Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Ok, thanks everyone! On to spokes, what say you?
The ones in my picture above are 32/28. I'd have no issue going 28/24 to be honest but you might want to consult a builder with more experience than I have.

The ones pictured have Campagnolo Record hubs which are nice, but which some folks say results in less non-drive side tension than with a newer hub which helps to compensate for this a bit.

My next wheels will likely have White Industries hubs, which I'm told have slightly better flange geometry and allow for slightly more even tension between the left and right sides.

But so far it's not like my 32/28s are holding me back. They're nice wheels.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
What I have not read is which rim would be better for a large bro (asking for a friend). I am not really sure which qualities of the rim make for a better build for a large rider i.e. ability to tension spokes higher, shape, weight, ect.
It would help to know what "large" means in his context.

Personally, I've been riding Hed's "plus" rims since I first tried them. 25mm tires on these rims are just great. Smooth, rarely puncture, roll beautifully. Frame clearance being sufficient, of course.

With modern butted spokes, a 28 spoke 2-cross build should be able to support most people reliably. A builder would want a bit more information to make a recommendation. There are quite a few good wide rims on the market now.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:14 PM

I have been riding on HED Jet 6+ wheels for a little while now. These use the 25 mm Plus rims with a non-structural carbon fairing. Anyways, even with the 20/24 spoke factory build, they feel really solid under my 225 lbs. The wheels are still true as the day I first got them, and the roads around Atlanta are not the greatest.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Something to consider besides dimension is weight. Heavier rim, more reliable wheel, all else equal, for a big guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien View Post
32, 3x rear drive side. 2x or 3x non-drive and front. Brass nipples.

Spam or DT double-butted. Bladed if you feel like spending money.
At 290lbs. I can vouch for Velocity Fusion, A23 & Chukker. Stay away from Velocity Aerohead & Stans ZTR. 32 hole minimum, hand build, double butted in the front, strait gauge in the rear.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickR View Post
At 290lbs. I can vouch for Velocity Fusion, A23 & Chukker. Stay away from Velocity Aerohead & Stans ZTR. 32 hole minimum, hand build, double butted in the front, strait gauge in the rear.

I am a little smaller than you, my race weight is around 250lbs, but I am presently (and unfortunately since cross is a month away!) a bit heavier. I can say Stan's wheels (at least the grails) have been totally fine, mine were 3x in the back to DT hubs by a local pro builder.

Even when I was heavier, no rim of even moderate depth ever gave me problems in as far as structural integrity. HED, H-Plus, and Kinlin have all been used a lot in my wheel sets. I've even had 60mm carbon chinese wheels with no issues. As far as width, I don't really ride anything smaller than a 28mm. None of the rims listed above have ever been an issue with that.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Ok, thanks everyone! On to spokes, what say you?
Sapim Race or DT Comp, 3 cross all around and brass nipps..I recommend other Sapim SecureLock or the DT version..for those high dish rear wheels. For 32/36h, NO reason to anything other than 3 cross.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The ones in my picture above are 32/28. I'd have no issue going 28/24 to be honest but you might want to consult a builder with more experience than I have.

The ones pictured have Campagnolo Record hubs which are nice, but which some folks say results in less non-drive side tension than with a newer hub which helps to compensate for this a bit.

My next wheels will likely have White Industries hubs, which I'm told have slightly better flange geometry and allow for slightly more even tension between the left and right sides.

But so far it's not like my 32/28s are holding me back. They're nice wheels.
Shimano and DT hubs and most other 11s rear hubs have almost the same ctr to flange..1mm for WI..really makes no difference in a well designed and built wheel.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickR View Post
Would recommend against straight gauge spokes in general. They are more brittle than good butted pokes. Some have the impression that they are "stronger," but this is not the case when built into a wheel.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:40 AM

Oh, spokes. all my wheel sets have DT Comps. I don't use anything else. Not the lightest spoke but everything else I've tried, included every SAPIM doesn't work for me.

My disc rigs have four wheel sets they share, never broken a spoke. On that note...knocking on wood.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Shimano and DT hubs and most other 11s rear hubs have almost the same ctr to flange..1mm for WI..really makes no difference in a well designed and built wheel.
What about the larger drive side flanges on some hubs? Many wheel manufacturers use this technique.

Of course, offset rims are the best solution IMHO but at this time there are few, if any, options for truly wider (20+mm internal) rims with offset spoke holes.

I'd like to see a rim with offset drilling and even hubs and rims with a triplet lacing option. Fulcrum's wheels (Campagnolo-owned), at least at the upper end, all have triplet lacing and even tension on the drive and non-drive side.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:01 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Oh, spokes. all my wheel sets have DT Comps. I don't use anything else. Not the lightest spoke but everything else I've tried, included every SAPIM doesn't work for me.

My disc rigs have four wheel sets they share, never broken a spoke. On that note...knocking on wood.
Breaking spokes is more often a rim problem not a spoke problem. Problem with Sapim Race spokes? Dbl butt ala DT Comps.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
What about the larger drive side flanges on some hubs? Many wheel manufacturers use this technique.

Of course, offset rims are the best solution IMHO but at this time there are few, if any, options for truly wider (20+mm internal) rims with offset spoke holes.

I'd like to see a rim with offset drilling and even hubs and rims with a triplet lacing option. Fulcrum's wheels (Campagnolo-owned), at least at the upper end, all have triplet lacing and even tension on the drive and non-drive side.
Well Campag and DA are hi-lo, not a huge difference but larger flange doesn't do anything but make for shorter spokes. Offset rims are great but super wide rims make for issues with a lot of caliper brakes. Maybe when it is all disc world..oh boy. What would help also and maybe with disc world, is 135mm road spacing unless the industry continues down the path of daily changing axle standards.

But a non offset rim and 11s, 130mm, road hub makes a fine rear wheel if designed appropriately for the rider and his needs.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:13 PM
n - 1

Could be overkill, but Velocity Atlas may be an option. Heavy, but pretty stout. And wide.

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/atlas-622
Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 AM

Depending upon season, I'm anywhere between 200-220, and generally ride 32 or 36h in back and 32 or 28h up front. I build my 32 and 36h wheels 3x and the 28h 2x, all with 1415g DB spokes, from either DT or Sapim, and brass nipples.

I've lost a little love for Velocity after having a O/C Synergy crack at almost every eyelet, although that was after 3-4 years of heavy commuter abuse. I do have two Dyad (525g per rim) wheelsets in rotations, and if you can live with another 75g over the A23, I think it is a better rim for a bigger rider. Also 1mm wider than the A23.

Also a big fan of DT Swiss rims and have DT540's on two bikes. FWIW, the number portion of DT's rim designation is the mass in grams. Don't know if it is better quality control, but their rims build up straight, with very little radial runout, and even spoke tension. Going to try one of their budget rims (< $50), the R460 soon. Looks good on paper, but no experience yet.

FWIW, I only build wheels for myself.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 AM

I've weighed 215-225 while riding Archetypes with 24f/28r CX-Rays and brass nipples for the last year and a half on road and gravel. Have had absolutely zero problems. Rims are a little heavier than other options, but are super stout.