Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 PM

Add the right shave cream, too

Recommended in a thread from across the hall a number of years back.

Real good stuff and a bargain when you consider how long it lasts (I get better than 6 months out of the $10 tube...applied with a good brush).
Old 08-23-2016, 08:23 PM

If you store your razor in a light oil (baby oil/mineral oil), they are supposed to stay sharp longer. I read it somewhere that the lack if lubrication on the blade is what makes them dull.
I've considered a safety razor before, but go thru razors so infrequently it hasn't seemed worth it. Do you have to use soap/cream with the safety razor? I usually just shave with water, or occasionally dry if I'm in a hurry.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:27 PM

I got fed up with the $$ for Gillette blades among others a few years ago and went the DE route..... and haven't looked back. Merkur all the way, a good badger brush and now happily enjoying shaving again. Great smooth shave and VERY satisfying...... almost therapeutic if that makes any sense. Love it!!!
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
If you store your razor in a light oil (baby oil/mineral oil), they are supposed to stay sharp longer. I read it somewhere that the lack if lubrication on the blade is what makes them dull.
I've considered a safety razor before, but go thru razors so infrequently it hasn't seemed worth it. Do you have to use soap/cream with the safety razor? I usually just shave with water, or occasionally dry if I'm in a hurry.
Soap or cream is nessary with a DE. Shave dry and you will regret it.

^^^ A proper lather will give you both 'cushion and glide' - very tangible things that assist shave comfort and quality immensely. Different creams or soaps provide this. Water or dry give you neither and promote ingrown hairs. Yow!

Last edited by OtayBW; 08-23-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
Recommended in a thread from across the hall a number of years back.

Real good stuff and a bargain when you consider how long it lasts (I get better than 6 months out of the $10 tube...applied with a good brush).
What is it?
I have been on Art of Shaving for a long while. While I really like it I may try something new. I like Proraso too. A small tub lasts long enough Incant remember when I bought it.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 PM

Agree w/most here. Moved to a DE a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. +100 on the Bigelow shave cream (same cream a Prorasa, both available on Amazon). I use the Prorasa pre-shave cream as well and that seems to help too.

I've ended up with Super Iridium blades after trying out a number of different brands. Change blades weekly (or a bit more often) with a heavy beard.

Still use 3-blade disposables on my legs just for convenience.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I keep my DE razors in a small jar or rubbing alcohol, but baby oil does the same thing. It’s not the lack of lubrication, it’s the microscopic “rust” that can form that makes them dull. So keeping them in a liquid keeps the oxidizing away.

or so I’ve heard. been doing it for years now.

I use Feather DE blades form Japan. Pre-shave oil, brush w/ shaving soap, after shave after. I wish i tried a DE years ago. I’m never going back to cartridges.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:22 PM

Yes, what lots of the above posters said. Having switched some time ago, I would call switching a no-brainer.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:47 PM

Gillette's near monopoly on the razor market is absurd (Gillette is suing Schick's MFG again) and it's insane what market has got people paying for razors. I used a Murker DE razor with Astra blades and couldn't be happier. Much easier to edge my beard, and replacing the blades frequently is much easier on the wallet and skin with my thick growth. I use J.M. Fraser's cream and a nice alum block after. Sometimes a moisturizing aftershave too. Couldn't imagine a better shave.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I tried that. All it did was make it oily.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 PM

2 Blade Disposable

Gillette Sensor 2 Plus Disposable works for me with body lotion for shave creme.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
What is it?
I have been on Art of Shaving for a long while. While I really like it I may try something new. I like Proraso too. A small tub lasts long enough Incant remember when I bought it.
That is CO Bigelow, which is actually just Proraso in different packaging.

I started shaving with a double edged safety razor almost 10 years ago for my heavy beard and sensitive skin, and never looked back.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:01 PM
Princess Sweat

I don't have a lot of facial hair but I always got ingrown hairs + zits after a shave -- no matter how new the blade was, what shaving cream I used, applied with a brush, after shave, etc.

An ex bought me a Merkur Futur razor and a pack of 20 blades. I have not had an ingrown hair or zit since.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:16 AM

Lots of good comments on safety razors. So Im gonna join the club.
Im gonna contact west coast shaving and get a few recommendations from them.
So many options out there tho. 2 or 3 piece razors,blades,pre and post shave ect.
I of the camp that I like to buy the best I can afford the first time so I only have to buy it once.
They seem like the folks to go to for the best info so I will be sending them an email and go from there.
Thanks for all the positive feedback and I will be joining he club soon.