Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2016, 11:31 AM

Giro shoe sole broke at toebox

Have you ever seen this before? I've had these for a couple of years. I wear them to ride and walk around a bit, never hiking or other abuse. These are actually a replacement pair from my last ones that broke exactly the same way but below the screws. The store swapped those ones no problem. I'll see if they do the same with these. Unfortunately, I don't have the receipt anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3696.jpg (52.9 KB, 245 views)
Old 08-28-2016, 03:13 PM

Stop mounting your cleats on the toe stud holes.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 AM

Giro customer service

I had a problem with a pair of Giro Republics awhile back. The top of the toe box collapsed painfully pinching my foot. I had the original box and packing but not the receipt, so I contacted Giro customer service explained my predicament about the receipt. I then sent the shoes to Giro who took several weeks to "inspect" them. After a few more weeks of emails back and forth, the rep then asked me for a receipt and around we went for another couple of weeks. The rep refused to issue a refund, replace the shoes or return the defective pair. At this point I wrote to the head of the business unit and the next day a supervisor apologized, sent me a replacement pair and gave me a discount coupon. He claimed it was a "teaching moment" for the customer service rep.

You might want to try involving someone higher up in the Giro food chain to begin your refund/return.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:24 PM

I'm currently on year 3 or so of some Giro Gauge MTB shoes. They're still holding up strong, but I use them only for road riding.

In general, I've found Giro's Customer Service to be top-notch. I've had a few accessories (gloves, in particular) fall apart on me, and they have always been quick to replace them, no questions asked. Even though your shoes are a few years old and presumably out of any warranty that other companies might have, I presume that Giro will most likely stand behind their stuff, and issue you a replacement or try to rectify somehow.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:51 PM

that's an interesting break point. i've got a pair of Giro Code and a pair of Gauge, no problems after a couple years. hope they take care of you.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:13 AM

After the break of the second pair, it's time to get the hint and try something else; these obviously have a design defect.

If you manage to get the second pair warrantied, then good for you. I would wear them, but seriously consider beginning your hunt for your next pair anyway.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Follow up.

I emailed Giro and they sent me a shipping label to mail in the broken shoes. I didn't hear anything back from them for several weeks. Then a couple of days ago a brand new pair showed up on my doorstep.

I was not expecting anything more than, at best, a discount for a replacement pair. It was surprising to see them replace a pair of shoes that are a couple of years old and I think they deserve kudos for that. The communication might have been a little better, e.g. an email to let me know that they decided it was defective and were going to replace it, but that is a tiny quibble considering how they took care of me.

So, cheers to Giro!

In the meantime, I had already bought a replacement pair, so look for a NIB pair of Privateers to show up in the Classifieds in a couple of days.