Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 AM

UPDATE Boston area folks: The Next Tour on July 16th

The Rides and Events section of the Paceline doesn't seem to get all that much attention, so I wanted to post a little plug here for a ride that Ti Designs and I will be leading Saturday, July 16th..

This will be the ninth installment of what we call The Next Tour. We're hoping to build something that's a little different than just your average group ride. In one fell swoop. we'd like to start to build community, show people the under-appreciated roads west and north of Boston, and inspire folks to go out and learn to be stronger riders. No problem, right?

You can find the details here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=189306 and on Page 8 of this thread.

Last edited by leftyfreak; 07-10-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:54 PM

Just a quick update.

Turns out that Ti Designs is being called upon to do a shift at the bike shop, so we need to start and end earlier than initially planned.

We're going to make 7am our start time. Check the original thread for more details.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 PM

The weather predictions are improving, so hopefully we'll be able to make this ride happen!

Given Ti Designs' schedule limitations, we're probably going to end up at 60 miles, not 70. We'll meet at Bedford Depot at 7am and should return at 11am or shortly thereafter, with a baked goods stop thrown in.

Join us!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Shifty Member

Wish I could join you, but have too much going on that day.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
Wish I could join you, but have too much going on that day.
No worries. Maybe next time!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM

In case it's not clear from the edited original post in this thread, Ti Designs and I are leading the second installment of his Next Tour on Sunday, August 28th at 7:00am.

All the details are here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=189306

Come and join us!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Thus far we have three confirmed going. Kristen, who joined us last time for the ride out to NH, Meghan (my girlfriend) who shifted her work schedule around to make this, and Anja, who will be getting back from Germany and getting on her bike.

Can you tell I'm trying to get people to go on this ride???

OK, let's try this: It's clearly the best value in an organized group ride you'll ever find. First there's the entry fee - nothing!!! Then there's the dollar/calorie ratio that you can find at the baked goods stop. If that's not enough, there's the strange phenomenon where bikes actually get cleaner while riding on the roads in and around Harvard MA, tires recover their original tread depth and chains return to new condition.

Only the people who go on this ride can tell me I'm wrong - what's that worth to you???
Old 08-21-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Thus far we have three confirmed going. Kristen, who joined us last time for the ride out to NH, Meghan (my girlfriend) who shifted her work schedule around to make this, and Anja, who will be getting back from Germany and getting on her bike.

Can you tell I'm trying to get people to go on this ride???

OK, let's try this: It's clearly the best value in an organized group ride you'll ever find. First there's the entry fee - nothing!!! Then there's the dollar/calorie ratio that you can find at the baked goods stop. If that's not enough, there's the strange phenomenon where bikes actually get cleaner while riding on the roads in and around Harvard MA, tires recover their original tread depth and chains return to new condition.

Only the people who go on this ride can tell me I'm wrong - what's that worth to you???
We're hoping to have forum member OldCrank join us as well!

Let us know if you'd like to be part of the ride--the more the merrier!
Old 08-21-2016, 05:54 PM

Ahhh, yer killin' me! I moved away from Boston decades ago but I still miss the riding there. Folks, you should go if you're able -- it's beautiful out there.

Does NEBC still do the weekly Concord-Chelmsford time trial? Dunno if that's part of your planned route, but it oughtta be. It just gets nicer and nicer the farther out in that direction you go.

Are you going to post your route here? I'll get all nostalgic.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
Ahhh, yer killin' me! I moved away from Boston decades ago but I still miss the riding there. Folks, you should go if you're able -- it's beautiful out there.

Does NEBC still do the weekly Concord-Chelmsford time trial? Dunno if that's part of your planned route, but it oughtta be. It just gets nicer and nicer the farther out in that direction you go.

Are you going to post your route here? I'll get all nostalgic.
Per Ti Designs' wishes, the route is top secret--if I'm the only one who knows the route, then the group will be forced to stay together! In general though, we're going to head through Concord past the North Bridge on our way to Strawberry Hill. From there, most people get to Harvard by riding to the Littleton depot and then going up Oak Hill, so we're going to do something different by threading our way to S. Acton and Boxborough. There's a gorgeous farm/orchard (old frog pond farm) on the Boxborough/Harvard line and from there we'll head to Bolton and then back to Harvard. On the way back to Bedford, we'll likely snake through Boxborough and Acton to some portion of Nagog Hill on the way to some lesser known roads in Carlisle before returning to Bedford.

My goal for the ride is to find as many roads wth "Hill" in their names as possible! Well, that and to show folks some of the nicest roads in the area that they've probably never ridden on. And fresh baked goods...

Once we've actually done the ride, I'll try to remember to post the route we took, since at this point it's not set in stone.

With respect to the NEBC time trial, I believe it still happens. We will touch portions of the route, though I'm aiming to stick mostly to even smaller roads. It should be fun!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:39 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfreak View Post
Per Ti Designs' wishes, the route is top secret--if I'm the only one who knows the route, then the group will be forced to stay together!
When I first moved to the Boston area there were rides lead by by individuals who seemed to know all of the roads. Those were great rides on great roads, I miss those days. Now everybody has GPS or is on Strava, group rides fall apart as there's no reason to stick together. There are some organized rides that attempt to stick together, but they apply rules which take all of the fun out of riding. I wanted to return to the fun rides of yesterday, so ride 'yer bike, follow the leader...
Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 PM

I'm thinking seriously about blowing off my Saturday club ride in western MA so that I can do this ride. Makes no sense. Get up at o'dark 30 to drive closer to traffic Armageddon. But I guess that's what intrigues me. I used to live out that way and I'm moving back sometime soon so ***. Plus I get Ed to tell me how my fit sucks and I don't pedal in proper circles
Old 08-25-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I'm thinking seriously about blowing off my Saturday club ride in western MA so that I can do this ride. Makes no sense. Get up at o'dark 30 to drive closer to traffic Armageddon. But I guess that's what intrigues me. I used to live out that way and I'm moving back sometime soon so ***. Plus I get Ed to tell me how my fit sucks and I don't pedal in proper circles
The fact that it makes no sense is exactly why you should join us!

And you clearly need some pedaling re-education, since it's not about pedaling proper circles, but actually about learning how to be a sack of potatoes (some of the time)!

If you think you're going to make it, send me a PM so we know to look for you. I can also give you my contact info so you can get in touch with me, if need be, on your way to Bedford from the Happy Valley. Do you need directions to the Bedford Depot, or are you good?

Hope to see you on Sunday!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:00 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I'm thinking seriously about blowing off my Saturday club ride in western MA so that I can do this ride. Makes no sense. Get up at o'dark 30 to drive closer to traffic Armageddon. But I guess that's what intrigues me.
Perhaps we can make it worth the trip. I'll have to do one of your club rides, working for you the whole time. What's it worth to have a lead-out man who has a 56x11 and knows how to turn it?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:59 PM

PM sent. I'm in.