Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 PM

My biggest question is what do say to the counter agent when they ask what's in the bag? Do you invoke your 5th amendment rights?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
My biggest question is what do say to the counter agent when they ask what's in the bag? Do you invoke your 5th amendment rights?
"trade show display"
Old 08-27-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
It's funny though that they don't give out the dimensions of the bag.
That's because they make them to order, and will vary sizing based on bike size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
I too am having difficulty seeing how everything would fit including wheels, bars, etc.
You remove the fork. The center compartment is divided into three spaces by some high-density padding. The wheels go on each side (there's some thick plasticy stuff sewn in there to protect the wheels, to complement the padding). The frame goes in the middle with the rear dropouts in one corner of the sort of leaf-shaped bag, and the headtube up at the other corner. There's a pocket for the fork along the padded central spine, and the handlebars get tucked around the top tube. When it's all said and done, there's a bit of space under the downtube for clothes, space in the rear triangle for a helmet or shoes.

The thing is that it all gets zipped up/strapped up pretty tightly. It is not a loose case - zipping it up is the final compression that holds everything together (and thus keeps it safe).

As for what the counter agent says - depends on the airline. Some places charge a fee if it's a bike, no matter what. I avoid those airlines. I've had a few counter agents say, "Oh neat is that a bike bag?" and if I know that they have a sensible policy (ie, only charge if oversize and overweight), I just say "yup!"

But sometimes I've had to call it art supplies or some ****. Whatever. Trade show supplies. Art supplies. Work material. Just say anything as long as you sound bored.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
"trade show display"
And then what do you do when the agent asks you to open the bag?

It's a good idea in theory but in my experience you're occasionally going to run into an agent at the counter who's going to call you out and then make your life difficult. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Not a bike. But bike parts. Or as a member here once relayed a story: he told the agent it was an assistive mobility device (the general term for a wheelchair or walker). It helped that he happened to have sprained an ankle and was walking with a limp!
Old 08-28-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
Not a bike. But bike parts. Or as a member here once relayed a story: he told the agent it was an assistive mobility device (the general term for a wheelchair or walker). It helped that he happened to have sprained an ankle and was walking with a limp!
This is the term that Brompton users use for getting your carry on through.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 AM

Ruster Hen House

I have a Ruster Hen House. The padded one. It requires removal of the fork, but avoids chopping a frame for S&S couplers. Wheels go in a second bag. I ride a 60cm frame and it all fits. Never been charged a bike fee. When asked what's in the bag, I say 'bicycle parts'. They're good with that answer.

http://rustersports.com/product/hen-house/
Old 08-28-2016, 09:44 AM

Doesn't matter what's in the bag as long as it's under weight and size limits. That said, the majority of counter agents (that I've dealt with) don't seem to understand their company's published policy on "sporting equipment".

Anyone should be able to say "bicycle" and if it's under size/weight you just pay standard bag charge. That said, be prepared to ask to speak with a supervisor and have them call corporate for clarification if necessary.

The bicycle classification is designed as a "break" (if you call it that) so you don't pay oversize AND overweight premiums (up to a max limit on both even if it is a bicycle). I've had counter agents try to charge both premiums until I demanded someone get involved who could properly interpret the company's published policy.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Doesn't matter what's in the bag as long as it's under weight and size limits. That said, the majority of counter agents (that I've dealt with) don't seem to understand their company's published policy on "sporting equipment".

Anyone should be able to say "bicycle" and if it's under size/weight you just pay standard bag charge. That said, be prepared to ask to speak with a supervisor and have them call corporate for clarification if necessary.

The bicycle classification is designed as a "break" (if you call it that) so you don't pay oversize AND overweight premiums (up to a max limit on both even if it is a bicycle). I've had counter agents try to charge both premiums until I demanded someone get involved who could properly interpret the company's published policy.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM

Since it appears I am in the market for a bag for my wife's bikes - is this deemed superior to either the EVOC or Pika bags???
Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Since it appears I am in the market for a bag for my wife's bikes - is this deemed superior to either the EVOC or Pika bags???
It's a lot smaller, which lets you avoid oversize fees.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
It's a lot smaller, which lets you avoid oversize fees.
I guess given that my wife's bike is a 50 it would be a LOT smaller.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
I guess given that my wife's bike is a 50 it would be a LOT smaller.
my wife and i have 50cm and 54cm bikes. the bags are the same size - and it's actually a little bit easier to pack the 54cm bike, because there's more cable/housing connecting the frame to the handlebars - which give the handlebars a few more options about where to go (and how to be angled) in the bag.

either way it'll be fine.