Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2016, 02:09 PM

Wide Aluminum Rim For Big Bros

I am starting to plan a 11 speed wheel build. I have read a lot about Pacenti SL23, Hed Belgium C2, and H+Son Archetype rims and the merits of each. What I have not read is which rim would be better for a large bro (asking for a friend). I am not really sure which qualities of the rim make for a better build for a large rider i.e. ability to tension spokes higher, shape, weight, ect.

Halp!
Old 08-27-2016, 02:20 PM

I'm a big believer that inner rim width is the key here. Be careful with rims that say they're 23mm wide or so but the inner width is compromised.

I have some Pacenti SL23s and the inner width is in the 20mm range. This spreads the tire out, reducing the 'light bulb effect' and allowing for much nicer handling and ride qualities. I'd be curious to know the actual increase in inner volume with a wider rim but it seems to make sense that there is some increase, allowing for slightly lower pressure to be used.

This is my opinion. I have no factual data to back that up, but it seems most people who try wider rims end up liking them.

I'd look for an inner width of 20mm or so.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:46 PM

Not sure what big guy means, but by way of example, I'm 6'3 and change, run about 215.

I went through exactly the same decisions a few years ago and settled on archetypes. I have heard bad things about Pacenti's back-end customer service, and HEDs, while nice, are very common around here and I like to be a little different. I actually went with the anodized grey H+ sons.

I love the way they look, and they have been solid over a few thousand miles. Because they are my wide alloy wheels, they see a lot of crap -- gravel, rain, etc. They've held up fine. Never needed truing, for example. I'd say the rim quality is better than Velocity, if not quite up to the bar set by HED or Ambrosio.

No issues at all under my weight and a heavier lugged steel bike.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:56 PM
extremely tall

C2/C2+, Archetype and Pacenti SL23 are all great rims. I've built many sets using all three for 200+ pound guys, and several sets for myself, and have never had trouble with any of them. If I had to pick one I'd probably pick the C2+.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:01 PM

I found this page useful when making the same decision, for myself I settled on some A23's after having positive experiences with Dyad's and Cliffhangers.

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/revie...y-rim-roundup/

oldpotatoe has a tempting A23 build offer in the classifieds for Campy.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:06 PM

Here's a picture I like. It illustrates a bit of how a tire will sit on some of the wider and narrower options.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:07 PM

Easton makes an alloy rim, R90 SL, in multiple drillings. It's 24mm wide and 27mm tall. I cracked a Pacenti SL23 V1 rear wheel. It was replaced with an Easton R90 SL, nice rim. A 25mm Michelin profiles around 28mm.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Easton makes an alloy rim, R90 SL, in multiple drillings. It's 24mm wide and 27mm tall. I cracked a Pacenti SL23 V1 rear wheel. It was replaced with an Easton R90 SL, nice rim. A 25mm Michelin profiles around 28mm.
I have heard of the V1 Pacentis having issues. I have a set on my Hampsten single speed and they've been good but I'd actually prefer the V2s on there. The bike has tons of clearance for bigger tires and the V2s spread them out a bit more. No cracking yet and the tires are easy to install. I've heard of people having a tough time installing tires on the V1s.

I'm enjoying the V2s and 23mm tires on my Pacenti steel frame at the moment. Very nice combo. Here's a pic I've linked a couple times. It shows a 23 (not everyone's cup of tea) on the V2 Pacenti SL23.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Proud Grandpa

Something to consider besides dimension is weight. Heavier rim, more reliable wheel, all else equal, for a big guy.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:27 PM

Hed Belgium. Call it a day.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I have heard of the V1 Pacentis having issues. I have a set on my Hampsten single speed and they've been good but I'd actually prefer the V2s on there. The bike has tons of clearance for bigger tires and the V2s spread them out a bit more. No cracking yet and the tires are easy to install. I've heard of people having a tough time installing tires on the V1s.

I'm enjoying the V2s and 23mm tires on my Pacenti steel frame at the moment. Very nice combo. Here's a pic I've linked a couple times. It shows a 23 (not everyone's cup of tea) on the V2 Pacenti SL23.

RT Wheelcraft built my wheels. He wasn't overly shocked when I contacted him with a cracked rim. Mine was the last one he built without washers. He rebuilt the rear with an Easton for his cost for the rim. I was in his workshop about a month ago and he checked the spoke tension on the front wheel (still SL23 V1) with the tire off. Afterwards, he was telling me what the best kind of tire tool to use on Pacenti V1's. I impressed him by mounting a Pro4 using my thumbs. It's all in the technique.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by seric View Post
I found this page useful when making the same decision, for myself I settled on some A23's after having positive experiences with Dyad's and Cliffhangers.

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/revie...y-rim-roundup/

oldpotatoe has a tempting A23 build offer in the classifieds for Campy.
Do it! Only one set at this price.....
Old 08-27-2016, 07:04 PM

Ok, thanks everyone! On to spokes, what say you?
Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Ok, thanks everyone! On to spokes, what say you?
32, 3x rear drive side. 2x or 3x non-drive and front. Brass nipples.

Spam or DT double-butted. Bladed if you feel like spending money.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:16 PM

How heavy could the rim be? If you are willing to go over 500g, that brings some of the rando 17mm internal width rims into consideration. Things like a Mavic A319 or Exal LX 17 are much cheaper than many of the other rims people have mentioned, and they are very durable. (I still have a hard time accepting that some rims cost more than $100!)