Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Classics Fan

Question How many more flats will I get if I move away from flat resistant tires?

After that Jan Heine podcast from last week, I'm seriously thinking of abandoning my current set up.

I currently ride Conti 4 Seasons (25 or 28) in the front, and Conti Gatorskins @ 28 in the rear.

I'm thinking about trying, based on that podcast, a set up with a more supple tire and latex tubes. (we're talking clinchers here)

My current set up is motivated primarily by my dislike of changing flats. More specifically, I value my time on the bike and don't like being inconvenienced.

I've had 1 (maybe 2, though it must have been close to home, because I didn't realize it until the tire was flat the next morning) flats in the last 5,000 miles. Acknowledging that there is a component of (bad) luck involved with these things, should I expect a noticeable increase in the frequency of flats?
Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 PM

Personally, I think flats are for the most part "luck of the draw".

I've done 1200K's on crap roads in lousy weather on tires that many people consider to be "flat magnets" (Vittoria Corsa's) and not had a single flat. I've ridden with people who are on what I consider to be absolutely crap tires from a ride quality point of view because they're "resistant to flats" (Conti Gatorskins, I'm looking at you) who've gotten lots of flats.

Choose tires that give you the ride quality you want.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Epic=No Smiles

None more.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:10 PM

I went from 4 seasons to 4000 sII without any negative effects. I've also had good luck with Michelin Pro4 Endurance as well.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have had few flats on big compass tires, 42s and 48s. I also have some gran bois tires, 26mm and they were great for a while but have not had luck with them in the past few rides.

I do think flats are luck of draw as well and i much prefer the ride of supple tires, that said I also trully belive that the larger size compass tires flat less than the thinner kind.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Lanterne rouge

I am in the "Luck of the draw" camp. I ride with a guy that sports Gatorskin Hardshells. He gets as many flats as I. Which is very few to none. I run Vittoria Corsas or Veloflex. He rides them at 110psi. I am at 80/85. He swears they are faster and more durable. While they may last longer the ride is horrid even on his Ti Guru. Like a frozen water hose.

Life is too short to ride crappy tires. I will take my chances and change the occasional flat.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:18 PM

All things being equal (miles, roads, riding style), you'll get more flats.

One data point: I rode Michelin Pro3's for a long time, then switched to Vittoria Open Corsa's (pretty much every clincher tire in the Corsa range). Flatted with regularity, maybe once a week, and I ride about 5-6K per year, so every 100-150 miles. Worse with the Corsa CX skinwall, really bad. Understand that I have a reasonably large vintage collection, so we're talking lots of tires.

Started switching to Vittoria Rubino Pro III's about 20 months ago and have not had a single flat on them. Not once, not on any bike, not in any conditions. I ride 25's usually but have even used the 28's to ride L'Eroica on gravel and will use 'em for Cino Heroica in Montana next month, also gravel. No flats. None. Zero. And while they are 150 TPI, so not as thin as the Corsa's, my impression is that the ride is every bit as sublime.

I'm also 65 and weigh right around 200, so ymmv.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:45 PM

Depends on your roads.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:15 PM

I only use supple tires. I averaged more than 5,000 mile per flat in the prior two or three years but this has been a bad year with my average closer to 2,000-2,500 miles. I ran latex tubes with sealant over that time period. I switched to tubeless this year for the most part and it has not gone well due to split casings four times. Not riding in the junk at the road edge especially at intersections helps prevent flats. Checking the tread after every ride and picking out glass also helps.

You say you ride 150-200 mile per week. Using my worst case flat scenario, you would be changing out a flat every 3-4 months. I can change a flat in under five minutes but usually take my time. Is the extra comfort and speed of supple/fast tires worth it?

Vibration has a much more insidious performance impact on very long rides although there have only been a couple of relatively poor studies on the topic. Changing a flat every now and then is a small price to pay for a comfy derriere.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I get about one flat every year or two. (Nearly all on Micheline Pro Race and Conti GP something or other).

I just carry a few insta-patches (that I typically don't use, they're there only if in the super-unlikely case that I would get two flats in the same ride) and a spare tube in my saddle pack and a Lezyne Road Drive compact pump in my jersey pocket. Around here I would not let flat frequency cause me to use a tire that doesn't have a nice feel.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:53 AM

If I had a choice between riding undersized armored tires and washing dishes, I would choose washing dishes because at least cleaning doesn't punish my soul.

Life begins with good tires.

Instagram
Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
After that Jan Heine podcast from last week, I'm seriously thinking of abandoning my current set up.

I currently ride Conti 4 Seasons (25 or 28) in the front, and Conti Gatorskins @ 28 in the rear.

I'm thinking about trying, based on that podcast, a set up with a more supple tire and latex tubes. (we're talking clinchers here)

My current set up is motivated primarily by my dislike of changing flats. More specifically, I value my time on the bike and don't like being inconvenienced.

I've had 1 (maybe 2, though it must have been close to home, because I didn't realize it until the tire was flat the next morning) flats in the last 5,000 miles. Acknowledging that there is a component of (bad) luck involved with these things, should I expect a noticeable increase in the frequency of flats?
Get Vittoria clinchers, 'maybe' latex tubes, put some Orange seal in them..go ride..use less air..don't hit potholes.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:20 AM

Life's too short. The tire is the most important thing; has biggest influence on the ride. I even use high quality, expensive, supple, "fragile-sidewall", etc. tires on tandem and for commuting and touring.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:07 AM

eleventy billion.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:22 AM

It depends where you live and ride. Here in AZ the goathead thorns will quickly end your ride if you go unprotected. I consider liners a must in order to stay on the road.