Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
For sheer stopping power in a cantilever brake I'd suggest buying mini V brakes and depositing the cantilevers in the nearest trash receptacle
Yes. Paul mini motos especially.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:26 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

PM sent on a set of Paul's cantis

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
They look great in pictures. Then you try to buy them and 2 months later you're back here starting a thread about how he took your money and still hasn't shipped anything.
Glad I didn't bite.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
TRP Revo X!

Best canti's I've ever used. I've owned Euro-X's and they don't come close to the Revo's. Paul's minimoto's are good but don't modulate much IMO. Shorty's work well but they're not the Revo's. I rode discs last season and went back Revo's this season and I don't miss the discs at all.
So far, this.

I've got RevoX brakes on 2 of 3 of my CX bikes. Just got the last one re-built after selling off all the SRAM parts and haven't ridden it yet. Probably go RevoX all the way round after riding the CXHairs, but for right now, its still has EuroX brakes on it

IME the RevoX seem to work better than Shorty Ultimates for the new Shimano shifters.

M
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
During post-race cleanup from my first CX event, I noticed two things:
1. Something is stripped in my EuroX cantis, so the post holding the pad can slip a little bit. Not terrible, but it's allowing the pad to slip slightly too low for the rim.

2. Sandy CX racing does a number on brake pads. Mine were already somewhat worn, so yesterday was a nail in a mostly-built coffin.

So, some questions to the group:
1. If I replace the brakes, what do people recommend for sheer stopping power in a canti brake? I hear Shorty Ultimates and Pauls (which ones?) a lot. They're pricey, but if they really work better it may be worth the spend.

2. I'll be getting my go-to aluminum rim pad (Swissstop BXP, the blue ones). They have a new "evo" design out that supposedly sheds water better. Anyone try it yet?
I've ridden my EuroX's through snow and dirt and gravel for … 2 years? Still perfect. Is everything tightened? they're my fave canti's so far - I have no idea why they're not more popular.

It's not possible to tighten the pad holder?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:48 PM

I had the same problem with the pad holder on my new euro’s. Bottoming the allen head at the end of the post did not solve the “movement”, as there was a little slop. So I took it apart, found a small washer that fit over the post, and filed opposite “sides” down flat to fit in the holder.Visualize a circle, with a flat top & bottom. Now it tightened up just fine!

I do like the brakes for cross, but for anything else, like the fast downhills at the D2R2 showed their weakness.

I’ll be trying mini-v’s eventually.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:19 PM

Shimano CX70s are the best cantis that I have tried. Many pros run them this season as well, Sven Nys for one.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM

I haven't tried them all (I have tried neo-retros, avid ultimates), but I'll add another vote for Shimano CX70s. If they are good enough for Sven... Plus, price wise they are a lot cheaper than avid ultimates, upper level TRP stuff, and Paul's neo retros. You can get enough for a whole bike for $100. The stock shimano pads are pretty decent too.

My one complaint is that the spring tension screw has a head for a phillips screw driver rather than an allen key. But it would be easy enough to replace these with allen bolts if I was so inclined. The good news is once I got the tension right I haven't needed to adjust it.

To sum it up, before I used CX70s I was always inclined to try another brake to see if it was better. I don't have that inclination anymore.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 AM

CX canti brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUdude View Post
I haven't tried them all (I have tried neo-retros, avid ultimates), but I'll add another vote for Shimano CX70s. If they are good enough for Sven... Plus, price wise they are a lot cheaper than avid ultimates, upper level TRP stuff, and Paul's neo retros. You can get enough for a whole bike for $100. The stock shimano pads are pretty decent too.

My one complaint is that the spring tension screw has a head for a phillips screw driver rather than an allen key. But it would be easy enough to replace these with allen bolts if I was so inclined. The good news is once I got the tension right I haven't needed to adjust it.

To sum it up, before I used CX70s I was always inclined to try another brake to see if it was better. I don't have that inclination anymore.

Good to hear. Those are quite a lot cheaper than other options I've seen.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:39 AM

TRP Mini Vs are excellent. If you're not riding in the mud very often you won't need the clearance that Cantis give you.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 PM

I have a pair of Avid Shorty Ultimates I'd let go for $130 dollars shipped. i ran and liked them until my CX bikes became disc bikes.

Tim.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:11 PM

CX canti brakes

Quote:
Good to hear. Those are quite a lot cheaper than other options I've seen.

Every once in a while you find something that just seems to work well without any fuss... CX70s are like that.

I could put something fancier on my Kirk, but the CX70s do the job so well, and they look alright too....

Instagram
Old 10-22-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
They look great in pictures. Then you try to buy them and 2 months later you're back here starting a thread about how he took your money and still hasn't shipped anything.
I have a brand new set if someone wants to buy them. Of course, they are missing one Ti bolt and a beveled washer, which I can't get from Ted. The brakes have been new in the box for 2 years. 15-20 emails, about 10 phone calls over the course of 2 years and my $400 brakes are still useless.

Yes, I am bitter.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 PM

Oh, and I'll toss another vote in for Shimano CX70 cantis, they work great. GREAT.