Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2016, 01:09 PM

computer recommendation?

i have a garmin 810 that i like a lot. but since they've gone to touchscreen, i deal with a lot more glare than i did with the original 705. this is mitigated if i leave the backlight on max, but of course that sucks battery life on longer rides. so i'm considering a gps based non-touchscreen replacement. hard buttons are just fine for me.

along with the basic functions, a few features of the garmin i'd like to keep in the replacement are:
ambient temp
ant+ heart rate
elevation gain/loss
grade

zero need for mapping or routing. the elevation graphic is nice, but i can lose it and not miss it.
another garmin model would be ideal so i can continue to keep all my ride data on their garmin connect website.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:09 PM

In every post about computers, I mention Lezyne GPS computers. They're fantastic. Truly fantastic. Small device, big enough display, customizable, not touch screen, insanely good battery life.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudingWalrus View Post
In every post about computers, I mention Lezyne GPS computers. They're fantastic. Truly fantastic. Small device, big enough display, customizable, not touch screen, insanely good battery life.
Many thanks for the heads up; did the research, went with the super GPS model.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 PM

Looks good.
Hows it do in direct sunlight?
Is that quarter mount compatible with garmin mounts?
Is there a good way to consolidate ride data from garmin and lezyne?
Last question. What do you upload lezyne ride data to anyway?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudingWalrus View Post
These look interesting.

I have only ever used basic Cateye computers, so I have no experience with GPS, etc.

1) How do these work? One has to have one's phone (iPhone in my case) always on board?
2) It looks like the only difference between Power GPS and Super GPS is Bluetooth Smart only versus ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart. What would be the reason(s) to also have ANT+?
3) "Reads Bluetooth Smart or ANT+ equipped heart rate, cadence/speed and power sensors." One buys these separately? I don't see any on the Lezyne site; any recommendations for good sensors, primarily cadence/speed?
4) And yes, as vqdriver asked: how is the visibility in bright sunlight?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:33 PM

computer recommendation?

Great visibility in direct sunlight. The same as any traditional computer like a cateye.

It is not the same as a Garmin mount, which is half turn. Lezyne has two mounts available, and bar fly is working on theirs if they aren't out already.

I would imagine if you ran training peaks you could see all of your data if you uploaded it there. I just use strava.

I end the ride, save it on the device. Then open my phone and go to the Lezyne app and sync it. I have it set to auto upload with strava.
Lezyne computers with connectivity can upload after the ride to your phone, which you need not have with you while you ride.
All three current lezyne computers can also be plugged into your actual computer/laptop and you can do whatever you want with the file.

If you already had sensors that were only ant+ then you would want to spring for the Super. If you didn't currently own sensors, the power is sufficient. The super is slightly larger than the power.

I've allegedly heard from the folks at lezyne and there may be some announcements forthcoming. More computers, and peripherals like sensors. Allegedly.

As it is, I use Garmin magnetless sensors for speed and cadence, and a powertap powercal for hr/power. Have also used it with a powertap, stages, pioneer and quarq for power successfully.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 PM

Thanks much.

No, I do not have any ANT+, so I guess the Power would be fine.

When you say that you use "Garmin magnetless sensors for speed and cadence" do you mean these?
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod146897.html

Those are really expensive!
Are there any less expensive alternatives, so I could buy the three sets of speed/cadence sensors (no need for power meter) for three bikes; three computer mounts; and one Power GPS to use between all three bikes?
Old 08-28-2016, 07:53 AM

Do you want a laptop?
Old 08-28-2016, 07:54 AM

Something like these http://pc4u.org/best-laptop-under-500-dollars/