Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 05:49 PM

OT: Double edge razor or cartridge style

With the price of cartridge these days I am thinking about going to a double edge razor. I shave every other day and have heavy thick whiskers.
Is a double edge worth trying? Is the shave better or closer?
I go through 2 cartridges a week so just weighing my options.
I would like to hear some opinions on the double edge razors.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 PM

Yes!

Buy a safety razor.

Read this - http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/...ty-razors.html

I've been using one for 20 years now.

A bit of trial and error but lots of good info out there.

This is what I meant to link to - http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/...et-shaver.html

Last edited by charliedid; 08-23-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:02 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Single bladed wet shaving leaves me with far fewer razor bumps. Maybe a marginally less close shave, but I can't tell. Far less redness and irritation. Who needs five blades.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:19 PM

I switched a few years ago to double edged blades because I'm cheap. I ended up buying the variety pack of blades on Amazon since blade selection seems so personal. The blades that seem to be most highly recommended (Feather, Merkur etc.) didn't work so well for me and I settled on Gillette Silver Blue blades which is good because I got 100 of them for $14.
Techniques is important, to begin with I looked like I'd been caressed by Freddy Kruger but now I probably loose way less than a pint of blood per week.
I reckon by retirement I'll have saved around $2,987,000 compared to the price of the 5 bladed Gillette wonder cartridges with vibrating lubricating strips, adjusted for inflation or the cost of a pair of Lightweight wheels.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Epic=No Smiles

I have a thick, fast-growing beard and I've been using DE razors for the last ten years. It's lots cheaper (I get Feather blades from Amazon. 100 blades lasts me just short of two years and costs $24.)

Get a Merkur or Edwin Jagger razor ($50), cheap brush ($20) and some soap and go to town. There's all sorts of shaving forums but there is no need to go all in. A synthetic brush and some shaving soap or cream from Proraso or Art of Shaving or Tabac (or whatever you're using now) and go for it. The key is to take short short short strokes, always with the grain first, and let the weight of the razor to the work. Do not push.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:39 PM

Safety razor for my face, but expensive-many-blade cartridge for my legs.

Safety razor doesn't clog with my thick whiskers, can shave very clean and precise lines when I care about them, looks cool, and is super cheap. Feather blades were almost too sharp for me, though; I like Wilkinson Sword blades better. These days I've been wearing a beard (not pro, I know) so it gets most of its mileage on my neck.

Expensive multi-blade cartridges work way better for my legs, though, and last long enough I'm not nearly as worried about the expense.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:39 PM

I get much less irritation using a Bakelite Slant with Astra blades than I ever could manage with cartridge razors. As others have mentioned, it's important to try a sampling of blades to find what works for you. For soap, I'm a fan of Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap. Jojoba Oil also works well, and is what I use in lieu of soap when bearded.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Yes!

Buy a safety razor.

Read this - http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/...ty-razors.html

I've been using one for 20 years now.

A bit of trial and error but lots of good info out there.

This is what I meant to link to - http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/...et-shaver.html
What he said. Get a sample pack of blades, see what you like, buy lots, save big bucks over time. Oh, and get the best shave you ever had (unless you went to an old barber shop somewhere & got the REAL DEAL). I'll add http://www.badgerandblade.com/ as a place to go for info. It's here, but for sharp stuff. Complete with classifieds!

Last edited by makoti; 08-23-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutterman View Post
Safety razor for my face, but expensive-many-blade cartridge for my legs.

Safety razor doesn't clog with my thick whiskers, can shave very clean and precise lines when I care about them, looks cool, and is super cheap. Feather blades were almost too sharp for me, though; I like Wilkinson Sword blades better. These days I've been wearing a beard (not pro, I know) so it gets most of its mileage on my neck.

Expensive multi-blade cartridges work way better for my legs, though, and last long enough I'm not nearly as worried about the expense.
Double edge face & legs. Very smooth!
Old 08-23-2016, 07:00 PM

I've been a Braun electric user for years. I did the math once when I was getting nostalgic and the electric ended up cheaper in the long run than the cartridges.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:13 PM
Lanterne rouge

I had face problems for years. Switched to a DE and never looked back. I am still ugly but have way better skin. Never using cartridge razors again. Never.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Shifty Member

I do double edge when I have the time and have a norelco for when I don't. Still way cheaper with a better shave than cartridge. Have wicked sensitive skin too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
I do double edge when I have the time and have a norelco for when I don't. Still way cheaper with a better shave than cartridge. Have wicked sensitive skin too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
+1 for DE razors.
the only thing that I've tried that I liked better was a straight razor. easier than you'd think to not cut yourself, but I couldn't figure out how to keep a good edge on it.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 PM

I got a double edge razor because I am cheap. I love it, I wouldn't go back to cartridge. Amazon is a great place to get the razor and the blades. I found the reviews to be helpful.

When ever I run out of the blades that I have I am going to try a variety pack. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 08:02 PM

I feel kind of required to say this at this point, but........learn how to use a straight and get the best shave of your life. Thank-you....