Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 05:40 AM

It might take a little experimentation

I'm with you in trying to buy the "right" tier as my first purchase.

I didn't lean on a retail outlet, but did a good bit of searching and reading and ended up with an Edwin Jagger DE89 ~ a razor that had a good reputation (as well as a nice EJ badge brush, the CO Bigelow shaving cream mentioned above and an alum bar + Lucky Tiger after shave ~ low on scent and not alcohol based, which I read can cause irritation).
All was well with the world and I considered technique, time and how wet/lathered my face was as the contributing factor to various nicks and irritations. Then I got a Merkur from someone here in a previous shaving thread and it works MUCH better for me.
My point is that some folks like the profile of the EJ while others like the Merkur. Same will be true of blades.
So be prepared to do a little experimenting before you find the combination that's right for you.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:12 AM

I made the switch a few years ago after getting fed up with the prices of cartridges. After a sampler pack, then a pack of feathers, I found the blades I seem to like best and they're $9 for 100 (ordered in May 2015, and not even half gone yet):

And an Edwin Jagger razor:

Combined with a family hand-me-down badger brush.

I still keep a cartridge around for the mornings when I'm in a big hurry, but seldom use it.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:45 AM

I've been using a DE razor for a few years now and will never go back. It is so much cheaper and (IMO) a better shave.

I've only used Derby Extra blades and couldn't be happier. It's $13 for 200 blades. I use each blade 4 times (twice per side), so around a week per blade. That means I can shave for 4 years for $13. That's pretty hard to beat.

I will say, though, that I haven't had success using the DE razor on my legs. I tried it once and it was a murder scene. For now, I just use the Target brand 4-blade cartridge razors. They don't clog like the expensive Schick razors and seem to last forever. I highly recommend them.

For shave cream, I find that if I shave in the shower, I can use just about anything. Bar soap, shave soap, whatever. If I shave otherwise, it needs to be some decent shave cream or it's fairly uncomfortable.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 AM

Don't buy new, buy vintage! Click here. I was fortunate enough to have inherited from Gillette Slim Adjustables from my father, and think they are great. Zillions are available on ebay at that link.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 AM
Epic=No Smiles

One thing that's getting a little short shrift here is that to get a really great shave with a DE razor, you're going to make a couple passes. Even to get a 95% shave with a single pass, you're going to touch up a few areas, so while I think DE's give a more comfortable, closer shave, I think we should also note that it takes anywhere from 5 minutes more to twice as long as a cartridge shave. Worth it, in my mind, but just a note.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
And an Edwin Jagger razor:

Combined with a family hand-me-down badger brush.
Two EJ's, Astra blades, and two used Badger brushes work great for me. I do use a scuttle from DirtyBird pottery to warm up the lather for my face. In the winter, it's oh so nice!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:20 PM

Bumping this up. As noted a few posts up I was using the Edwin Jagger, my cleaning person knocked it off the shelf in the shower and the screw broke off the top piece inside the handle. I was able to super glue it and get a few more weeks out of it, but now it's really dead after it slipped out of my hand again earlier this week.

So, looking to replace, and looking on Amazon, seems to be pretty common for the Jaggers to break similarly for LOTS of people. Wondering if something with better metal construction would last better. The $150 Feather stainless is super sexy but might a little rich for my blood (https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Stain...tainless+razor)

That said, happy to spend more than the $20-$30 that the Merkurs and Jaggers cost.

Found the Above the Tie site, and they make some really nice ones for even more money and some awesome modern looking CNC alu ones for just south of $100: https://www.abovethetie.com/collecti...m-safety-razor

So - any recommendations for these, ones or others I'm missing?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Antique stores. A sweet vintage razor is $5-20 and works the exact same. The thrill of the hunt adds to the joy. Shaving sucks enough already, might as well have some fun with it.

I have a Merkur from amazon and my wife has a vintage Gillette. Hers is much nicer and was half the price.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
So - any recommendations for these, ones or others I'm missing?
I have three razors:

(1) A Merkur 23C - long handle DE. It's non-adjustable, not very aggressive, and performs best with very sharp blades - ideally Feather. Very sturdy, simple construction, lasts forever. Extremely simple to use; hard to cut oneself. Does not cut well with worn razor blades.

(2) A 1971 Gillette Super Adjustable - "Black Beauty" It's adjustable, not very aggressive in settings 1-4 and performs well with sharper and less sharp blades - Feather, Astra, Wilkinson Sword all ok. Cool, but feels a bit delicate. I really like it for my face.

(3) A Merkur Futur in matte. It's adjustable, quite aggressive even on settings 1 and 2, but performs well with almost all blades. The head is very heavy and it requires a deft touch and good technique - not a razor for beginners. That said, it provides the best one-pass shave I have experienced, and is by far the best razor I own for head shaving.

All are worth a look.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

here in Canada

Have yet to find better prices (CDN) and variety.

great people to deal with

https://www.fendrihan.ca/
Old 06-06-2017, 01:55 PM

Air travel with a DE / "Safety" razor?..

What about air travel?..

I've switched to the "safety" / double-edge razor years ago. Sure, it takes a few minutes longer, but with proper shave soap before and a pass with an alum block after, skin irritation has much reduced over the traditional cartridge razors.

However, I am uncertain whether I can bring this type of razor with me on domestic or international flights. Anyone know for sure?..
Old 06-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Administrator

How many of you shave your head with a DE? I'm happy to give it a go on my mug, but I don't know about trying it on my head?

William
Old 06-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Bit the $96 bullet and decided to give the CNC one from above the tie a go: https://www.abovethetie.com/collecti...m-safety-razor

Will report back in a week.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:02 PM

Want to go pro? Check www.badgerandblade.com -- this is THE forum on shaving and fine razors. You'll find oodles of recommendations there on a couple dozen stores and websites for antique razors, modern ones, the very best blades, and on and on. You thought you could debate tubulars for a whole rainy day? Try double edge razors.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:05 PM

And there's a great thread across the hall on shaving, with some superb recommendations and sources.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...hlight=shaving