Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 AM

Prescription cycling sunglasses for high astigmatism

I called SportRx to get an idea of what type of glasses would work out for me with my high astigmatism.
They could only recommend the Oaklay Mainlnk and Crosslink which don't really appeal to me and my local optometrist can get those for me. Was hoping more for a shield type of glasses.
I currently wear Rudy Project Rydons.
I have the clip on Rx insert but it's not comfy. I'm also tired of putting on contacts.
My prescription requires a flatter lens. The Rydons had to be "flattened" a bit when I first got them cuz the curvature resulted in some distortion. Not perfect but it does the job.

Wondering what has worked for others with high astigmatism.

For those that understand it, here's my Rx
Sphere Cyl Axis
OD -4.50 -2.50 003
ID -4.25 -3.50 002
Old 08-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Try contacting Sports Optical in Denver (different from Sport Rx)

They may have some more options.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:55 PM

My son's rx is similar to yours. One of the Oakley frames that worked for him was the Frogskin. The flatter profile of the frame allowed a stronger rx compared to the models with more wrap.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Try contacting Sports Optical in Denver (different from Sport Rx)
+1

I have a very high - prescription (way higher than the OP, so it was a different situation) and they did a great job. I'd definitely recommend them.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I called SportRx to get an idea of what type of glasses would work out for me with my high astigmatism.
They could only recommend the Oaklay Mainlnk and Crosslink which don't really appeal to me and my local optometrist can get those for me. Was hoping more for a shield type of glasses.
I currently wear Rudy Project Rydons.
I have the clip on Rx insert but it's not comfy. I'm also tired of putting on contacts.
My prescription requires a flatter lens. The Rydons had to be "flattened" a bit when I first got them cuz the curvature resulted in some distortion. Not perfect but it does the job.

Wondering what has worked for others with high astigmatism.

For those that understand it, here's my Rx
Sphere Cyl Axis
OD -4.50 -2.50 003
ID -4.25 -3.50 002
Why not a pair of Rudys with a prescription lens. I have a pair with photochromatic lenses that I can use day or evening, rain or shine. I have some astigmatism and need a fair amount of correction. They work great.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:39 PM

Frogskin

Frogskin might work, but they are not ideal for cycling.
Heck, they are even a step back for leisure/style glasses in terms of function.
Frames are not bendable, and they also lack the rubber (unobtainium) earpieces and nosepiece that helps keep the glasses in place.

If RX does not work with their "cycling" glasses, you may want to look at something like the Oakley Crosslink series- they have the features that will make the glasses for like sport specific glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
My son's rx is similar to yours. One of the Oakley frames that worked for him was the Frogskin. The flatter profile of the frame allowed a stronger rx compared to the models with more wrap.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:10 PM

Which Rudy's do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Why not a pair of Rudys with a prescription lens. I have a pair with photochromatic lenses that I can use day or evening, rain or shine. I have some astigmatism and need a fair amount of correction. They work great.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:12 PM

I have strong astigmatism aswell, You need to leave behind anything that is too curved and as somebody mentioned, probably look onto the flat models or just go and find something like a light sports nike or oakley frame that actually can be used with your prescription.

Talked a couple of years ago with a guy in a store in colorado that actually could cut me a set of glasses using my prescription, they said I was just at the limit they could do, and pretty much only one frame was going to work that was curved enogh (actually was the less curvy of all they had), the problem was that was going to cost me one leg and one arm. If you have the money call the guys somebody recommended you but sure wont be cheap at all.

I'm still using a discontinued 6 years old nike frame because cant find anything similar yet. ANd havent been able to find another frame even at ebay, soon will be in the same boat than you tho... new shades... :/
Old 08-28-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Which Rudy's do you have?
I have a set of Rydon with the RX lens. My older pair were Ketyeums with an RX insert. With the insert, I never changed lenses because I prefer the photichromatic lenses for everything. So this time I went with the direct-in-frame RX option.

I went to a local optometrist who sells them to get fit and try's a few samples on. But you can also buy direct (I'm not inclined because I want to have local service available).

http://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/fi...t%20in%20frame
Old 08-28-2016, 06:51 PM

I'm told the Rydons are too curved for direct Rx lenses. The Ketyum was proposed a few years back but not crazy about that model.

Looking at some vids on the Oakley Crosslink line has opened me up to them. I'll ask my optometrist if they can do them in a photochromic lens.
I'm guessing this will run me about $800.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:17 PM

not the answer you're lookin for but I have a high astigmatism and use rayban wayfarers on the road.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:20 PM

I have the Rudy Stratofly with polarization, Transitions, prescription, progressive bifocals, and grey tint. They are heavily curved though so I don't think they will work for you. Why not try a set of standard sunglasses like Ray Bans with a prescription lens? Not ideal but it could work.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I'm told the Rydons are too curved for direct Rx lenses. The Ketyum was proposed a few years back but not crazy about that model.

Looking at some vids on the Oakley Crosslink line has opened me up to them. I'll ask my optometrist if they can do them in a photochromic lens.
I'm guessing this will run me about $800.
Maybe the lens insert would work best for your level of correction? The ability to swap lenses can be nice if you're inclined. The only downside was some fogging in really, damp weather, primarily when on the MTB.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:08 PM
North of 49th

Danny

I have a similar optical challenge with high astigmatism, a complex script and light sensitivity.

Curvature is an issue on all the glasses that I tried. With the help of a great local optician, who recommended Adidas with RX inserts, it solved my problem. I have both the Evil Eye Pro and the Adizero Tempo models. The RX inserts are easily interchanged between these two models as well as others.

The lenses I have are anti-fog and I have had no issues riding in wet weather..
Old 08-28-2016, 09:22 PM

Strange that they would say that....I have similar Rx and got my prescription Rx through them. I got the Rudy Project and I think they are are the Horus model but let me check. They nailed the Rx right on and it was the first style of wrap-arounds I have ever worn.

Yep, here they are

http://www.sportrx.com/rudy-project-horus.html

I got them with the dawn to dusk tinting package and love them.

Last edited by malbecman; 08-28-2016 at 09:25 PM.