10 PM

Fines are dandy--especially combined with jail time for people who ordered and/or signed off on this fraud.

I wonder how owners can be forced to allow their cars to modified to be legal. It seems very likely that legal will mean decreased performance,economy or both.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Fines are dandy--especially combined with jail time for people who ordered and/or signed off on this fraud.

I wonder how owners can be forced to allow their cars to modified to be legal. It seems very likely that legal will mean decreased performance,economy or both.
I'll give it 90 days before a class-action lawsuit notice lands in our mailboxes
Old 09-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Incredible.

This could be a big deal for VW. What were they thinking.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM
kg

Argh! I just bought my first new car ever - a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI. I bought it specifically for the combination of fuel efficiency and performance. I wonder if I can return it? I doubt it, of course. But I don't want to give up on those qualities or pollute the air. What a pisser.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Lanterne rouge

Wait and see. Wait and see.

I teach diesel emissions and engine management systems for a major OEM. There is alot of technology there and its hard for the competition to figure out. This could all be an attempt by the competition to slow VW down. Euro6 emissions is tough too and they have no problem over there.

My theory is based on my information of what Navistar was accusing the competition of doing. The reality was the accuser was the one involved in the wrong doing. They (Navistar) just couldnt figure out the technology. In the end they ended up buying their exhaust aftertreatment systems from their competition (Cummins). Wait and see.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:32 PM

I had to serve on jury duty this week and I was amazed and interested as lawyers spun the webs and spun the facts.

VW can hire the best so this is far from an open and closed deal.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:33 PM

Just heard this on NPR quick reviews

Lame :/
Old 09-18-2015, 04:41 PM
not banished

Call me old fashion: but the VW wagon never got anywhere with me cause I'm 6'3" and, while the tall need a car - that car aint for me (the SAAB 95 wagon with a 4 cylinder engine and turbo and far roomier interior was a superior car - one of the best highway cars ever made). Also, 'turbo' and a hatchback was the original cheater: cars in Europe are taxed on weight and HP - hatchbacks give you more room, turbo gives you more speed without HP. Tesla is a hatchback for a reason.

I dig the VW, but that car can't fit tall people and, well, surprise, surprise.

Last edited by velomonkey; 09-18-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
I dig the VW, but that car can't fit tall people
i'm guessing you mean "tall people in the rear seats behind a tall person in the front"? i agree if there are 6 footers in the front, avg adults in the back might not be too happy with legroom. supposedly this has been helped with the new 2016 model year MQB platform.

i'm 6'5" and have no issues finding a comfortable driving position in the Sportwagen. considering decreased headroom with the panoramic moonroof, i still don't have the seat pushed all the way back...
Old 09-18-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavingould View Post
i'm guessing you mean "tall people in the rear seats behind a tall person in the front"? i agree if there are 6 footers in the front, avg adults in the back might not be too happy with legroom. supposedly this has been helped with the new 2016 model year MQB platform.

i'm 6'5" and have no issues finding a comfortable driving position in the Sportwagen. considering decreased headroom with the panoramic moonroof, i still don't have the seat pushed all the way back...
Me too - I'm 6'4" and if I put the seat all the way back I can't push the clutch all the way in. Lots of room for me.

dave
Old 09-19-2015, 04:49 AM
ergottWheels

I'm glad you two chimed in. I'm not tall at all, but know from cleaning my car that the seat goes way back on the rails. Sure you'll take out the knees of the person behind you, but I have the seat pretty far forward and even have the height up all the way.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
Call me old fashion: but the VW wagon never got anywhere with me cause I'm 6'3" and, while the tall need a car - that car aint for me (the SAAB 95 wagon with a 4 cylinder engine and turbo and far roomier interior was a superior car - one of the best highway cars ever made). Also, 'turbo' and a hatchback was the original cheater: cars in Europe are taxed on weight and HP - hatchbacks give you more room, turbo gives you more speed without HP. Tesla is a hatchback for a reason.

I dig the VW, but that car can't fit tall people and, well, surprise, surprise.
I'm 6'2" plus a bit. I find my VDub wagon fits my longer torso'd body better than some SUVS (Toyota 4Runner to be specific). No issues for me.

Specific to the thread at hand, if the original story is true, I have NO IDEA, how they can reduce emissions without a total recoding of the ECU, which would render the car materially different.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:38 PM
ergottWheels

I just had a recall this summer that involved a reflash of the brain. Wonder if that's related. I did the reflash at a dealer for free and didn't notice any difference. I keep track of my mileage and no difference there either.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads