Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2016, 02:01 PM

My current "project" is a '93 GT Xizang. I have wanted one since I bought my first mountain bike in '92, and I finally was able to recently acquire one.

It was a bit neglected when I got it, and I promptly tore it all down, refinished the frame in a bright brushed finish, and applied a full set of reproduction decals. Turned out fantastic.

It's going to be built up with mostly contemporary components, wherever possible. Should be light and stealthy, and freak out all of the kids with their 6" travel full suspension 29ers.

Here's what she looked like when I found her... dry rotted, covered in dried paint splatters, neglected and forgotten:

Last edited by purpurite; 08-27-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
My current "project" is a '93 GT Xizang. I have wanted one since I bought my first mountain bike in '92, and I finally was able to recently acquire one.

It was a bit neglected when I got it, and I promptly tore it all down, refinished the frame in a bright brushed finish, and applied a full set of reproduction decals. Turned out fantastic.

It's going to be built up with mostly contemporary components, wherever possible. Should be light and stealthy, and freak out all of the kids with their 6" travel full suspension 29ers.

Here's what she looked like when I found her... dry rotted, covered in dried paint splatters, neglected and forgotten:
Sweet.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:27 PM

Love that Xizang.

I've got this Tachyon waiting to be finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.5 KB, 274 views)
Old 08-27-2016, 04:36 PM

This thread needs more purple anodized parts!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
1997 GT Zaskar fun as all get out and ride.

Bob, are those tires Maxxis Holy Rollers or Creepy Crawlers?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
Bob, are those tires Maxxis Holy Rollers or Creepy Crawlers?
Holy Rollers, love'M. Handles most anything well except mud. Since most of my rides are both pavement and dirt trial ( GG Park, Presidio, Marin Headlands) these work out great though I wouldn't hesitate to use them for commuting.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:44 PM

Of all the bikes I've owned, this is the only one I've kept that's over 20 yrs old...how odd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1930.jpg (121.5 KB, 255 views)
Old 08-27-2016, 05:48 PM

[QUOTE=upon3;2034131]My current "project" is a '93 GT Xizang. I have wanted one since I bought my first mountain bike in '92, and I finally was able to recently acquire one.

Well done,great bikes,yours is particularly nice.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
Holy Rollers, love'M. Handles most anything well except mud. Since most of my rides are both pavement and dirt trial ( GG Park, Presidio, Marin Headlands) these work out great though I wouldn't hesitate to use them for commuting.
Cool. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upon3 View Post

Wow! That is a beautiful bike! How long did it take you to refinish? Scotchbrite?

Given the year and the distinctive bullet stays, my bet that it was built by Litespeed for GT. I would love to get my hands one of those.

Old MTB's are just plain fun to restore / mod and use for bombers. A number have gone through my hands, with several ending up in Thailand.

I still have a mid 90's Litespeed made (may be an Obed), note the bullet stays, and a mid 90's Titanium Red made out of surplus MIGs. The Red is set up as a bomber SS. The seat is flat, but the rear wheel raised in the photo. I recently sold a 1989 Fisher Procaliber to a guy who actually welded these frames for Fisher.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Wow! That is a beautiful bike! How long did it take you to refinish? Scotchbrite?
Yeah, 3M ScotchBride pads (tried both red and green—green was a finer shine), cut into 2" x 10" strips, then "shoeshined" perpendicular to the tubing.

The original Xizang frames from GT were all hand polished, so I started to restore the polished frame. After about an hour of polishing, I realized how useless that was to me for a finish that I didn't even really like. So I went with a finish similar to the old Merlins, which I love.

The whole refinishing process took about 3 hours for me over a few evenings in the shop, maybe a little longer.

Here's what it looked like before I started on refinishing it...

Old 08-28-2016, 01:08 PM

Again, nice job!

Are those Fat Boys in the background?
Old 08-28-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Are those Fat Boys in the background?

Yup! Old trainer and urban assault MTB tires.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:02 PM

I wish they were still being made.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:50 PM

Hey guys! Pretty new to the site, been lurking for a couple of months. This is my Serotta TiMax (pretty sure it's around a 2000 or so). Sorry for the bad quality and lighting, it's getting dark so I had to take some photos indoors