Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 03:08 PM

Travel Frame - S&S Issues

In order to avoid oversized luggage charges imposed by airlines, I plan to retrofit my 56 cm Serotta Classique Ti with S&S couplers. If possible, I would like to avoid removing the fork to pack the bike into a 26"x26"x10" hard case. This frame (NOS that I purchased two years ago) has a 1' diameter steerer tube and a non-threaded fork.

One solution is to install two couplers on each of the top and down tubes. I believe that this would permit the fork to remain attached to the head tube (and possibly allow the handlebars and stem to remain attached to the fork).

A second solution might be to install a Grand Cru Rinko travel headset and a VO threadless stem adapter. Thus, I would have a quill stem that would permit the fork to remain attached to the head tube.

A third solution is to purchase a Zinn coupled travel stem.

I am aware that each proposed solution comes with a price, both in terms of dollars, weight, and functionality.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with any of the above alternatives?

Thanks. EWO
Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 PM

I have a retrofitted 56 cm Serotta Fierte Ti. This fits fine in the travel box without removing the fork, or the stem. You do have to remove the front brake so that the fork will turn around backwards. After that, it is easy peasy.

In the attached picture, you see the front portion of the frame and turned around fork under the rear wheel, without the remainder of the bike packed. Everything has black packing stuff around the components, as it came from Bilenky.

Hope this helps to visualize.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serotta in box1.jpg (58.6 KB, 717 views)

Last edited by 572cv; 10-20-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Vendor

Before you put saw to frame, run the math... I'm skeptical if an S&S bike really saves any money and also requires master mechanical ability to reassemble at each destination.
I've been charged $50 to $150 extra, each way, when I fly with an "oversized" bike case. Sometimes I haven't been charged at all. How much will it cost to do the S&S conversion? How many times will you fly with the bike? With all the new airline surcharges I've had a couple friends get hit with additional bag charge for the S&S cases.
If you do fly a lot you probably belong to a high-mileage club which usually gets you complimentary oversized luggage anyway.
Thoughts?

Last edited by RedRider; 10-20-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:50 PM
aka RAEKWON

not to mention that when TSA puts your bike back in the SS case they just jam it in there and can scratch and dent your frame. I wanted an SS bike for a while but after really thinking about it, it doesnt seem like the answer for traveling with bikes.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:54 PM

I have a coupled bike. If you use the TSA net, it stays reasonably intact if inspected. That said, don't expect the finish to look like it's straight off the show room after you travel with it. I think an older Ti bike is a great candidate for conversion for this reason.

My travel bike pushes the limits of what the standard size case will allow (I'm 6'5") so not removing the fork isn't an option for me. That said, why are you so averse to taking the fork off? With a threadless headset/stem, removal will take about thirty seconds, as will reinstallation. Just keep any loose headset parts in a plastic bag with some packing peanuts and you'll mitigate any risk of damage to the headset. If you're concerned about damage to the steerer, though, that's a different story and one that depends on your fork.

I'll also add that if you use the cable splitters, reassembly shouldn't take more than twenty minutes from opening your case to having a fully functional bicycle.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
Before you put saw to frame run the math... I'm skeptical if an S&S bike really saves any money and also requires master mechanical ability to reassemble at each destination.
I've been charged $50 to $150 extra, each way, when I fly with an "oversized" bike case. Sometimes I haven't been charged at all. How much will it cost to do the S&S conversion? How many times will you fly with the bike? With all the new airline surcharges I've had a couple friends get hit with additional bag charge for the S&S cases.
If you do fly a lot you probably belong to a high-mileage club which usually gets you complimentary oversized luggage anyway.
Thoughts?
From a financial perspective, you do have to use a travel bike a bit to make it work out financially. One way in which a travel bike can make things a lot easier is moving it around when packed, particularly through the airport and getting it into a rental car since the normal cases can be challenging to fit in the car if it's not pretty decent-sized.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 PM

It's worth doing, even if it doesn't pay back IMO. And with your 56cm frame, you won't need to take out the fork. My wife's S&S Serotta Fierte is a 56, with a 270mm steerer tube on the fork, and it fits in the case without having to remove the fork.

My 60cm frame is another story, though. Fork gets pulled.

FYI, I also remove the cassette before packing the rear wheel. As you can see in the pic above, it can come close to really scratching the frame member next to it.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:24 PM

if you put a sliced plastic hose

over the tube that comes close to the cassette, chances of scratching that tube are way minimized.

And yes if you are going to jump into S&S approach adding 5 minutes to remove the fork ain't gonna change the equation hardly at all. Pick a mantra, take your time, and you'll like yourself better each time you do the deed.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:28 PM

I've been through this drill.......

You will be able to leave the fork attached but I HIGHLY doubt you'll be able to leave the stem and bars attached. The case leaves very little room.

I recommend the threadless attachment and a threadless stem, which will likely have to be removed from the bars as well as the fork attachment.

The smaller the pieces, the easier it is to pack this thing.

I had my Serotta CIII coupled by Bilenky. They did a superb job. I also bought the pads from them, which was the best money I've spent in a long time. They cut to them to the size of each tube and labeled each one.

As for checking the bike with TSA - When you check in with your airline, they will make you take it to the TSA X-Ray machine. Tell the TSA people what's inside and that you'd like to have them run it through the machine and then you'd like to lock it yourself or have them lock it for you. I've found this works. They did not open my case and allowed me to lock it. But I didn't leave until they were satisfied that they were done with it. Then I locked it up and took the key with me.

Reassembly is a PITA but if you're a good mechanic it's worth it. Having your own bike with you is really nice. But it's not a super quick process.

The simpler you make this, the happier you'll be. I would even think about having down tube shifters. Removing the tires from the wheels makes them much easier to pack.

I've had two S&S bikes. They have been great for me but they're probably not for everyone.

As mentioned, it's an expensive option and a fairly involved process to pack the bike, check it in and reassemble it. But I did it this summer a few times and enjoyed the results.

I could probably write a small book with tips and suggestions for people serious about this.

But yeah, a threadless fork is the way to go. If you have Bilenky convert it, you might think about having them convert the fork to a threadless one. But then things start to get expensive and it's already a $1000 job we're talking about with conversion and pads and case.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I've been through this drill.......

You will be able to leave the fork attached but I HIGHLY doubt you'll be able to leave the stem and bars attached. The case leaves very little room.

I recommend the threadless attachment and a threadless stem, which will likely have to be removed from the bars as well as the fork attachment.

The smaller the pieces, the easier it is to pack this thing.

I had my Serotta CIII coupled by Bilenky. They did a superb job. I also bought the pads from them, which was the best money I've spent in a long time. They cut to them to the size of each tube and labeled each one.

As for checking the bike with TSA - When you check in with your airline, they will make you take it to the TSA X-Ray machine. Tell the TSA people what's inside and that you'd like to have them run it through the machine and then you'd like to lock it yourself or have them lock it for you. I've found this works. They did not open my case and allowed me to lock it. But I didn't leave until they were satisfied that they were done with it. Then I locked it up and took the key with me.

Reassembly is a PITA but if you're a good mechanic it's worth it. Having your own bike with you is really nice. But it's not a super quick process.

The simpler you make this, the happier you'll be. I would even think about having down tube shifters. Removing the tires from the wheels makes them much easier to pack.

I've had two S&S bikes. They have been great for me but they're probably not for everyone.

As mentioned, it's an expensive option and a fairly involved process to pack the bike, check it in and reassemble it. But I did it this summer a few times and enjoyed the results.

I could probably write a small book with tips and suggestions for people serious about this.

But yeah, a threadless fork is the way to go. If you have Bilenky convert it, you might think about having them convert the fork to a threadless one. But then things start to get expensive and it's already a $1000 job we're talking about with conversion and pads and case.
I second everything saab has said. it took me about 30 minutes to put it together and about the same to pack. and when you're traveling and you need to meet a schedule, you need to plan accordingly. the handlebars really take up a bit of space, even taking it off, it's tricky getting it all in the box. threadless fork/stem is the way to go. with so much to do in putting the bike together, the last thing I want to do is mounting tires!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
with so much to do in putting the bike together, the last thing I want to do is mounting tires!
Mostly agree but......

The wheels fit in way easier with the tires off and putting them on only adds a few minutes to the assembly, if they're already stretched. They have to be fully deflated in any case.

I carry a full-sized Zéfal HPx frame pump with me for assembly and inflation of the tires. It gets them to 100 PSI in a reasonable amount of time and it's legal, which CO2 cartridges aren't if you're going on an airplane.

Simplicity is your friend and as Fogrider says, you must plan. Carry a few extra things like water bottle bolts and stem bolts and things that might get lost. I got some chain links and the appropriate tool and it make things way simpler as the first time I did it the chain got seriously tangled and twisted.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:53 PM

as i recall, one of my coupled bikes was a retroed

Rivendell Rambouillet 58 cm, threaded fork. It fit in the case just fine with fork left on.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Rivendell Rambouillet 58 cm, threaded fork. It fit in the case just fine with fork left on.
How do you do with the bars and stem?
Old 10-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Vendor

Are your travel, S&S, bikes your primary ones or do you have others?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:40 PM

Other Bikes

The Ti S&S bike is a regular ride. I also have a steel Alliance built by Erik Rolfe and a Brompton that I ride to the office. My dream frame (Pegoretti, Seven, IF, or Eriksen) will have to wait.